By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EIDOS not releasing major ps3 games until 2008

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23883

Eidos has confirmed that it won't be releasing most of its major PS3 titles until next year, stating that the console's installed base will not be high enough before then. As part of a statement released alongside the company's interim results for the six months ended December 31 2006, CEO Jane Cavanagh said, "We believe that PlayStation 3 will be a successful platform, and are developing technology and products for this console. "However, as we do not believe that the installed base will be high enough until the second half of our 2008 financial year, most of our major product releases on the PlayStation 3 platform are not scheduled before that date."

Around the Network

Well, no Tomb Radier, but something worse than that is the why they aren't bringing there games until later, how many third parties feel like that?

Alacrist said: Well, no Tomb Radier, but something worse than that is the why they aren't bringing there games until later, how many third parties feel like that?
I guess they want more sales, or at least see a good sales forcast before commiting time and effort to the product. I suspect there are a few who feel the same, now it's up to Sony and 'freinds' to say... "Hey!. Come on down and develop with us."

Good to see this site is still going 

Quartz said: I guess they want more sales, or at least see a good sales forcast before commiting time and effort to the product. I suspect there are a few who feel the same, now it's up to Sony and 'freinds' to say... "Hey!. Come on down and develop with us."
I know and that's the problem think if Square-Enix said ummmmmmmmmmmmm..........................we are delaying FFXIII until we feel the user base is bigger, do you know how much that would hurt Sony.(Though that is unlikely to happen)

Damn doesn't this mean that PS3 might find it in a position like this: No userbase => no games => no growing userbase? Well it is only one company but I mean this is ridiculus.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

I was mentioning this type of behavior before and was told that "Publishers don't do that" by people who didn't understand ... Generally speaking third party publishers have no interest in making a platform successful; they only want to publish their game on a successful platform to make money. With the size and rate of growth of the PS3's userbase publishers are going to be considering delaying games in order to wait for the userbase to grow; this means that many exclusive games will be delayed and multi-platform games may get a timed exclusivity on the XBox 360.

HappySqurriel said: I was mentioning this type of behavior before and was told that "Publishers don't do that" by people who didn't understand ... Generally speaking third party publishers have no interest in making a platform successful; they only want to publish their game on a successful platform to make money. With the size and rate of growth of the PS3's userbase publishers are going to be considering delaying games in order to wait for the userbase to grow; this means that many exclusive games will be delayed and multi-platform games may get a timed exclusivity on the XBox 360.
Snowball Effect - More exclusive, more games, more users - 360 wins... I get FF on my 360, everyone goes home happy.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said: HappySqurriel said: I was mentioning this type of behavior before and was told that "Publishers don't do that" by people who didn't understand ... Generally speaking third party publishers have no interest in making a platform successful; they only want to publish their game on a successful platform to make money. With the size and rate of growth of the PS3's userbase publishers are going to be considering delaying games in order to wait for the userbase to grow; this means that many exclusive games will be delayed and multi-platform games may get a timed exclusivity on the XBox 360. Snowball Effect - More exclusive, more games, more users - 360 wins... I get FF on my 360, everyone goes home happy.
Everyone = gebx But it is nice to know where you stand.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Yeah Eidos has stated this before. In fact, I could have sworn they mentioned this when they announced Tomb Raider Legend for GC. I remember around that time SNK remarked that they wouldn't release any PS3 titles until 2009.

Alacrist said: Quartz said: I guess they want more sales, or at least see a good sales forcast before commiting time and effort to the product. I suspect there are a few who feel the same, now it's up to Sony and 'freinds' to say... "Hey!. Come on down and develop with us." I know and that's the problem think if Square-Enix said ummmmmmmmmmmmm..........................we are delaying FFXIII until we feel the user base is bigger, do you know how much that would hurt Sony.(Though that is unlikely to happen)
I am sure it will happen. As they did with FFVII on PSP...