By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Standard and Premium Memberships

What if VgChartz starts charging a monthly fee to view sales numbers?

I won't pay. 334 75.57%

I'll pay. 23 5.20%

I'll go to BugriChartz instead. 85 19.23%

Total:442
ioi said:

And yes, staff members will get free standard access to data... will be one of the perks of the job.

wait, does bugrimmar get free access too? wasn't he who brought up the topic and allowed thee to address your public??

and if you don't give bugrimmar free membership, BugriChartz will really take off... :O

i want i want i want..

*lick ioi*

Around the Network

No way would I pay.

kowenicki said:
libellule said:
so it is not a joke ? come on ?

99$ , it is just too expensive !

the forums and the majority of data would still be free.... you dont have to pay the $99

TRUE true true ... true

Time to Work !

Well I am here for the community more than the numbers TBH, so this subscription fee debate not an issue to me.

it is more for the industry investors not for us normal people with little interest in numbers (i think).

^^^ This is what you get for blowing a rumor out of proportion

Chocobo brain damage!!! Here, drink this diet Coke..*runs*

Currently playing :

VC - Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Wii - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
DS - Glory of Heracels

^^
What if the community worsens, with a surge of elitism amongst pay subscribers? Will pay subscribers bully or patronize free ones when discussing games beyond the Top50 the data of which the former will have full access to and the former won't? Will the latter flame them in retaliation answering that if they don't see personally the data they aren't bound to believe what the former say?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

As long as it helps increasing data quality, I guess I am fine with it.

Also, ioi has to live off something.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

ioi said:

Well since this thread has been created, it makes sense to fill you in on some of the plans.

For VGC 3.0 we are planning 3 levels of access for data:

• Free where you can see top 20 charts each week (top 50 rankings), top 10 per console (top 30 rankings), hardware, top 10 preorders (top 30 rankings), new features like milesones, weekly records. Will be enough to have an overview and to discuss trends.
  • Standard membership (~$99 per year) where you can see top 200 per week, top 50 per console, top 50 per publisher, top 100 preorders, extra comparison tools, maybe top level download charts, maybe no ads.
  • Premium membership (for industry) where you can see all data as well as some fancy tools for analysing revenues, year on year data, anticipation metrics plus much more.

So you won't HAVE to pay to view data but if you do subscribe it gives you access to more data. Unfortunately, the data-collection side to VGChartz has got to a point now where it is costing more to run than it is generating in ad revenue, therefore we need to move to a new costing model to continue to grow and improve the service. The data certainly won't be going anywhere but you'll only be able to see top-level data for free with the new site. It's more a case of adding new stuff and charging to use it than charging for what is already there.

Well I don't see why I should pay, since someone will say those top 200 for free, I'm sure. And in the comments of those preorder charts and others, we will see som1 saying top 100.

And I'm pretty sure, someone will make threads about those.

Also, many people,like me, never pay for something on the internet..

We made this site what it is now, and now you wan't us to pay..

Take my love, take my land..

I'd get them free, woo!

Simulacrum said:
ioi said:

Well since this thread has been created, it makes sense to fill you in on some of the plans.

For VGC 3.0 we are planning 3 levels of access for data:

• Free where you can see top 20 charts each week (top 50 rankings), top 10 per console (top 30 rankings), hardware, top 10 preorders (top 30 rankings), new features like milesones, weekly records. Will be enough to have an overview and to discuss trends.
  • Standard membership (~$99 per year) where you can see top 200 per week, top 50 per console, top 50 per publisher, top 100 preorders, extra comparison tools, maybe top level download charts, maybe no ads.
  • Premium membership (for industry) where you can see all data as well as some fancy tools for analysing revenues, year on year data, anticipation metrics plus much more.

So you won't HAVE to pay to view data but if you do subscribe it gives you access to more data. Unfortunately, the data-collection side to VGChartz has got to a point now where it is costing more to run than it is generating in ad revenue, therefore we need to move to a new costing model to continue to grow and improve the service. The data certainly won't be going anywhere but you'll only be able to see top-level data for free with the new site. It's more a case of adding new stuff and charging to use it than charging for what is already there.

Well I don't see why I should pay, since someone will say those top 200 for free, I'm sure. And in the comments of those preorder charts and others, we will see som1 saying top 100.

And I'm pretty sure, someone will make threads about those.

Also, many people,like me, never pay for something on the internet..

We made this site what it is now, and now you wan't us to pay..

It's a different story if he is already earning enough money now with the ads.
But as you can see he cannot make a living with the income he has now

Think about it from his view, not your own.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

We can now compare games sales data for 400 weeks at the Charts section. Will we need to pay for that in the future?

And what happens when you have a subscription and you're banned? Do you get your money back? (this could get ugly when people feel like sueing)