By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you happy with the direction of the videogame industry

As I've said in other similar threads, I'm not happy with the state of the industry. But mostly because I see it as just being an extension of the previous 'console wars' and 'graphics vs content' going on last gen, but extended way beyond tolerable levels. Now everything has become targeted directly at types of 'gamers' (casual vs hardcore) or the systems they like (wii and ds vs PS3/XBOX360/PSP). Its no longer about being able to enjoy a game or playing the game, its about playing the RIGHT game or owning the right system, and that's just sad.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

i am, except for motion controls

Yes and No.

I am happy with Nintendo's strategy as it's making video games mainstream. The audience on a site like this will be very different in 10-20 years than it is now. With everyone from girls to grandmas in these discussions (and more balanced discussions because of it).

I am not happy that noone outside of Nintendo (and even Nintendo at times) seems to know how to capitalize on this huge new world. Everyone else keeps churning out the same games, with prettier graphics, as before. Except it's costing them so much damn money now they can't make a profit. The industry is headed for a crash. I fear a couple big studios will go bankrupt, causing investors to flee the market (except Nintendo) causing more studios to go under. This will have a disproportional effect on HD consoles as Wii gets some of it's best games from small studios (HVS, Grasshopper, Platinum) which can exist on 350k Wii games and Nintendo of course, whereas HD consoles (especially 360) are dependant on 3rd parties like EA, Activision and Ubisoft to exist.

If such a crash does happen Sony is totally and completely f---ed. They'll never sell enough software to ever come close to recooping PS3 loses. I would not be surprised if they pull out as MS has deep enough pockets to continue fighting them despite endless loses until Sony is pushed out. Then MS will have the 'core' monopoly and can be profitable for years with the 360.

The games media is growing ever more out of touch with the gaming market now. They are catering to an ever more niche game enthusiast and growing ever more vocal and unprofessional about how Nintendo and it's fans are killing gaming.

I expect to see a lot of market correction in the next couple of years. It'll be an interesting show to watch, but it won't be pretty.

Hell No

Since M$ came into the Consolebusiness the FPS on consoles started to take over and look where are we now...
Every 2nd game is a brainless FPS....Call of Duty 34 has 1 more Weapon than Call of Duty 33 - OMG here are my money!This is so awesome!
I loved the time when every 2nd game was a 50 hour long J-RPG with an epic Story,good chars and so on and not a 5 hour long FPS.

I HATE all this Online Multiplayer crap thing.
A lot of games getting crap Singleplayer because the devs focus on Multiplayer.

And now every one wants to show their waggles and Natalshit stuff.

No, The fact that the generation reverted to a mix of Atari and NES era. We got people who downplay wii games because of haveing inferior hardware and a more simple control schme.
The fact it won because they changing everything. And the fact that local muiltiplayer games are being treated less because of online. Than we got 2 consoles that are trying to be PCs. One that's trying to be the 2nd NES. Its as if Wii=Atari,Colcovision and ittellavision is the HD consoles. The one that's trying to be diffrent is the one that get's hated. Let's just hope the company that wins next generation is the one that trys to expand te audiance instead of milking the same ones. That's the one who should win. AKA why NES,PS1 and Wii all deasearve to win in their generations. Let's hope we get anthor system that does that

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
Is gaming journalism included in this? If so, I like the overall direction of the video gaming industry except for the following:

- What gaming journalism has become ( Too much personal opinion mixed in with the facts)

- Motion controls (Wii, Natal, PS Wand)

- over-saturation of shooters

- Too much anger over videogames (It can get really weird)

Couldnt have said it better.

Oh and I forget to mention. Let's put a end to all the console wars crap. Its dumb and childish. Let's just accept that somone else has a diffrent opnion than you! And not call them or think them as a blind fanboy

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

YES !

DD mehh.
Online - nowhere what i want.
3d games - interesting
more powerful hardware - hell yahh

Not really:

1. Mainstream gaming is killing off innovation.

2. The game reviewing media has become a steaming pile of shit.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!