By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will 2010 Be the Best Year for Wii, or will it fall apart?

I was prepared to welcome 2010 as the Best Year for Wii, with lots of third party titles coming that I've been waiting for, many of which look very promising.

But the recent arguments over whether 3rd parties are jumping ship or not has started to taint my anticipation greatly.  As much as I enjoyed SH: SM and FFCB, neither title cleared more than 50K during their first month... although on the flip side, it is possible that either of them could have legs and eventually become long-term successes, although that DOES remain to be seen.

Even so, I am now beginning to feel that 2010 won't be so wonderful after all.  The doom and gloom atmosphere is almost enough to make me want to stop playing the games I have, feeling that nothing else will ever come.  Am I wrong to think that?

Which leads me to the question:  Will 2010 still be a wonderful year for Wii, or will it be the worst year ever?

Around the Network

Let me ask you something. This is important, so I want you to answer it.

What'd you think, going into 2009?

I thought 2009 would offer some more variety in terms of games, and in many ways it did, but hearing that the sales were very low that year was pretty disheartening. I'm not sure what 2010 be like.

Did you buy all the games that interested you last year?

Yes, I bought most of them:

Tenchu 4
Broken Sword
A Boy and His Blob
Silent Hill SM
FFCB
Cursed Mountain
Little King's Story
Rune Factory Frontier
NSMBWii

All those games I purchased and are proudly sitting on my shelf.

Around the Network

Ah, I see. Well, I didn't. I bought quite a few, but I couldn't afford all of them for many different reasons.

The way I see it is that with or without big amount of major third party support, we'll still get enough - from the little guys and from Nintendo - that even folks like you and me will have too much to be able to play everything to satisfaction.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is out. Wii has nothing to worry about in 2010.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

You're looking too far ahead it seems.. All you have to do is look at the titles announced for this year:

Mario Galaxy 2
Tales of Graces
Monster Hunter 3
Fragile
Red Steel 2
Endless Ocean 2
Epic Mickey
Metroid: Other M
The Grinder
Dynamic Slash
Sin and Punishment 2
Mega Man 10
Super Monkey Ball: Step and Roll

I don't know about you, but that's more than enough for me in 2010, and I'm sure we will here more coming at E3. If 3rd parties are really jumping ship in droves as you say, we won't really see the effects of that until 2011 anyway. I don't think there will be a substantial difference in 3rd party games in the coming years for Wii though. If anything, I still think it will be better as the userbase continues to increase and developers get more comfortable with Wii development. Hell it doesn't take much to improve upon.

2010 is great so far:

January: SkyCrawlers, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, No More Heroes 2

February: Shiren the Wanderer, Super Monkey Ball, Endless Ocean 2

March: Calling, Fragile, Red Steel 2, Sakura Wars

April: Monster Hunter Tri, Trauma Team, Aragorn's Quest

3+ good games per month seems pretty good to me...

plenty of games to keep me busy on wii alone. I got out 4 of 5 systems this gen though, far too many games.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X