By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix is lazier than Nintendo...

Yes, you don't understand what is gameplay.

According to you, it seems like gameplay should be "push buttons".

Have a nice day :)

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

SquareEnix isn't lazy. They just put 95% of all their energy into two series. Aka Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. And they're letting all their old properties die off. Pretty soon the only thing they'll have is Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. And if they aren't careful, they may not even have Dragon Quest in the future the way they keep using it as a siphon filter to fund their over-extended Final Fantasy brand.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I hate how my "editorial" became a disscussion between hishiru and rage-bot

"SquareEnix isn't lazy. They just put 95% of all their energy into two series. Aka Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. And they're letting all their old properties die off. Pretty soon the only thing they'll have is Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. And if they aren't careful, they may not even have Dragon Quest in the future the way they keep using it as a siphon filter to fund their over-extended Final Fantasy brand."

Why would DQ be in trouble when it makes more profit? FF would be more in trouble, considering the inflating time and costs while the sales aren't growing.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

morenoingrato said:

It's Ragebot, without the "-" :(

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
"SquareEnix isn't lazy. They just put 95% of all their energy into two series. Aka Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. And they're letting all their old properties die off. Pretty soon the only thing they'll have is Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. And if they aren't careful, they may not even have Dragon Quest in the future the way they keep using it as a siphon filter to fund their over-extended Final Fantasy brand."

Why would DQ be in trouble when it makes more profit? FF would be more in trouble, considering the inflating time and costs while the sales aren't growing.

Wasn't saying Dragon Quest would be in trouble.  Was insinuating if they keep treating Dragon Quest as a secondary property, like they did Chrono, Mana, etc, the creator may try to leave SquareEnix.  He (as in Yuji Horii, creator of Dragon Quest) didn't exactly have any say in the SquareEnix merger, yet its his series that made Enix was it is today and is heavily funding the companies endeavors.  If it was me, I'd be worried my future wasn't exactly solid when a company takes the money from the game I made (DQIX) and puts it directly into marketing a multi-million dollar ad campaign for a game that isn't even selling half as well (FFXIII).

"Wasn't saying Dragon Quest would be in trouble. Was insinuating if they keep treating Dragon Quest as a secondary property, like they did Chrono, Mana, etc, the creator may try to leave SquareEnix. He (as in Yuji Horii, creator of Dragon Quest) didn't exactly have any say in the SquareEnix merger, yet its his series that made Enix was it is today and is heavily funding the companies endeavors. If it was me, I'd be worried my future wasn't exactly solid when a company takes the money from the game I made (DQIX) and puts it directly into marketing a multi-million dollar ad campaign for a game that isn't even selling half as well (FFXIII)."

1. Okay, I see what you mean.

2. They took development money for the marketing money? Where did you hear that?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Wasn't saying Dragon Quest would be in trouble. Was insinuating if they keep treating Dragon Quest as a secondary property, like they did Chrono, Mana, etc, the creator may try to leave SquareEnix. He (as in Yuji Horii, creator of Dragon Quest) didn't exactly have any say in the SquareEnix merger, yet its his series that made Enix was it is today and is heavily funding the companies endeavors. If it was me, I'd be worried my future wasn't exactly solid when a company takes the money from the game I made (DQIX) and puts it directly into marketing a multi-million dollar ad campaign for a game that isn't even selling half as well (FFXIII)."

1. Okay, I see what you mean.

2. They took development money for the marketing money? Where did you hear that?

SquareEnix Quarterly report from last year.  I didn't hear them taking money specifically from Dragon Quest, but as past evidence has shown from those reports, they do use their money from their combined company to fund both sides now.  So its only logical a portion of the money they just made from their massive DQIX sales has to go into the development and marketing costs of FFXIII, which was going way over deadline.

morenoingrato said:

To tell  you the truth, I think Square Enix is completely right. They can't open their IP for every fan that appears with a project. What if they want to make a remake in the future using their resources, employes, design etc? You are just seeing things the way you want. I am a CT fan and I am happy that SE didn't accepted this fan project, because after all, it's just a fan project.

Hisiru said:
morenoingrato said:

To tell  you the truth, I think Square Enix is completely right. They can't open their IP for every fan that appears with a project. What if they want to make a remake in the future using their resources, employes, design etc? You are just seeing things the way you want. I am a CT fan and I am happy that SE didn't accepted this fan project, because after all, it's just a fan project.

Well, on the one hand I'm somewhat happy that fan project didn't come to fruition as well.  Simply because I grow tired of a million 'remakes' and fans trying to relive the NES/SNES games in 3D.  But on the other hand...what exactly is SquareEnix doing to improve/expand the Chrono series?  A DS enhanced port after a 13 year hiatus?  ANd then some CEOs teasing us saying 'if you want more Chrono games, buy the DS port' only to turn around and say 'people must not like Chrono cuz the game sold poorly' (when it sold a million copies). 

Clearly its just another example of the guys at SquareEnix only caring about focusing on series that they know can sell multi-million and just jumping back to the safety of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts.  With this kind of mentality, why should we keep waiting for SquareEnix to bring out a new Chrono game?  Or any new game that isn't FF/KH/DQ.