By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - microsoft, the king of trash talking

stof said: What I don't get is why anyone even turns this into a news story. If I was interviewing a corporate spokesperson/CEO of a gaming company and they said something like this of the competition, in my interview I'd cut out those statements and type *mudsling babble*. Really, statements like that shouldn't be listened too, let alone discussed.
Every time the corporate CEO's or presidents of anything game related make a shart, we hear about it lol. I agree that their voices have gotten to big lately.

Around the Network

It cracks me up when they have a swipe at another company, but what i dont get is that they never are good smack talkers. Surely they could hire someone of the street to write something up for them.......

Narfer said: you mention mario sports games, well, those are secondary to EA. name one exclusive sports franchise for the box that isnt complete jank? im not trying to be harsh here, im just making my point, and my point is if you want real hardcore sports games, you need the wii. and dont even argue graphics, cause EA makes em all the same for the systems, seriously, you can NOT tell the difference i dont care what TV you have. wii is the sports system now, and the xbox never was i dont think. it just has alot of jank sports games that no one gets.
I just meant visually realistic games. I don't care for those types of games anyway. Ill take Mario baseball over any EA or other baseball game out these for example. Im just saying if you want the realy realistic stuff then the 360 is for you. Most of those games will be multiplatform and look the same on PS3 and 360 is cheaper so that is why I said the 360 is the one to get. Not for me, just in general. For me, I want Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid, SSBB, and many many more, plus all the new IPs that Miyamoto will come up with.

to those saying that as people get older they move away from shallow Master Chief and go back toward substance-filled Mario: I think we see this trend more because people want to play something fresh or different from what they have been playing for the last few years. Master Chief doesn't really have any more or less substance than Mario, they're just different. Being a Gamecube owner, I honestly don't feel like Nintendo is doing anything extraordinarily different now compared to the prior 30 years. Nintendo has been targeting the mainstream market forever. However, this time they marketed their system better and the market happened to think the current gaming model was getting a bit stale. In other words, I don't think the Wii would've done well at all had it come out instead of the GC. The market still wanted higher production values. Now people have thoroughly experienced that, and so people are going back to simplicity and ease of use: more of an arcade style experience. If the Wii thoroughly dominates the market, I'm sure in 10 years people will want their high production values back. So, the movement toward Wii-style games is not from people getting older, it's from people feeling the old gaming model was getting stale. Just as fashion from 15 years ago gets reinvented for the present, so to does gaming.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

dallas said: Of course. Now we are arguing the effect of staying with what you grew up with versus moving on to a console that will appeal to tween's tastes. The question is, does the wii have enough adult appeal? I certainly think so for parents of younger kids, b/c they would want something without too much sex or violence shown. But older kids will want a XBOX or PS3, I would think. I just can't imagine that a 20 year old would want to play with these crappy cartoonish games. Sorry.
Wow, where do I go with that one. What does that say for me when I'm almost 31 and have two kids? I've had 4 of my friends (same age group) buy Wii's just because of Wii Sports. I think that most of us older gamers don't care as much about graphics because we remember that 8-bit and 16-bit games were still fun even if they looked 'cartoonish'. Most of us aren't as into FPS as teenagers because we've been there, done that and then done it again (and again and again...). I was playing Wolfenstein when you were in diapers. I was playing Doom when you were still crapping yourself. I'd like a little more substance to my games than just simple mindless killing. I don't need approval from other people to validate my own self-worth, especially not based on what kind of games I play. I love Zelda. I love Mario. I also love strategy games, racing games, RPGs and plenty of other types of games. I like fun games, regardless of how 'mature' they are.

Around the Network

Narfer said: DRJ said: basketball, golf (easily better for the wii, go ahead and check the reviews)boxing games especially. they are all better for the wii, and i know thats an opinion, but what im basing it on is fact. the fact is on gamespot and any other point based rating reviews, sports games for the wii have been higher, ussually sinificantly. you mention mario sports games, well, those are secondary to EA. name one exclusive sports franchise for the box that isnt complete jank? im not trying to be harsh here, im just making my point, and my point is if you want real hardcore sports games, you need the wii. and dont even argue graphics, cause EA makes em all the same for the systems, seriously, you can NOT tell the difference i dont care what TV you have. wii is the sports system now, and the xbox never was i dont think. it just has alot of jank sports games that no one gets.
I don't mean to rain on your parade. But Golf (Tiger Woods) and Madden 07 were the only two games I found on the Wii in categories you mentioned. Wii has no official basketball (NBA Live, and NBA2k) releases to compare to the other systems. Tiger Woods was rated higher on the 360 than on Wii. By 0.7 points (more than the 0.5 point difference in Madden). Boxing? What game is that? Play boxing? I'm sorry FNR3 is the standard. Anyone who has ever played any boxing game knows that. Is that out on Wii, cause I don't see it? I would have no doubt it would be fun. But it would not look nearly as good as the other 2 versions by a long shot. You can't tell the difference? If they ported FNR3 to the Wii I'm almost certain you could tell a big difference. "Usually significantly higher" where are you pulling this from? There are only a handful (2 that I could find) of sports games available on all 3 systems. In terms of physics you are gonna see a difference in how far they can take the code from one system to the next. That's not just graphics, but that takes into account things like trajectories, realistic movement, AI. The added thing on the other 2 consoles will be more available online content to enhance game replay factor, which Wii will be limited on. I think some people forget that certain things (besides motion control) add to realism of games, and realistic physics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, static and dynamic forces, etc, etc, are all becoming more real. That's real engineering there, and you have to have big computers to do massive iterative calculations.

I guess I'm in the boat that has moved away from Nintendo as I've grown older. I'm into PC strategy games a lot. Also Sim games on PC. So that's my deep thinking games. On consoles I'm interested in RPGs, Sandbox, FPS (which involves a lot more tactical strategy than some people think), and Sports. But I like realism. And to me more realistic movement (i.e. movement of the Jerseys in basketball on PS3), or realistic graphics like in FNR3 being able to see the sweat pouring off my boxer, or massive environments that take hours, days, and weeks to explore like Oblivion. You know what changed it all for me. The first time I played MGS on PS1. I couldn't play games that didn't live up to that standard. The story line deep and engaging, the controls, the problem solving within the game, the graphics... I just couldn't go back to say....Mario Party after that. To me Nintendo became synonimous with "Party Games" Smash Bros, Mario Party, Mario Kart. And it's just my opinion, but it strikes me as even more of a party console now with the Wiimote and the control, and party type atmosphere. Which is fine for some people, but I play a lot of games by myself or online. So it wouldn't really benefit. I don't see the games I'm interested in. Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Lair, Motorstorm, Halo 3, FFXIII, MGS4, DMC4, RE5, Dead Rising, FNR3, Oblivion, Killzone, etc, etc, etc.

Phalanx said: dallas said: Of course. Now we are arguing the effect of staying with what you grew up with versus moving on to a console that will appeal to tween's tastes. The question is, does the wii have enough adult appeal? I certainly think so for parents of younger kids, b/c they would want something without too much sex or violence shown. But older kids will want a XBOX or PS3, I would think. I just can't imagine that a 20 year old would want to play with these crappy cartoonish games. Sorry. Wow, where do I go with that one. What does that say for me when I'm almost 31 and have two kids? I've had 4 of my friends (same age group) buy Wii's just because of Wii Sports. I think that most of us older gamers don't care as much about graphics because we remember that 8-bit and 16-bit games were still fun even if they looked 'cartoonish'. Most of us aren't as into FPS as teenagers because we've been there, done that and then done it again (and again and again...). I was playing Wolfenstein when you were in diapers. I was playing Doom when you were still crapping yourself. I'd like a little more substance to my games than just simple mindless killing. I don't need approval from other people to validate my own self-worth, especially not based on what kind of games I play. I love Zelda. I love Mario. I also love strategy games, racing games, RPGs and plenty of other types of games. I like fun games, regardless of how 'mature' they are.
Well, there is data out there on the "sweet spot" that these companies are trying to shoot for in terms of both making games and marketing to gamers, but I can't get that unless I'm a high-level manager for nintendo or spend hundred of $$$'s for market research. So, neither argument is really one that can be defended very well, I will admit. Either way, I never said that it was an absolute thing, that nintendo ONLY APPEALS to the younger crowd, but that it seems to in my opinion. Also, it's not the kind of thing that you can objectively argue about, because what constitutes "mature" or "less mature" is really an interpretive matter. Either way, you and your friends hardly have any statistical relevance whatsoever, so I don't see the point in bringing all of you up. Seriously, I'm sure that you guys have a great time with the wii. Now, looking at this issue from a business standpoint, appealing to younger gamers isn't a piss-poor decision at all. That is where you will be able to hook em while they young, and hopefully build some customer loyalty. Thats nintendo's bread and butter, and they are doing achieving some phat profits with that idea.

Stromprophet said: I guess I'm in the boat that has moved away from Nintendo as I've grown older. I'm into PC strategy games a lot. Also Sim games on PC. So that's my deep thinking games. On consoles I'm interested in RPGs, Sandbox, FPS (which involves a lot more tactical strategy than some people think), and Sports. But I like realism. And to me more realistic movement (i.e. movement of the Jerseys in basketball on PS3), or realistic graphics like in FNR3 being able to see the sweat pouring off my boxer, or massive environments that take hours, days, and weeks to explore like Oblivion. You know what changed it all for me. The first time I played MGS on PS1. I couldn't play games that didn't live up to that standard. The story line deep and engaging, the controls, the problem solving within the game, the graphics... I just couldn't go back to say....Mario Party after that. To me Nintendo became synonimous with "Party Games" Smash Bros, Mario Party, Mario Kart. And it's just my opinion, but it strikes me as even more of a party console now with the Wiimote and the control, and party type atmosphere. Which is fine for some people, but I play a lot of games by myself or online. So it wouldn't really benefit. I don't see the games I'm interested in. Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Lair, Motorstorm, Halo 3, FFXIII, MGS4, DMC4, RE5, Dead Rising, FNR3, Oblivion, Killzone, etc, etc, etc.
I can honestly say I probably had the complete opposite reaction to the Playstation and N64 then you did. I loved playing RPG and Adventure games growing up (and at the same time really enjoyed the arcade games on the Colecovision, NES and SNES) and was all excited about the possibilities of the Saturn and N64. When I actually started to play these “Story Driven Games” I was amazingly disappointed because all they were was incoherent gibberish, delivered in FMV cut scenes, that was worse than most action movies. It became my opinion that it would be better to have no story than to continue with this crap. Now, there are great games with good stories but they are in the minority even today.

Andrew said: The truth is, thats what happened to me, I turned 14 and then I got my 360. Even my dad has always said the same thing, he said that if I was 9 he wouldn't have bought me one. Just a guess here but are you american, white, middle class?
Yup except I am canadian, but seriously you are basically refering to most of the people online here when you guess that, The U.S. has the most english speaking people and they have a massive middle class and their are white people are the majority in that country. The reason I play FPS is because it reminds me alot about paintball, which I love so much.