By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Screen Writers Strike. Does it affect you?

It might for me. I only watch two tv shows. Stargate Atlantis and Heroes.

Atlantis is already filmed the entirety of their 4th season and will not be affected at all. However, Heroes only has the 1st half filmed and pinned. The second half is still underway. It was announced that NBC has filmed a alternate mid season finale to act as the actaul season finale in the event that the strike forces them to halt the second half of the show.

That really pisses me off. I will get screwed on the full story because of all of these damn corps being too greedy and not paying people what they are worth.

So thats how it will affect me. How about you?

Around the Network
superchunk said:

It might for me. I only watch two tv shows. Stargate Atlantis and Heroes.

Atlantis is already filmed the entirety of their 4th season and will not be affected at all. However, Heroes only has the 1st half filmed and pinned. The second half is still underway. It was announced that NBC has filmed a alternate mid season finale to act as the actaul season finale in the event that the strike forces them to halt the second half of the show.

That really pisses me off. I will get screwed on the full story because of all of these damn corps being too greedy and not paying people what they are worth.

So thats how it will affect me. How about you?

ha i don't give a crap cause i don't watch movies or tv really (i only watch 3 shows, seinfeld, south park, and Fresh Prince of bel air)

but maybe it's not the corporations that are greedy not paying people what they are worth, but the people that think that they are worth so much that are greedy... 

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

Its driving me nuts no Colbert Report or Daily Show even a stripped down version cause since Stewart and Colbert are both members of the writers guild they aren't even allowed to write for themselves. I just hope it doesn't drag on for 5 months like the last one. Of course to make lemons out of lemonade the episodic tv is supposed to be completely drained of episodes by mid January I recall reading if it drags on too long maybe some of the bored audience will instead pick up some game consoles or something.

Now Playing : Links Crossbow Training(Wii), Super Mario Galaxy(Wii) FE: Path of Radiance(GC)

Avalach21 said:

but maybe it's not the corporations that are greedy not paying people what they are worth, but the people that think that they are worth so much that are greedy...

Nope. The writers are pissed because they get 0 payback on net sales. So as NBC and other networks increase thier use of shows being presented on the net, the writers get no royalties. The networks get a lot more profits. Personally, I think that whatever the baseline is for regular sales of the product, i.e. televised or dvd's etc, they should just get the same %'s. Granted, I may be being a little nieve on this, but, I don't think it is that hard.

No Colbert makes me sad...

Also The Office...it'll run out of episodes soon...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

I'm a bit worried about Battlestar Gallactica. The fourth season was supposed to start in 2008.

superchunk said:
Avalach21 said:

Nope. The writers are pissed because they get 0 payback on net sales. So as NBC and other networks increase thier use of shows being presented on the net, the writers get no royalties. The networks get a lot more profits. Personally, I think that whatever the baseline is for regular sales of the product, i.e. televised or dvd's etc, they should just get the same %'s. Granted, I may be being a little nieve on this, but, I don't think it is that hard.

oh... WELL SCREW THE NETWORKS.  I'm all behind these guys now

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

As much as I like the Daily show and Colbert, I love that I can now play videogames during that time. Normally even if I wasn't watching them, the TV would be taken up by my mom watching Leno (only slightly less funny than stubbing your toe on the fridge).

This strike will help me get through the games I didn't think I had the time for.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Yes this shit makes me angry. I don't really care who's in the wrong, all I care is that I'm going to miss out on Heroes, 24 (don't care too much about that), House, The Office, Lost, Monk, and every other TV show I like. Screw all of them.

It's even bullshit how they say that if someone does write as a scab they are forever banned from the writers guild. Way to strong arm the industry so that new people can't even take a chance to get their start. Fuckers.

Meh. I don't watch much tv.