By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Screen Writers Strike. Does it affect you?

I am most sad about Friday Night Lights. The Office is still good, but i've been worried that they jumped the shark. Heroes hasn't been as good this season, and while I like what they're doing with House, I'll be able to live without it.

Friday Night Lights, on the other hand - I've already watched the first season on DVD like 3 times. I'll likely go through it again soon. It's probably the best show on television right now - well written, well acted in, well directed, well shot, etc. But it's not watched *nearly* enough. I am worried that a writer's strike will kill it off in its entirety, if it goes on long enough.

And if the media companies allow that to happen, I will be pissed. I don't care if they feel entitled to free money - the way I see it, any ol' show can get viewers on TV. Whether or not those viewers are translated into DVD buyers/Digital download buyers are much more dependent on the writing, acting, and directing. Look at shows like Firefly, Friday Night Lights, etc; they have HUGE Viewer -> purchaser ratios. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that they are brilliant shows in all the ways mentioned above.

So why should the writers not get paid when they are purchased online?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

Yeah no Daily Show or Colbert Report makes me sad. Also I watch Heroes and Lost, but I just read an interview (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20158840,00.html) with Tim Kring about how the final chapter in the second volume might be a finale type episode, so that they can start fresh with the third volume, and get back on track. Also, Lost should be ok since they have most of it ready to go, as long as the strike doesn't go on forever (http://www.buddytv.com/articles/lost/lost-and-the-writers-strike-13363.aspx).

All in all, the strike doesn't effect me much except remove my most trusted news source.

Unions are designed for groups of people who are being treated poorly or unfairly. These guys make tons of money and they live in big houses with sports cars and sleep with supermodels. Hardly the sort of people who need a "guild"/union. If they want to have an annual "lets jerk each other off and give out awards" dinner then thats great. But when they want to hold folks hostage for their TV shows so that they can make more money or whatever it is that they want I say F'em.

I can live without TV and I hope they don't get anything out of this. In fact I hope they lose salary or something for this.

In the immortal words of Dave Chapel playing Prince....

"Bitches..."

To Each Man, Responsibility
FishyJoe said:
I'm a bit worried about Battlestar Gallactica. The fourth season was supposed to start in 2008.

you and me both dude!! i absolutely love that show..

last i heard they were considering splitting the fourth season into two halves (each around the size of the 1st season) to be shown in consecutive years. i guess its pretty much definate now.. also im pretty sure the show will end after that, which i think is good. Its better that a show ends on a high rather then keeps dragging on pointlessly *cough* LOST *cough*. oh well, RAZOR SOON!!! 

Sqrl said:
Unions are designed for groups of people who are being treated poorly or unfairly. These guys make tons of money and they live in big houses with sports cars and sleep with supermodels. Hardly the sort of people who need a "guild"/union. If they want to have an annual "lets jerk each other off and give out awards" dinner then thats great. But when they want to hold folks hostage for their TV shows so that they can make more money or whatever it is that they want I say F'em.

I can live without TV and I hope they don't get anything out of this. In fact I hope they lose salary or something for this.

"Bitches..."

you're waaaaay off on this one.  Sure a lot of these guys have it great... you know who has it better?  The Networks.  They are being treated poorly and unfairly compared to the companies that pay them.  Being screwed is being screwed. 

Why should the networks by default get a bunch of free money that in any case on a lower payscale would go to the writers? 

That's like saying if your a millionaire, and a billionaire steals 10 grand from you, it's ok because your rich enough to survive it.

Around the Network

i'm sad to have no colbert or daily show, however, i'm rooting for the writers. It's not fair that they shouldn't get any pay just because their product is being shown on the internet not network tv. oh, and sqrl, the writers aren't the ones making big money and sleeping with supermodels. you have to be in front of the camera or own the rights to get that kind of cash.

Sqrl said:

"Bitches..."

That's... um... not... true...

Screenwriters, with rare exceptions, make shit for money, especially compared to the people they work with.  Seriously.  I've talked to Joss Whedon about it.

choirsoftheeye said:
Sqrl said:

"Bitches..."

Screenwriters, with rare exceptions, make shit for money, especially compared to the people they work with. Seriously. I've talked to Joss Whedon about it.

Worthwhile screenwriters, make plenty of money, especially compared to the people who actually work hard every day.

Neither of us really have stats to back it up, so this is going nowhere quick =P

To Each Man, Responsibility

I think that this is fantastic, personally. What better way to remind people about corporate bullshit than canceling their favorite shows as a result of it?

No Heroes, Prison Break and 24 will make me a sad panda :(