By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long will Wii Sports and Wii Play be in Top 10 in Japan?

I mean really? These games have not gone below the top 10 yet. This has got to prove something about simple, fun games vs. intense graphics. No PS3/360 has lasted more than, what, two weeks in the top ten. Hell, Wii Play has only like 3 really interesting mini-games, the other 6 kinda suck after a short time. Granted it does come with a wiimote and that is by far the biggest reason to buy the game which is only $10. Anyways to answer my own question, I say that as long as Wii's are selling more than 40,000 units in a week, one of these two games will be in the top ten.

Around the Network

I'd imagine a long, long time. I'm not sure about the Top ten spots, but The Wii series really looks like it'll be Nintendo's bread and butter in Japan. It seems to the Wii's version of the DS biggies. You know, brain training, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Brothers. I have a feeling that those two games will be selling very well (top 15) for well over a year.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

They may be out/in of the top 20 a little (very dependent on *other* releases), but I would expect them to sit in the top-20 for maybe the entire life of the Wii - or at least 2-3 years. Look at Brain Training 1 - even the release of BT2 on the DS couldn't stop the sales of this beast. Currently sitting at #20, 94 weeks in the charts (2 years!) - 3.5mill sales. Of course BT2 is only at #13 (this week), 65 weeks - 4.5 mill sales. These Wii titles will only be displaced by other titles that establish themselves as better week in/out sellers. (on a side note - does MH2 have a chance of outselling Wii Sports - long term? What about Wii Play?)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I have to agree, they are going to maintain top spots for a very long time. I'd expect them to go through another Christmas season before falling out of the top 10, and if they do it won't last long at all. And yeah, they will keep on going into a second Christmas as well. I Expect Galaxy to easily join their ranks

You do not have the right to never be offended.

shams said: (on a side note - does MH2 have a chance of outselling Wii Sports - long term? What about Wii Play?)
EDIT: I just relooked, you are referring to Monster Hunters 2 on PSP? If so then it has already matched their sales. It is a similar type of killer app for the psp and will remain for a while.

Around the Network

I expect them to keep selling as long as the wii's hardware keeps selling. Only other factor would be if they released something better. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

If only Wii Play didn't suck so hard...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

each week the numbers of these two titles almost matches the number of wii's sold. Wii sports is pretty much THE reason to buy the Wii and Wii Play is another, all the new innovative stuff included in both of them... so i suspect they will stay up there for a long time coming IMO, as they will continue to sell through the life of the console as people buy the console. OR if their sequels get released, like Wii Sports 2

Wii play is the new nintendogs, selling day in day out

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

BenKenobi88 said: If only Wii Play didn't suck so hard...
Wii Play's fun. What are you talking about? It's perfect when you want a quick in & out gaming fix. It took me about 4 months to beat Zelda (work a full-time job). And though I loved playing it (boy did I love it) there were times when I wasn't in the mood nor had the time to escape into that detailed fantasy world. Your mind has to be in the right place to enjoy games like Zelda or else you won't enjoy it as much and not appreciate the story and happenings like you should (I think this is why some people didn't appreciate Zelda. You don't rush through Zelda. You let it marinate). You have to dedicate a day or a good portion of the day to play parts of Zelda to get any reasonable satisfaction. On the other hand games like Wii Play allow me to have an old-fashioned no-backstory, no build-up, no heavy focus kind of gaming experience. I might just want to crank up my Wii for 10 minutes just to see how I can do on Find Mii or Billiards. Maybe I have plans that day & I have downtime while waiting on the proper time to take care of that day's activities. Maybe I squeeze in a skosh of Wii Play before I have to take care of daily business. It's not that the games are mindless per se but they tax the brain less & allow you to have simple straightforward fun for as long or as little you want. I have DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 & while the game's fun as hell there are times I'm not into all that complexity & frenzy. I try to play Wii Sports' Fitness Test at least once a week. Usually multiple times a week. Some weeks I'm not in the mood for any games and only want to play a short session at best. The Fitness Test gives me a quick in & out whetting of the palate. The Wii-style games will sell consistently like this for a long period because they are the most accessible and the easiest to rejoin with during ownership of the system. I tend to play my Wii games the most (not counting those long 8 hour, 12 hour periods when I was in the midst of playing Zelda) To each his own, but the Wii title games will sell like this for a very long time (perhaps all year long) in Japan and elsewhere in the world. They are basically the personification of the Wii console itself. Nintendo paid attention to the Japanese market & social structure first when designing their DS & Wii systems, that's why they've become so successful lately. With consoles you pay attention to Japan first and foremost THEN you adjust this strategy to other parts of the world. Aging Japanese population and decreasing childbirth rates is a theme that rings true in America, Europe, other lands as well. Remember the so-called baby boomers? I've read this morning about the controversy in Germany with trying to persuade people to have more children. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!