By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the best game of the decade?

Hmmmm

I'm gonna have to say my top 5 cuz there is no way anybody can pick the top game of a decade (too many games and genres to do so).

so here it is:

5) Halo

What appears to be just another run-of-the-mill FPS turned out to be what revolutionized the genre. While the game mechanics, story, and many of the weapons remained the same, what made the game great was it's ability to unite gamers together through online matches on consoles and make make death matches more popular. So while gamers may question if the game is any good or not, what cannot be questioned is it's importance to gaming history in the past decade.

4) Zelda: Wind Waker

After E3 showed an adult version of Link battling Ganon on Gamecube graphics, people went nuts. When the game given to the gamers showed the little kid with cel-shaded graphics, people were ready to grab their pitchforks and torches. But when people calmed down and played the game, it turned out that the same Zelda magic was still there, just with a different mask. A wonderful Zelda game, the game proved that you didn't need graphics of realistic proportions to have a great game and provided a new technique in graphic designing to prove it.

3) Resident Evil 4

Much like Wind Waker (only through a different venue), Resident Evil 4 provided new legs to a dying franchise. Let's face it; the first couple of games were great but the formula was getting old fast. So what did they do? Changed the game from a horror design to more of an Action-Adventure genre with zombies and they haven't looked back since. And why should they?

2) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

One of the greatest Western RPG's of all time, and it was a Star Wars game? Yup and it was great indeed. Being able to choose to go either the Light side or the Dark side, and a compelling gameplay mechanic with choices and a twist or two in the plot, and you got the a great game!

1) Grand Theft Auto III

Enough said.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Around the Network

KOTOR, Jet Set Radio Future, or Warcraft 3 TFT

Can't name one. My mind changes all the time.

But top 5 are

Super Mario Galaxy

MGS4

Resident Evil 4

Uncharted 2 sorry U2, forgot Metroid Prime

and Shadow of the Colossus!

MGS Snake Eater

Here's five of my favorites over the past 10ish years... in no particular order.

• WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos/The Frozen Throne (I was a pretty big WarCraft/StarCraft fan before this, but this game just blew me away. I still play it regularly to this day... 8 years after it was released. Mauls rule! )
  • Resident Evil 4 (Probably my most replayed game this decade... at least 10 times on the Cube... and seven more times on the Wii. This game was just stellar.)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (This was the Zelda game that I played after Ocarina [No Majora's Mask. Sorry]... and it was amazing. This game also made Ganondorf my favorite video game villain ever. That's saying something.)
  • Metroid Prime (Never played a Metroid game before this... Heck, I didn't really even know what Metroid was when I booted this game up. That didn't stop this game from being a simply incredible adventure.)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (Thought I saw it and played it all with Super Mario 64. I couldn't be more wrong. Super Mario Galaxy was such a breath of fresh air for me. It was all smiles, all the time. My favorite 3D platformer ever... whew!)

All of them are simply fantastic games. ^_^

Around the Network

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Golden Sun

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Metroid Prime

My top 3

1. Wind Waker
2. Star Wars KOTOR
3. Resident Evil 4

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

A tie between several games...

Batman: Arkham Asylum (If you know me you probably want me to shut up about it)

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (Can't decide, love them to much)

Metal Gear Solid 4 (EPIC)

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (One of my favorite RPG's)

Super Smash Bros. Melee & Brawl (Played them a LOT)

I probably have several more I just can't think of them at the moment.