By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should leave the video game hardware business

they shouldn't leave...yet.

Once they screw up the industry with 3D dev costs, and 600 GB blurays which have to be filled in order for games to be alloed for PS4 and industry goes bankrupt...

Then MS, Sony, EA, Activison can leave and Pop Cap can make more Peggle for everyone.

Around the Network

Anyway, what Kenoid said. If Sony leaves, we're all fucked.

Don't expect to see any more $200 Xboxes when there's no competition. They'll be twice that much and no more reliable with no competition amongst the hardcore gamer demographic. Don't expect them to put much effort into their games either, or to bother with JRPGs. Nintendo might even start to take things lightly as well. In any case, the comptetition in the video game industry benefits us all through price wars and a race to release the best games possible and lure developers. No Sony = no competition (since Microsoft and Nintendo are aiming at largely different markets) = stagnation and complacency.

BTW OP, please tell us where you got that stuff you're smoking; I'm sure we'd all like to have a go with this hallucinogenic drug that seems to be distorting reality for you so dramatically.

Don't really understand where this came from....seems like someone's sad he won't get to see Toby Maguire in his skin-tight uniform

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

CGI-Quality said:
I don't see the purpose of these types of threads. Do some of you REALLY want less competition/games/services? I don't get how any real gamer would want any company to exit the market, or even entertain the idea.

How would their be less competition?  There would be even more heated competition with more companies being able to stay open by eliminating unnecessary development costs.  Sony hasn't brought anything to the hardware side this generation, it's all about the games and they could have all appeared on the Xbox 360 and saved everyone a lot of hassle.

VictorG said:
So many people losing their jobs, so many possible games that will never see the light of day and nobody seems to want to discuss it. The fact is that Sony is partially responsible for the mess the industry is in and should do something about it.

So Sony leaving would fix the industry?  Or somehow them leaving would mean more games?  I really don't think it's likely that Sony would stay in the software end of gaming if they left the hardware, they would just drop gaming altogether and focus on their other businesses.  Only reason Sega didn't drop gaming altogether is because that's all they did.

So basically, Sony leaving wouldn't fix the industry and there would be less games since Sony themselves wouldn't be making any.  Tell me again why we as gamers should be hoping for this?

Around the Network

lol, sony should leave? for customers, ms should leave. i prefer a reliable, wifi integrated, controller without batteries, free online gaming, bluray, high quality exclusives etc. not a semi-console which gets the rod twice a year, no wifi integrated, no free online, shitty controller, simply bad ergonomics.

It wouldn't be fair if sony leaves the hardware market, they've done the best platform this generation...

Favourite Games:

PS: Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII. PS2: Resident Evil 4, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 4, Soul Calibur III. PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted 2, Mototstorm PR, God of War III, Modern Warfare 2. Xbox: Suteki, Fatal Frame II DC, Jade Empire. 360: Dead Rising, Lost Odyssey, Dead or Alive 4.

snk and sega are no longer hardware involved. and there is still competition and there are still great games. SONY IS NOT IRREPLACEABLE

So on the opposite argument then....Microsoft studios could just as easily develop for the Cell this late in the generation...and with the EyeToy's Wand upgrade in a few months, Nintendo could develop for that without too many issues I bet...so why not only have the one console and let all the games be developed for that, and that one console'd be the Ps3

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

As much as I dislike Microsoft's unreliable console and nickel and diming business practices, I don't want them out of the console market, because it creates healthy competition.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Kudistos Megistos said:

Anyway, what Kenoid said. If Sony leaves, we're all fucked.

Don't expect to see any more $200 Xboxes when there's no competition. They'll be twice that much and no more reliable with no competition amongst the hardcore gamer demographic. Don't expect them to put much effort into their games either, or to bother with JRPGs. Nintendo might even start to take things lightly as well. In any case, the comptetition in the video game industry benefits us all through price wars and a race to release the best games possible and lure developers. No Sony = no competition (since Microsoft and Nintendo are aiming at largely different markets) = stagnation and complacency.

BTW OP, please tell us where you got that stuff you're smoking; I'm sure we'd all like to have a go with this hallucinogenic drug that seems to be distorting reality for you so dramatically.

Why the personal insults?  If you can't argue any of the points I've made then just admit there is a problem.  Sony is losing a lot of money, developers are going out of business left and right, and all you can do is talk about no competition, there's the Nintendo Wii and PC for competition.  Things were good when it was just Nintendo and Sega so why not Nintendo and Microsoft?