By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Their strategy worked on me

Their strategy worked on me

Yes 52 67.53%

No 25 32.47%

Total:77

In a very real way I think Nintendo’s strategy of not talking about games that are not pending release has worked on me, although not in the way you suggested. In the past (and to this day on the XBox 360) when I started looking at a game which was interesting I tended to hold off if there was a big game on the horizon; and quite regularly that game which was (supposedly) 3 months away would be delayed and there would be no reason to hold off on buying a game. Part of the reason I would hold off would be time or money, but the major part of it was that I find playing too many similar games too close together actually makes them much less enjoyable; and in certain genres I can handle more games closer together, while other genres (MMOs in particular) really need a several year break between games.

Around the Network

I think their way of doing things is very interesting and cost efficient, and it works on me. They start by giving out this small piece of information. The "hardcore" find this and latch on to it in some way, while the "casual" knows nothing. This keeps the former looking for more information on it, while not having to keep the marketting costs up to keep the latters' interest. As release nears, Nintendo starts talking it up, creating a buzz among the latter group, and it will come out soon enough to capitalize on this, rather than letting it die off.

Sony and MS do it in other ways. MS gets it out there early, and people talk about it. Then they have to keep throwing time and money at it to keep people talking. Whereas I see Sony's way as a problem. They throw a lot out early, and get the "hardcore" talking and hyped. But the "casual" interest dies off, and when it comes out with little more news (especially on the positive side), only the "hardcore" are still talking, and thus, buying.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...