By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA gives numbers breakdown by console and retailer F the NPD

first credit where credit is due http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16152

Xbox 360  $218 million

PlayStation 2  $73 million

Nintendo Wii  $59 million

PlayStation 3  $17 million 

I only listed home consoles but handhelds are there

game stop makes up the largest USA retailer at 13% fallowed by wallyworld at 11%

I think this may explain a lot of things with wii games at the present, hopefully this changes soon, good for the 360, I did not expect ps2 levels to be so low this year... well more to the point that far from the 360s. 

edit really hope this is not a duplicate thread, i looked this time, sorry if it is 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

so they sell more at gamestop then Walmart.. who cares.. its EA.. they suck.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Fascinating. Especially since EA hasn't had one title on Wii that's been perceived to do well, yet it's close to PS2 numbers. Also surprised PS3 is so far behind the Wii since many titles have sold better on PS3 than Wii (Madden, Godfather).

Maybe VGChartz (and NPD) aren't getting the full picture in software sells.

360 continues to own software sales. I can't see how Sony is going to keep any exclusives when MS continues to dominate sales like this.

@ssj12 - I think EA has improved a lot the past year. They added a lot of good features to Madden and NHL. They purchased BioWare and Pandemic which are both innovative studios. They announced Dead Space which will bring a new IP to the table. And they have improved almost every other major franchise they have substantially. They stunk in the past, but I think they are turning it around.

@the actual topic...

Interesting...

The PS2 is probably lower then 360 because EA doesn't release much new stuff on it anymore... They have jumped to NextGen... Surprising how low PS3 is though... That number is probably almost all Madden for PS3.

Damn, EA makes more than half of their console software sales on 360, that thing sure can push software..

Around the Network

360 domination obviously, but lots of room for improvement for the Wii given the quality of some of the games.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

You should have pasted the entire "EA's revenue by Platform" section. Your post doesn't make it clear that those numbers are just for the quarter ending September 30.

"One notable change was for the PlayStation 2, which saw $73 million in game sales this quarter, compared with a massive $269 million in the previous year."

At this rate the PS2 will pretty much be dead by early 2008.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Wow, 360 is a software selling beast

I cant believe some people are not putting games on it, its a treasure trove of cash at the moment

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

That's because inside very 360 owner's soul there lies a deep dark void, and they must fill it with a never-ending flow of games. But it won't work. You can't cure NOTHINGNESS.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

NeoRatt said:
@ssj12 - I think EA has improved a lot the past year. They added a lot of good features to Madden and NHL. They purchased BioWare and Pandemic which are both innovative studios. They announced Dead Space which will bring a new IP to the table. And they have improved almost every other major franchise they have substantially. They stunk in the past, but I think they are turning it around.

If EA improved just a little bit with every great developer they buy, then they'd be releasing solid gold discs that cause rainbows to spontaneously appear and cure cancer by now. Unfortunately they just drag everyone down to their level.

Nice to see the Nintendo and Sony fans agree on something for once btw. =P