By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GT review of SMG.

Gametrailers are probably considered the best because their video and editing quality is the best.

IGN videos are like...at most, 500 pixels wide or crap like that...HD videos on GT are BIG, and the SD videos are good too.

They've got a decent review system, and it's entertaining to watch video reviews.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

I would laugh at any website that does a "direct" averaging of scores.

That gives rise to things like "Sound" counting as much as gameplay.

twesterm said:
I really like GT Reviews though I've never understood why exactly they put story in their scores (though not all of them). It's just always seemed weird to put that in the reviews for any game with a story since in some cases, like Mario, the story isn't the driving force or any force other than just a small motivation to be there.

Anyways, great review.

Euhm because some gamers love stories like me.

They gived a 7.9 for FFXII especially because the story was horrible and I agree with them.

For those of you with dial-up, like me, the final score given was 9.8/10

For those of you with dial-up, like me, the final score given was 9.8/10.

Around the Network

Story is important, but not so much in a Mario game, and that's why even though it got a 7.5 for story, it didn't weigh in the final score very much. Some people don't understand the final score isn't an average...each score has its own weight depending on each game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

konnichiwa said:
twesterm said:
I really like GT Reviews though I've never understood why exactly they put story in their scores (though not all of them). It's just always seemed weird to put that in the reviews for any game with a story since in some cases, like Mario, the story isn't the driving force or any force other than just a small motivation to be there.

Anyways, great review.

Euhm because some gamers love stories like me.

They gived a 7.9 for FFXII especially because the story was horrible and I agree with them.

I completely agree that some games thrive on story and that should be mentioned somewhere in the review, but having a seperate catagory for story is silly. For games that just don't have story they don't bother including it (and they even don't include it for some games that do have story) and then for every other game they include it when it really has no effect on the game.

Sure, for an FF game story goes somewhere but in a Mario game it's there for nothing more than motivation.

BenKenobi88 said:
Story is important, but not so much in a Mario game, and that's why even though it got a 7.5 for story, it didn't weigh in the final score very much. Some people don't understand the final score isn't an average...each score has its own weight depending on each game.

And I do understand that the final score isn't an average and that the story score really didn't even factor into the final score, but that is the exact reason why it's silly to even include the score. If it really doesn't matter, why even bother?

You might as well include a Story category. Some people play games for an engaging story, and they want to know if a game's story sucks or not. Mario Galaxy may have a really lame story that doesn't detract from the game at all, but if readers know this, they may choose a different game.

Entroper said:
You might as well include a Story category. Some people play games for an engaging story, and they want to know if a game's story sucks or not. Mario Galaxy may have a really lame story that doesn't detract from the game at all, but if readers know this, they may choose a different game.

That's the thing though, if you need a review to tell you that Mario games have a crap story and you base your gaming decisions solely on story, would you even be considering SMG anyways though?

-edit-
And just to  reiterate, I'm not complaining about the story score or the overall score, I just think it's silly how they include story as a separate category, especially when they don't even include story on games with more story than Mario (I should be able to say what review that is tomorrow since I have a good number of the reviews saved on my work PC).

Mario Galaxy isn't the only game they've reviewed, though. What if another platformer was released that's just as awesome and has just as crappy a story? You'd have no idea what it was about, so you'd want a story score. Hell, for all we know, the next Mario platformer will be extremely story-driven, and the review would have to reflect that. It wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo pulled out something no one expected.