By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2009 is OVER - Predict LIFETIME Sales of Consoles & Handhelds

Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
wii 120mill
ps3 80 mill
x360 70mill

a 10 million gap huh?

you really think thats gonna happen slimebeast

Of course. Maybe even more than 10 million.

You see, PS3 is selling 1-2 million more than X350 year on year, and if both consoles have a 7 year life span (plus overlapping sales into next gen) the total difference will easily be 10 million. The X360 launched one year earlier, remember.

Its possible but you don't think NATAL will reduce the gap next holiday witha  price cut?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
wii 120mill
ps3 80 mill
x360 70mill

a 10 million gap huh?

you really think thats gonna happen slimebeast

Of course. Maybe even more than 10 million.

You see, PS3 is selling 1-2 million more than X350 year on year, and if both consoles have a 7 year life span (plus overlapping sales into next gen) the total difference will easily be 10 million. The X360 launched one year earlier, remember.

Its possible but you don't think NATAL will reduce the gap next holiday witha  price cut?

No, I don't believe much in Natal. It will help the sales a little of course, and it will reduce the yearly sales gap so that the X360 will lose 2010 by only a slight margin, but as I said, if every year-over-year is in PS3's favor by 1-2 million units it will all add up to at least 10 mill for the gen.

Slimebeast said:

No, I don't believe much in Natal. It will help the sales a little of course, and it will reduce the yearly sales gap so that the X360 will lose 2010 by only a slight margin, but as I said, if every year-over-year is in PS3's favor by 1-2 million units it will all add up to at least 10 mill for the gen.

Yeah not if they stop selling in the same year

if we align launches right now PS3 is around 4.5 Million ahead of 360

CGI-Quality said:
So, most of you think the PS3 will finish ahead of the 360 eh? I don't think so.

I think the idea is that because the PS3 is at a higher price point, that holds enough latent potential for sales to give itself the edge over 360 in the long run.

At this point, it is probably true, but it shouldn't happen for a good couple of years at least. I used to think that the lead the 360 had over the PS3 (and hence higher software sales), and ease of PC-360 development would cause the PS3 to lose third party support, and that would give the 360 the long term edge. I also thought the Wii would gain more third party support within two years of launch. What I didn't take account of was the dynamic that third parties enjoy, and their leverage over Sony and MS primarily. They are quite happy to have Sony and Microsoft on equal footing, competing over developers as much as customers. They made sure the underdog never lost support in order to maintain that dynamic.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

CGI-Quality said:
So, most of you think the PS3 will finish ahead of the 360 eh? I don't think so.

what are your predictions CGI

{sorry I'm gonna probably use the smiley thing forever now! lol}

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
darthdevidem01 said:
CGI-Quality said:

what are your predictions CGI

{sorry I'm gonna probably use the smiley thing forever now! lol}

Know the feeling

Well, lifetime:

Wii - 125-130 mill

Xbx 360 - 70 mill

PS3 - 66.5mill

I stand by that statement that PS3 will stay last.

Sorry m8 but that's a bit rediculous. So u mean the PS3 already has sold almost half of it's lifetime sales? In only 3 years?

PS3 has 31.5 mill sold wight now. Only 35 mill more to go in it's entire lifetime?

wii 140 million
ds 200
psp 70 million
xbox 360 75 million
ps3 100 million( i ave much doubt upon this number myself but ima stick by it anyway...sony has been known to brag abt two major facts about each of their home consoles, it surpassing 100 million units worldwide and 10 yr lifecycle...i am pretty sure sony will do whatever is necessary to make sure that becomes reality)

wii 135
DS 170
360 55
PSP 70
PS3 110

First off, history has proven that I am horrible at these types of predictions...

2010: wii - 84M, ps3 - 43M, 360 - 46M

Lifetime: wii - 130M, ps3 - 80M, 360 - 70M

Wii - 88million(2010) -> 140million(Lifetime)

360 - 48 million(2010) -> 70-72 million(lifetime)

PS3 - 45million(2010) -> 70-75 million(lifetime)

DS - 149million(2010) -> 200million (lifetime)

PSP - 67 million(2010) -> 85 million (lifetime)

and for fun

PS2 - 142million (2010) -> 150 million (lifetime)