Forums - Sales Discussion - GI.biz: TOP Selling Games of 2010 - Halo Reach #1, FFXIII #2, GT5 #10!!

10.place Gran Turismo 5 that is stupid

Around the Network

How does Mass Effect 2 get to be a dark horse and #7 top seller? Is there some suggestion it will unexpectedly jump to #3 best seller? It could swap places with Bioshock 2, if Bioshock 2 doesn't get any love on the PS3.

Funny lists.

All the lists contain inconsistencies, so they can't be consensus lists. They must just be based on pure voting of site members none of whom are Wii owners or real students of the game industry, and most of whom are 360 / PC fans. This really makes it a popularity contest and not one based on analysis of historical or projected sales data.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I am just amazed by how wrong they can be for all the reasons mention already in this thread.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

binary solo said:
How does Mass Effect 2 get to be a dark horse and #7 top seller? Is there some suggestion it will unexpectedly jump to #3 best seller? It could swap places with Bioshock 2, if Bioshock 2 doesn't get any love on the PS3.

Funny lists.

All the lists contain inconsistencies, so they can't be consensus lists. They must just be based on pure voting of site members none of whom are Wii owners or real students of the game industry, and most of whom are 360 / PC fans. This really makes it a popularity contest and not one based on analysis of historical or projected sales data.

Because different people voted it into each list. It's the seventh most named to be the top seller next year (and those people are either idiots, or they don't pay attention to game sales, which is fine for them if they're not designers or publishers I guess), and it was voted as a dark horse likely by other people who had a more reasonable view of it's sales.

It is truly stunning that not a single Nintendo game made it onto the list. You'd think this was the only site where people knew NSMB was going to be a mega-hit.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Chairman-Mao said:
Demotruk said:
Chairman-Mao said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Games expected to be the biggest sellers in 2010

• 1. Halo: Reach
  • 2. Final Fantasy XIII
  • 3. StarCraft II
  • 4. Call of Duty 7
  • 5. FIFA 11
  • 6. BioShock 2
  • 7. Mass Effect 2
  • 8. God of War III
  • 9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • 10. Gran Turismo 5

Pretty decent predictions aside from GT5 being #10. Mine would be

1. Halo Reach - Will easily sell the most. Possibly as much as 7 or 8 million depending on when its released

2. Final Fantasy 13 - It was a tough call between FF13 and GT5. FF13 could do over 6 million on PS3 alone.

3. Gran Turismo 5 - I'm expecting at least 2 million first week (worldwide) and 5.5-6 million in 2010 alone. 

4. Call of Duty Vietnam - Should do like 3-4 million on PS3 and 5+ million on 360. Popular but not as big as MW2.

5. FIFA 11 - Should do like 6 million PS360 combined

6. Bioshock 2 - A bit more then MW2.

7. Modern Warfare 2 - Should do a further 3-4 million on 360 and like 2 million more on PS3. That might be a bit high though.

8. Fallout: New Vegas - Could do 2-2.5m on 360 and maybe 1-1.5m on PS3.

9. God of War 3 - Its big, but not as big as people think. 3 million max for 2010.

10. Mass Effect 2 - The first one barely passed 2 million. I don't see this one doing more then 2 or 2.5m.

Er, you have MW2 in your list, yet you don't have NSMB. Do you think things are going to turn around all of a sudden and MW2 will become the evergreen title?

I guess I kind of ignored nintendo altogether there.

Well I'd say NSMBW would be maybe 2nd after Halo Reach. Mario Galaxy 2 be just behind GT5 and Zelda Wii would be somewhere in the top 10.

You have Halo Reach at 7 or 8 mil but CoD 7 at 8-9 mil PS360 combined which looks like CoD 7 should be #1.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
ooozxooo said:
10.place Gran Turismo 5 that is stupid

I know!

Lets look at some of the games that placed ahead of it:

Bioshock - 3 million units sold

God of War - Sells about 2-3 million per game

Mass Effect - 2 million

Gran Turismo - Main entries sell 9-15 million!

Even accounting for the PS3's reduced install base, this game is guaranteed to kill all the above games.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

no wii games = list fail

simple as that

Demotruk said:
binary solo said:

Funny lists.

Because different people voted it into each list. It's the seventh most named to be the top seller next year (and those people are either idiots, or they don't pay attention to game sales, which is fine for them if they're not designers or publishers I guess), and it was voted as a dark horse likely by other people who had a more reasonable view of it's sales.

It is truly stunning that not a single Nintendo game made it onto the list. You'd think this was the only site where people knew NSMB was going to be a mega-hit.

How many sites do you know that track game sales like VGC?

Leaving the absence of Wii aside just look at the WW sales of GT5P vs Mass Effect and Bioshock. GT5P, a Game that isn't even a full feature game sold the most, yet those folks voted GT5 into 10th position and Bioshock and ME2 into 6th and 7th. Seems like they were voting on worldwide sales, yet they were using American thinking: " let's see...all games sell more or less like they do in America, except for soccer games vs American sports games, 'cause the world outside America is soccer mad so I better put Fifa up there".

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Games expected to be the biggest sellers in 2010

* 1. Halo: Reach (Too high but should be number threeish.)
* 2. Final Fantasy XIII (Japan Heavy tho it should sell extremely well. It will be four because...)
* 3. StarCraft II (... the entire population of Korea will buy this, so this will be #2)
* 4. Call of Duty 7 (This should be number one. Modern Warfare 2 sales anyone?)
* 5. FIFA 11 (No. Mario Galaxy 2.)
* 6. BioShock 2 (I wish.)
* 7. Mass Effect 2 (I wish.)
* 8. God of War III (It should sell well.)
* 9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (New Super Mario brothers should be like number six still)
* 10. Gran Turismo 5 (Should be much higher)

It's just that simple.

# 6. BioShock 2
# 7. Mass Effect 2
# 8. God of War III
# 10. Gran Turismo 5

Their wrong-ness is amazing. In fact, it calls for this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY