By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Biggest Selling Game of All Time Revisited

When analyzing this topic before... when one speaks of bundles - you should really consider hardware vs software and also variations.

What game is the BIGGEST selling game of all time?

Well that depend on what you are looking for! We'll just speak of consoles right now, rather then preloaded PC games.. We also won't look at Downloadable Sales for this exercise.

Let's add asterisks next to them if you like!

*Wii Sports - Biggest Selling Title of All Time that came bundled with hardware 57.36 MIL
(( Top Titles that fall into this category are
Tetris / Duck Hunt / NSMB / SMW / Brain Age / SMB3 / Nintendogs / Pokemon Yellow / Pokemon Gold & Silver / Mario Kart DS / SUPER MARIO LAND!  ))

*Wii Play - Biggest Selling Title of All time that came with an unnecessary peripheral in order to play it.
25.73 MIL
(( Top Title that falls into this category is Mario Kart Wii ... ))

*Pokemon Red / Green / Yellow - Biggest Selling Game with Variant Editions
31.37 MIL or 46.01 MIL
(NOTE: Pokemon Yellow can be included in this variant , but that software also came bundled with GameBoy Color in later iterations... so pick your poison)
(( Top titles that fall into this category are Pokemon Gold & Silver / Nintendogs / Pokemon Diamond & Pearl ))

*Wii Fit - Biggest Selling Title of All Time that came bundled with a peripheral that is needed to play it.   22.89 MIL
(( No other games fall into this category from the top titles.... Some would claim that this title is the Biggest Selling independent title that is "Not Bundled" because the game is useless without the peripheral... but I digress. I would also claim now that Wii Fit Plus is out, that Sales for Wii Fit are now locked. If you were to count them as a whole, it would fall into the variant category ))

*GTA: San Andreas - Biggest Selling Title that has a variant Special Edition
18.15 MIL
(( This does not count the Greatest Hits variant, but the actual GTA: SA Special Edition with not much new content added ))

*Super Mario Land - Biggest Selling Stand Alone Title (No Bundles / No Variants) 18.14 MIL

The Above about SML was proven False... See Page 2 of this Thread, It was bundled with Game Boy Pocket

SO? Do you agree / disagree!

Why or why not!

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Around the Network

Nothing? :)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

WOW this is the definitive list

thanks for making it

I will STILL SAY

Pokemon Red/Blue has the most commendable achievment out of all of those!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Well, the argument against bundled games never sat with me too well, but if you are looking for a SINGLE game with one SKU# then I think Super Mario Land gets the nod.

If you go past that on the list, you actually run into several games that fall into one of the above categories again.

Maybe there could be markers next to the game database that give reference to the above posts one day.

- Such as :
Bundled with hardware
Bundled with Peripheral (Needed)
Bundled with Peripheral (Not Needed)
Variations of Same Game
etc.

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

I'd say wii fit deserves the top honors on that list. With the total package cost, its amazing how much it's sold. Guess the U.S. in general really needs to slim down. Pretty sure that helped a lot

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Many would agree with you that Wii Fit is in fact a Single SKU item and not a bundle due to the fact that you need the board or the game is useless.

The detractors would argue that you can use the board for other game sas a peripheral, but I do not believe there is any game beside WiiFit that needs it 100%

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

I don't see why Mario Kart being bundled with the wheel takes anything away from it. I'd say that this is the top selling title.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

i had no idea you could play wii play with out a controller.

mind blown? i think so.

hello how are you.

Nice!

For the sake of pointing out the obvious... one would assume that if you bought WiiPlay, you do in fact own a Wii and had the controller that came with it.

If you got a gray market Wii and somehow you did not own a controller, then yes, WiiPlay's bonus pack would come in quite handy.

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

nintendo_fanboy said:
I don't see why Mario Kart being bundled with the wheel takes anything away from it. I'd say that this is the top selling title.

I agree with you... Since there is no alternate SKU for Mario kart wii by itself.

But I'm just playing devil's advocate.

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million