By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - NPD's David Riley personally attacks vgchartz lolz!!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164195

When Newsweek broke word the NPD Group would be reducing the amount of data released month-to-month to the public via the media, there was a decidedly mixed response. On one hand, it's frustrating we'll be unable to track, analyze and better understand the industry's performance every month, but not too shocking given the NPD Group only started releasing the information freely a year ago.

1UP contacted NPD Group PR representative David Riley, who expressed some shock over how many were upset over the upcoming change. "I had no idea this would be so ill-received. Honestly, I know this sounds ignorant but I really was taken aback when I started hearing/reading about this. It was unexpected," he said.

Riley explained their organization decided to start releasing hardware numbers when all three next-generation consoles were coming into the market in November 2006. The NPD Group had been receiving a monstrous amount of requests for the numbers and consulted with the hardware manufacturers on temporarily changing their policy to accommodate them. "There was no push back [from Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony]," said Riley. "However, it's been a year, so we decided to pull this monthly feed and leave it up to the mftcr. as to whether or not they wanted that sales information released to media."

At the same time, the numbers leaked before and will inevitably leak again, though this time without the verification we've come to expect every month. Riley anticipates the industry policing itself in these situations and even blasts some of the 3rd party groups. "Regarding rogue sites that actively use existing data from market research firms, combine that data with estimates and then claim the data as their own -- it's true I'm no fan of sociopathic behavior and, as such, have real issues with sites like these but this has nothing to do with the change, either," he said. "The best way to approach this issue is to let the industry police it, or to simply wait and let the truth come out in the end. It always does."

Despite protest, however, it doesn't seem as though the NPD Group will be changing its position -- but here's to hoping they do.

Around the Network

Well he never refers to VG Chartz by name but long live "sociopathic behavior". Especially since that'll be the only source we have!

Swear to God, these NPD guys are killing me. It seems that they'll attempt every dirty trick in the book just to discredit this site. I mean c'mon this site isn't even competition, rather a private look on sales for those intrested. Still i wonder when they will notice that data on this site is free of charge?

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

i trust you io---besides anyone that comes ere should realize you guys always have spots about sales beforre they i

I just read the story on Gamespot. Apparently, NPD will continue to publish its monthly hardware sales figures publicly                IF              the big 3 *Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo* all request it. Gay much?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26025749

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Around the Network

@ioi   It will never stop.

How more famous this site become and how more people people use it how more you will see people attacking it.

Well ioi, people are only going to have VG chartz information from now on, so keep up the good work!

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

very professional behaviour from that very professional firm

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Alexie Di Onie said:
Well ioi, people are only going to have VG chartz information from now on, so keep up the good work!

*claps*

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

haha, just as I thought. This DRiley guy is a joke, along with his astroturfing and trolling buddies.

They are obviously very threatned by VGChartz, Good job guys.