By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Broken sword: Shadow of the Templars kicks arse!

Like you, I missed Broken Sword on the PC the first time 'round. I just finished it on the Wii recently, and yes it's a fantastic game.

As you mentioned, the Wii is especially conducive to the adventure genre, not only because it has a "mouse", but also because adventure games naturally lend themselves to more social settings. Sierra used to advise bringing a friend to help in their game manuals, but it's hard to find a friend that will sit backseat and play a PC adventure game. With the Wii, friends can sit around in a lounge room and play or just as easily watch it as an interactive movie -- not the bad kind. Not to mention, so much of the funny dialogue is better when shared with an audience.

One complaint is that the puzzles are sometimes artificially constrained by limiting the player's environment to a small area of the game world, thereby making the game a bit easy. The Spanish and Irish puzzles are examples of this. The new dialogue sounds great and the new animation looks fabulous, unfortunately it highlights just how dated the animation/audio of the older missions is. I wish (and I'm sure this would have been the case if the game had a bigger budget) that Revolution had re-recorded some of the older, poor quality audio material.

With that said, it's still a great game. I have no doubt that it was the spark that inspired many more recent guy-girl duos in adventure games (Operation Undercover and The Secret Files spring to mind). For me, it was so good, I've been left hungry for more adventure on Wii. Having already played The Secret Files 1 on PC, I've got The Secret Files 2 on order for Wii just because I think it'll be a better experience when shared.

Around the Network
gurok said:

Like you, I missed Broken Sword on the PC the first time 'round. I just finished it on the Wii recently, and yes it's a fantastic game.

As you mentioned, the Wii is especially conducive to the adventure genre, not only because it has a "mouse", but also because adventure games naturally lend themselves to more social settings. Sierra used to advise bringing a friend to help in their game manuals, but it's hard to find a friend that will sit backseat and play a PC adventure game. With the Wii, friends can sit around in a lounge room and play or just as easily watch it as an interactive movie -- not the bad kind. Not to mention, so much of the funny dialogue is better when shared with an audience.

One complaint is that the puzzles are sometimes artificially constrained by limiting the player's environment to a small area of the game world, thereby making the game a bit easy. The Spanish and Irish puzzles are examples of this. The new dialogue sounds great and the new animation looks fabulous, unfortunately it highlights just how dated the animation/audio of the older missions is. I wish (and I'm sure this would have been the case if the game had a bigger budget) that Revolution had re-recorded some of the older, poor quality audio material.

With that said, it's still a great game. I have no doubt that it was the spark that inspired many more recent guy-girl duos in adventure games (Operation Undercover and The Secret Files spring to mind). For me, it was so good, I've been left hungry for more adventure on Wii. Having already played The Secret Files 1 on PC, I've got The Secret Files 2 on order for Wii just because I think it'll be a better experience when shared.

You are so right about this. That's why I buy Telltale games on Wii, even though they're more expensive.

That's also why I can't give Broken Sword top marks. I enjoyed it a lot, but I found I was losing people. Telltale's games have done a better job of holding the attention of my copilots.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Hey thanks for telling me about Secret Files.  That is a game I haven't heard about or seen any hype whatsoever for.  However, it looks really good-- I will definitely buy it.

It is funny that Secret Files 2 is coming out 2 months before Secret files 1 on the wii.  What kind of logic is that?

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Broken Sword is indeed amazing, I had the luck of playing it on PC, still own my original (yes, original ) copy, easily the best graphic adventure ever that's not named Monkey Island (they're a league on their own). Haven't tried the Wii version, but the old PC version is definitely a classic for everyone to try

hmm I heard so many bad things about this, mgiht have to reconsider

Around the Network

What Telltale games are good for the Wii? The only one I know of is Monkey Island. Is that pretty fun? I had considered buying it.

Monkey Island is great fun (still doesn't approach the old MIs), you might need to inform yourself a bit of the story, though. But I doubt you'd find a funnier game anywhere....except in MI1 or MI3, of course

Here are the best graphical adventure games of all-time that I have played:

Kings Quest VI
7th Guest
Myst series

EA now owns the rights to the Kings Quest series (they just bought the Sierra backlog from Activision last year). I would really like to see EA do a new Kings Quest game-- they would probably have at least a million-sold title on their hand if they made it a AAA title.

I'd been wanting to play Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars back when it was released for the GBA. However, I did purchased the version for the Wii. Now I just need to finish my backlog of games so that I can sit down and enjoy the game. I just wish more developers would try to bring more point click adventure games over to the Wii and the DS. Those two platforms seem like a natural fit for these types of games. But this is wishful thinking since many publishers consider point and click adventure games a dead genre, sadly.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

you inspired me to give this game a try :)