By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Engadget says: Xbox 360 Helped Define The Decade

FKNetwork said:
Skeeuk said:
@FK

thats a jibberish list you have put out, 720p 1080p gaming lol 360 didnt even have hdmi for 1st 2 years,

The 360 has ALWAYS had 720P and 1080P output, before HDMI was standard on the 360 the HD component cables were used, it still displayed the same outputs lol.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/community/news/systemupdate.htm

Explain this then.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

X360 makes a lot of sense, since it´s about decade, and it´s all about OnLine Services, anyone can remember how lame was PS3 online services... X360 was excellent and made Sone push better features..
Many people around says Wii should be the 1st.. but I think X360 in all directions is a mark, online services, marketing strategy, PC + X360 dev integration, etc..etc.. soo congrats X360!

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
Deviation59 said:
I love my 360 but they picked it over the PS2? That just seems... stupid.

Nobody is denying that the PS2 was one of the best consoles ever, but that's not what the article is talking about.

The Xbox 360 forged new ground in online, multiplayer, marketplace, and achievements.

what happened to the Sega Dreamcast's online gameplay and multiplayer?

What of it?

Just because something was the first doesn't make it the one that defined that thing.  Even in one of my above posts I said the Xbox 360 wasn't the first console with online multiplayer, but it was the one that made it a standard in gaming and defined it.

Also, when was the Dreamcast released again?  Not this decade. 

kibebr said:
X360 makes a lot of sense, since it´s about decade, and it´s all about OnLine Services, anyone can remember how lame was PS3 online services... X360 was excellent and made Sone push better features..
Many people around says Wii should be the 1st.. but I think X360 in all directions is a mark, online services, marketing strategy, PC + X360 dev integration, etc..etc.. soo congrats X360!

Yeah, the Wii didn't actually do a lot to define gaming.

It expanded the audiance and it brought us a new way to play, but it didn't define gaming in any way at all.  People just keep getting upset they don't see their favorite console on the list and just automatically assume the list is wrong without thinking about it.

twesterm said:
kibebr said:

It expanded the audiance and it brought us a new way to play, but it didn't define gaming in any way at all.  People just keep getting upset they don't see their favorite console on the list and just automatically assume the list is wrong without thinking about it.

Twesterm tell me right now if you want to have this argument

I am ready to go

Around the Network
twesterm said:
kibebr said:

I'm not upset, I'm just looking at it from a sales perspective. But from the OP's context, I agree. However, if the Wii didn't define gaming, I don't think Ms or Sony would've brought motion controls with their consoles now. Wouldn't cracking a certain audience = having an impact on the industry?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Khuutra said:
twesterm said:
kibebr said:

Twesterm tell me right now if you want to have this argument

I am ready to go

You can try, but I'm not going to really be around until Saturday likely since I'm preparing for New Years Party tonight (we get to cook comfort food!) and I'll likely be out of it until tomorrow evening.  I might remember, the red helps, but I also ignore that just as much sometimes when I don't feel like reading.  >_>

But sure, and here are my thoughts on that:

• It expanded the audience -- great!  That doesn't define gaming.  It might define it for those people because that's what they start with and they'll always fondly remember Wii Sports or whatever, but that doesn't really mean it defined gaming.
  • It introduced a new control mechanic -- great again!  It did define motion controls but when I think define gaming I think of things that nearly every game tries to do.
  • It revitalized the mini-game genre -- Again, great!  I think the Wii did redefine this genre this decade, but gaming isn't a single genre. 

Now, that said, I know Sony and Microsoft are now going to start introducing their major motion tech (I'm not counting SIXAXIS, that should just be forgotten) and those might do something to define gaming, we'll see, but I don't believe the Wii did it for motion controls.  I think it opened the doors very wide and was a beyond excellent start, but motion controls aren't something that have become a standard like in-game achievements and online multiplayer.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Wii did wonderful things and worked towards defining gaming by defining some things of its own or paving the way for others, but did it define the decade for gaming more than the 360?

In the eyes of the parents that don't know anything about gaming, sure, the Wii is the word they probably know, but in the eyes of gamers?  No, I think the 360 did the most to define gaming this decade.

I absolutely acknowledge the Wii did something to define gaming this decade, I just don't think it did the most.

When I see a new game announced, people don't ask where are the motion controls (unless it's specifically a Wii game of course), they ask what are the achievements, how will I play online, and what about multiplayer?

I think the Wii or DS should have got the console spot, or maybe both considering the multiple Apple products on that list.

I don't think that Sony did anything particularly special enough with the PS2. The console is in everyway a PS1 with more performance and a DVD drive rather than a CD drive. There are numerous products which sold really well which didn't make the list so I don't think simply sales are justified reasoning.

Depending on how many consoles were to be on the list by the same metric I would rate the consoles as:

1. DS or Wii
2. DS or Wii
3. Xbox 360
4. PSP
5. Xbox
6. PS3
7. PS2
8. Gameboy advance???
9. Gamecube
10. Not sure.

Tease.

sega4life said:

The piece reminds that the system's success seemed all but impossible at its launch, with a weaker feature set than the PS3 and a for-pay online service.

Oh wow... you do realize how revisionist this sentence is, right?

First of all, nobody suggested what you're suggesting, because everyone knew that the PS2 did well primarily because of it launched earlier than the other two consoles of that generation. I'm surprised you haven't noticed this but Microsoft looked really hard at that generation and made the awful decision to copy every mistake Sony made hoping that it would result in success. They launched first with flimsier hardware that often broke, they made the hard drive optional, the list goes on. The Xbox 360 is the PS2 of this generation in everything but market share.

Secondly, the PS3 lost about half of the features Sony advertised it as having between the time when it was "revealed" and the time it came out. Look at comparison images between the back of the mock-up and the back of an actual unit.

And third, are you seriously suggesting that people thought Xbox Live was going to hold the console back? Because god damn, where were you during the last generation? Xbox Live was already a success. And maybe you don't remember how disastrous Sonys previous attempt at online functionality was, but plenty of people did, and basically nobody expected them to create a useful service this time around. Nintendo is STILL failing at that.

FKNetwork said:
libellule said:
Kenoid said:
The reason that the xbox 360 won over PS2 is online matchmaking.

PC > 360 online ...

Yes because a PC is really a console isn't it, and besides, 95% of my online gaming is done on my consoles not my pc, I don't game on my pc much anymore and hardly ever online as I much prefer playing online via my 360 or ps3 (my own view).

You make me laugh libellule, if something isn't favoring the ps3 you always try and put a downer on it, a simple "well done" would have been nice but then again, that's too much to expect from you I guess....

and who said this is about u only? PC had better online for years, 360 only moved that to a console, but that isn't define a decade.

u know they are people playing modern warfare 2 and left for dead 2 on pc without owning a 360, not paying for online, and with better graphics and controls than all consoles right now?