By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did MW2 360 move more consoles in US than FF13 PS3 movein Japan?

There seems to be a belief by many that an eagerly anticipated sequel in a series won't move many consoles if a previous installment in that series has already appeared on that console.  So it's interesting to read all the threads making a big deal about FF13 PS3 in Japan moving consoles when it seems like MW2 360 may have moved just as many in the U.S.  Of course we don't have the exact numbers so this may be an incorrect assumption but what we do know is that many people expected the PS3 to outsell the 360 in the U.S. in November (some by at least 100,000) and the complete opposite happened.

What's even more amazing is that this isn't the second game in the Call of Duty series to appear on 360 but the fifth.  The game also wasn't even released as an exclusive and it was competing against a PS3 grabbing headlines with a $100 price drop, a new redesign, and major advertising.  I guess we can all go back to reading about how many PS3 consoles FF13 moved in Japan but MW2 360's success in the U.S. is still an amazing accomplishment that shouldn't be ignored.  Hopefully it may throw out some long held beliefs that some people seem to have and continually claim in many threads.

Around the Network

I am confused, take a look at  this graph 

You have a sales jump of 90,000 for the US in a week in November

While you have a 170,000 jump for PS3 in Japan in a week. And we can even see it compared to similair time last year.
Your assumption makes very little sense either percentage wise or physical total wise according to that graph.

Would you like to flesh it out a bit?

EDIT: Note for referance release date for MW2 - 11/10/09

No, it didn't :)

LOL you are insane

US market is also bigger than that in Japan. So if we take a per number of person ratio the answer is an even more resounding no.

Around the Network

you should study japan console market and then you can talk again
ps3 launched at 80k in japan and sold 242k in ff13 week this is unbelievable

Insecure as usual, I see. But no, it didn't move more consoles than FFXIII.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Didn't Walmart still have the $100 360 Arcade promotion during MW2 week?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Didn't Walmart still have the $100 360 Arcade promotion during MW2 week?

I think so.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

not to mention the huge price difference between them 299---------------------- 199 and in greece you get XBOX 360 arcade + 3 games for 169 euros