By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 has really made a name for itself

Snesboy -

Exactly what did you dislike about Kameo and Viva Pinata when you played and beat these games?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

After the many years?????

what are you talking about? The game isnt that old and neither is the system.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I think the 360's library is fantastic, and its ridiculous to claim it is all shooters, because at this stage its going fantastically with its expansion into other genres. It is currently the premier system for JRPG's, and will remain the premier system for JRPG's and WRPG's into the forseeable future. It has fantastic racers in F2 and PGR4, a plethora of high-selling sport titles, fantastic exclusive sandbox games in Crackdown and Saint's Row, as well as brilliant Japanese games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

goddog said:
how is squashing gumbas not violent or burning them with fire, its just animated so its okay?

still violent, just a happier violence.

i'm not actually going to rebut to this, but i just found it funny how you referred to it as animated violence as opposed to the real videotaped violence in other games

Lost tears of Kain said:
rock bottom my ass, both games were rather decently rated, i dont give a shit what you think.
When rare actually releases a proven IP by them (not the conversion of gamecube to 360 like perfect dark zero) we will actually see.

Please don't swear at others. Thank you.

Around the Network

Its doing pretty well - but I see it mainly as a migration platform for gamers that used to solely play PC games.

GoW, BioShock, Halo, CoD, Orange Box --> all classic PC games (shooters?) that have migrated to the console world.

I can't think of a lot of classic NON-PC games that have done (really?) well on the 360. Dead Rising? Mass Effect? Assassins Creed (PC as well?).

Much of it comes down to strong online support, plus a control system that isn't *too* dissimilar to PC (given that mouse --> analog stick).

Its still a very solid console, with some very solid games. When I get around to buying another console (god knows when...) it will almost certainly be a 360.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Snesboy said:
Not really. Xbox 360 has the same exact games as PS3 and Xbox 1 and PS2 and you get the point.

They just look prettier.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE GAMES YOU MENTIONED ARE BAD.

They are all actually quite good. But they are all the same (kind of)

Realistic. Gritty. Dark. Extremely Violent.

That is what gaming is nowadays.

Super Mario Galaxy is like the exact opposite of those games and it is still just as good.

What I am trying to say is, the Xbox 360 and PS3 need more variety. They just dark, gritty, realistic games. The games aren't bad, there are just too many of them. Anyone else agree?

The Wii also needs more variety. Majority of games look unrealistic, bright, cartoonish.

HappySqurriel said:

The XBox 360 has made a name for itself ... mainly that it is a system for core gamers who like to play shooter games online; being that 6 of the 9 90%+ games are shooters and 5 of those shooters have involved online gameplay it becomes easy to see why it has that reputation.

Let's even out that lopsided view of the world... First, we'll exclude all previous to 2007 games as the PS3 and Wii only had one month in that year so its not really fair going back there...  In 2007 the table below shows the number of reviewed games in 70%, 80% and 90%+ categories with 5 or more reviews.   As you can see 360 is ahead or tied in almost every category of ESRB rating...  Obviously, not many shooters would end up in the E, E10+, and T territory so you would expect the 360 to be behind if it is only a FPS box.

X360          PS3          Wii
E Games above 90%001
E Games above 80%1573
E Games above 70%2099
E10+ Games above 90%000
E10+ Games above 80%221
E10+ Games above 70%613
T Games above 90%200
T Games above 80%882
T Games above 70%1465
M Games above 90%421
M Games above 80%330
M Games above 70%444

The 360 is proving time and time again that they have the winning formula. Despite losing Japan - and the RRoD, most gamers don't care and find the 360 being the bomb. Developers love it for its insane attach rates - publishers love it for getting paid ... and Sony hates it for stealing once loyal customers fed up with their delays, game library and very, very unnecessary features.

I love how folks talk about how the 360 doesn't have a card reader, built-in wifi, Blu Ray player ... but guess what it does have? A library of games for everyone. The PS3? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong - while I am really impressed by Ratchet and Clank, I just don't see a squirrel/chipmunk whatever that fool is ... being the savior of the PS3. I mean, folks were ACTUALLY comparing him to Master Chief's system moving, game moving ability. HA HA ...

The PS3 can turn things around, but the only way they'll do it is with a truckload of PS3s and a few crackheads distributing them.

This battle is between the 360 and Wii for first ... Sony, get to work on the PS4 ...

madskillz said:
The 360 is proving time and time again that they have the winning formula. Despite losing Japan - and the RRoD, most gamers don't care and find the 360 being the bomb. Developers love it for its insane attach rates - publishers love it for getting paid ... and Sony hates it for stealing once loyal customers fed up with their delays, game library and very, very unnecessary features.

I love how folks talk about how the 360 doesn't have a card reader, built-in wifi, Blu Ray player ... but guess what it does have? A library of games for everyone. The PS3? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong - while I am really impressed by Ratchet and Clank, I just don't see a squirrel/chipmunk whatever that fool is ... being the savior of the PS3. I mean, folks were ACTUALLY comparing him to Master Chief's system moving, game moving ability. HA HA ...

The PS3 can turn things around, but the only way they'll do it is with a truckload of PS3s and a few crackheads distributing them.

This battle is between the 360 and Wii for first ... Sony, get to work on the PS4 ...

I wouldn't say that it has the "winning formula" and that everyone thinks it's "the bomb."  And I don't think there will be much of a "battle between 360 and Wii for first."  I think Nintendo has the winning formula, seeing it's ahead of the 360 after giving it a year headstart, and Halo3 already out.  I think the Wii has a pretty comfortable spot in first.  Nintendo came up with a creative, original, ballsy formula, and it paid off, so I feel they deserve more credit in that regard.   I'd say, according to the media, and it's recent place in pop culture, more people are saying the Wii is "the bomb."

... Not to say at all that the 360 is not a great console, and not to say that it is a failure or anything.  But if we are going to give credit for the things you mentioned, (winning formula and a general perception of being "the bomb,") I just feel that Nintendo deserves credit much more than microsoft.  The 360 has an excellent library of great games, and it surely is a huge improvement over the first Xbox. 

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout