By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PSP Go was a MAJOR flop. We need to talk about it.

One thing has REALLY shocked me so far about the PSP Go. Since I work at a daycare, most of the teachers have their own children. Well, yesterday afternoon I was working in the second infant center (yes, I work with infants, okay? I don't mind them at all) and the one teacher was saying that she bought her son a PSP Go for Christmas. She said she had to use her credit card (or debit, she wasn't specific) to purchase a "$40" game on it. And once she purchased the game, it took nearly all day (in her own words) just to download it on Christmas day. And then yesterday morning, before work, her son told her that he beat the game he already downloaded on it and wants another one, plus he doesn't want it anymore on his system (her son is also very demanding, but I'm not going into details on her personal life).

This is the thing; if an owner of the system spends a chunk of money $25-40 on a game on the PSP, and then you're finished and you may not want the game anymore, you will have to delete it. That's like pissing out your wallet and then blowing a chunk (of crap, meaning the game), and then it's gone for good so there's no way you could exchange the game. That's one thing I just realized about the PSP Go. HORRIBLE strategy right there. At least with the iPhone or iPod Touch, the Apps don't cost as much and don't take up as much space.

The thing is from the story and example I posted above is that Sony has created a horrible strategy for the consumer wanting games, but good for them making a profit.

Around the Network

The problem isn't really the price, the problem is that the PSPGo said something like "throw your UMDs away and go buy your games again at full price :)". I am happy with my PSP 3000 and my UMDs (btw, I will have to update my games here).

What's the big attraction in the new PSPGo? Smaller screen, no UMD support and you can buy online at high prices even if it should be cheaper than buying games from normal stores? I don't think it's cool...

A new color for the PSP 3000 will sell much more than the PSPGo. The Japanese are consumerist, they will buy a new revision/color for the PSP or DS because that's what they do best but PSPGo is simply a step backward in my opinion.

Let's take a look at some japanese numbers:

12/14 - 12/20

[PS3] 237,086
[Wii] 191,915
[DSi] 95,227
[PSP] 79,194
[DSi LL] 75,241
[DS Lite] 12,879
[Xbox 360] 8,965
[PSPgo] 3,260
[PS2] 2,982

What should I say? I am not hating on the PSPGo, I actually think the normal PSP is an excellent system and I love it but Sony made a bad move with the PSPGo.

Procrastinato said:
RolStoppable said:

The source is Media Create, so Japanese sales. It's currently being outsold by the 360 over there and that's pretty telling how successful the PSP Go is.

So... its sold 65K... in Japan ...thusfar, and that's the basis for the "flop" argument.  I missed that interesting qualification, in AlkamistStar's statement, I'm afraid.

Also... 360 sales in Japan aren't exactly an indicator of anything, anywhere else.  I don't think your assumption that PSP Go sales in Japan are going to be an indicator elsewhere is a reasonably founded assumption either -- your use of 360 performance in Japan, in your argument, is a great, and ironic, example.

Now you're just messing with us. I know this, because I know you can't possibly be this obtuse. It was funny while it lasted though. Well done!

RolStoppable said:

Now I'll have to look up the word "obtuse". I hope it's at least a litte bit insulting.

Not "insulting." "Descriptive."

Naraku_Diabolos said:

One thing has REALLY shocked me so far about the PSP Go. Since I work at a daycare, most of the teachers have their own children. Well, yesterday afternoon I was working in the second infant center (yes, I work with infants, okay? I don't mind them at all) and the one teacher was saying that she bought her son a PSP Go for Christmas. She said she had to use her credit card (or debit, she wasn't specific) to purchase a "$40" game on it. And once she purchased the game, it took nearly all day (in her own words) just to download it on Christmas day. And then yesterday morning, before work, her son told her that he beat the game he already downloaded on it and wants another one, plus he doesn't want it anymore on his system (her son is also very demanding, but I'm not going into details on her personal life).

This is the thing; if an owner of the system spends a chunk of money $25-40 on a game on the PSP, and then you're finished and you may not want the game anymore, you will have to delete it. That's like pissing out your wallet and then blowing a chunk (of crap, meaning the game), and then it's gone for good so there's no way you could exchange the game. That's one thing I just realized about the PSP Go. HORRIBLE strategy right there. At least with the iPhone or iPod Touch, the Apps don't cost as much and don't take up as much space.

The thing is from the story and example I posted above is that Sony has created a horrible strategy for the consumer wanting games, but good for them making a profit.

this is exactly why it fails the most in Japan.  Game rentals are illegal so buying a game and selling it as soon as you finish is the regular practice, and due to the high resale prices if you finish it fast it's comparable to rental prices.  For me in the US i would never buy a game that is expensive and has little replay value or is at least not really long.  I never sell games back because i never buy games i would want to sell back.  I prefer the PSP go because it is more portable, not only is it smaller and lighter, but not having to bring all your games with you makes it more portable as well.  Basically it's a niche device that works for me but not for most people.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Everything is expensive compared to the Ps3.
The DSi for me is way more expensive that the pspgo considering what you get

solidpumar said:

What do you get?

-edit-

The DS is my favorite gaming system this generation (I played every single console/portable this generation), this is giving me the most unique and fun experiences, I really think it's very cheap for what you get. I can't even finish the old games and there are almost 40 good releases this year. I don't see your point, I hope you can explain it to me.

Naraku_Diabolos said:

Wow, that is a crazy story. She would have been much better off getting a 3000 and then buying some cheap used UMD's for it.That way the kid could enjoy many games and if he got tired of them(which it looks like would happen) then she could get rid of them and get other cheap used UMD's.

solidpumar said:

In Japan the PS3 (120gb) costs 29,800 yen, the PSP Go costs 26,800 yen. A difference of 3,000 yen (roughly $32 or so), the Go is extremely overpriced.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Go is clearly an attempt to expand to more on the go casual gamers with high profitability.

Don't Know how its a failure. But that's just me it'll pick up with as coverage goes up.

Its only a flop if its doest fulfil Sony plans but it did and maybe made like what 6 million profit in the process. HW alone

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

solidpumar said:

Not very many people agree with that obviously.  Compare DSi sales to PSPgo, or DS to PS3 and it's not even close. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X