By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How strong is your nostalgia?

Some people define best and favourite as the same... i.e. it's their favourite because it's the best in the series for them.

It does seem like a lot of people like older games more now then they did when they first played them. It could just be part of human nature. The thing about memory is that when you remember something the experience changes in your mind, in some cases making fond memories fonder.

Who knows... I don't think I'm old enough to be that nostalgic... Modern games may have spoiled me though.

Around the Network

@silicon

That can be true, if you don't actually get to relive those experiences again, but, at least for me, I've been able to play over and over again all the games that I consider to be the best for me, even those from the NES generation.

The experience still feels the same to me now as it did back then, because the games themselves hold something special in their core, and that doesn't go away with time.

I agree that newer games can be better to older games, but in the end, it all depends on the eye and mind of each individual gamer.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

How am I supposed to know how strong my nostalgia is? That is like asking someone to tell you how strong their bias is. Most people think they are being pretty fair even if they are not.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Nostalgia blinds everyone. Once you realize it and admit it, though, its all good.

I too feel the same about Ocarina of Time, but objectively its not the best Zelda game even. But it was the right game at the right time for me.

I started gaming probably around '98/'99 (I would have been about 8) so my nostalgia is very weak. The only game series I'm somewhat nostalgic for is Crash Bandicoot, most old series like Mario I have no nostalgia for and don't see why people like them so much.

Around the Network

Rayman 2: The Great Escape was the best Mario game!

Like most others here have mentioned, No it does not, its great to know you have had the chance to play older games but they really shouldn't effect the gaming Exp you have in the present, that goes for older and younger gamers alike.

Its kinda hard..Some games, like Final Fantasy VII doesn't age well.
Well neither does Metal Gear Solid 1..But Metal Gear Solid has such great story thats you can play it for after 10 years of its release.
Marios are same, they age well.
Grandia, my best game ever, has still best gameplay and great story, but graphics and loading times take some fun out..

But nostalagia itself is strong...Remembering good old times in some certain game.

Take my love, take my land..

I dont think i am. For example the are games i love from the 90's way more then the games i play now. Does that make me nostalgic? No. and why is that

Because i can play games from the 90's and 80's that i have never touched before and love them too death.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Oh i also forgot to say that i can be nostalgic though.

For example i can grab WCW MAYHEM start playing it and have a blast. Now i can put in the new smackdown games then i turn them off after half hour or so. But the smackdown games are better then mayhem in every way but i still prefer that game.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st