By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony may have a profitability problem from falling PS3 software sales.

Ohhh...nothing...I'm so surprised...lol. Show me some numbers and then we can continue to talk...not stupid internet links to speculation and rumors.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

I gave you every link you needed. PS business is profitable, which nullifies this ridiculous doom thread.

Still, you can grab the full numbers on financial sites if you want. I've lost enough time like that on this joke thread.

The fact that this thread comes the week Sony sold 1 million PS3 (a lot more than the number of 360 sold you know) makes it even more comical than a standard Sony doom thread.

heruamon said:
Ohhh...nothing...I'm so surprised...lol. Show me some numbers and then we can continue to talk...not stupid internet links to speculation and rumors.

I'll post some numbers you might understand

1. you dont know what pioneer means

2. you dont know what rumor means

3. you have poor logic.

...seriously... it aint rumor if its confirmed. You are the one who doesn't know what they are talking about why would we argue with you if you are just going to go "lalala cant hear you" when a link of a sony ceo (someone who knows sony a shit load better than you or squil ever will) confirms your wrong.

mario64 said:

I gave you every link you needed. PS business is profitable, which nullifies this ridiculous doom thread.

Still, you can grab the full numbers on financial sites if you want. I've lost enough time like that on this joke thread.

The fact that this thread comes the week Sony sold 1 million PS3 (a lot more than the number of 360 sold you know) makes it even more comical than your usual Sony doom thread. Keep up the good work, good laughs are needed.

I just love the nonsense posting...puts a smile on my face...still waiting for some $$$ numbers.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

letsdance said:
heruamon said:

I'll post some numbers you might understand

1. you dont know what pioneer means

2. you dont know what rumor means

3. you have poor logic.

...seriously... it aint rumor if its confirmed. You are the one who doesn't know what they are talking about why would we argue with you if you are just going to go "lalala cant hear you" when a link of a sony ceo (someone who knows sony a shit load better than you or squil ever will) confirms your wrong.

Sure...whatever you say....

Around the Network
mario64 said:
@Grahamhsu : You want facts ? I gave some. You won't find a single analyst today who thinks MS is 'successful' in the recent years. Or do you think administrators want to fire Ballmer for fun ?

http://blogs.computerworld.com/five_reasons_to_fire_ballmer
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2316993,00.asp
http://www.cooltechzone.com/2009/12/21/microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-expected-to-be-fired-in-2010/

Here is another fact : PS business is profitable since last fiscal year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/25/hirai-ps3-slim-sold-at-a-loss-but-business-profitable-overall/

So how can Sony be doomed ? I wonder.

Who is the monkey now? :)

/jokethreadclosed ?

Kaz Hirai specifically said that the PS division was positive in gross profit, which is a very specific term that excludes many costs such as R&D, taxes, payroll, interest and other overhead costs.

For example, a company like GM could be making a gross profit on vehicles, but could be getting eaten alive  in labor, taxes and interest costs. Gross profit is a very poor measure because so many significant costs are excluded.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

heruamon said:
mario64 said:

The fact that this thread comes the week Sony sold 1 million PS3 (a lot more than the number of 360 sold you know) makes it even more comical than your usual Sony doom thread. Keep up the good work, good laughs are needed.

I just love the nonsense posting...puts a smile on my face...still waiting for some $$$ numbers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57802

These numbers?

Grahamhsu said:
mario64 said:

@heruamon : yet MS lost billions in Xbox 1 fiasco and RROD... MS is not that successful since everybody now is talking about firing Steve Ballmer.

It's killed by Apple with its Zune, it's killed by Google on the net, and now even 360 sales are behind its more expensive competitor, and Vista failed too...

In recent years, MS is hardly a successful company.

So a company that posted profits during the recession last year is not sucessful (MS)...therefore a company that posted losses must be downright terrible...MS stock has rose so consumers beside you do seem to believe in them...perhaps you should stop cherrypicking their flaws to damage control this thread whether it be true or not, Squilliam posted his views and supported them with facts and even if was fanboy biased that does not give any of you the right to start hounding on another company and in no way contributes to the thread. You don't like what Squilliam says, than prove him wrong, any idiot can spout failures of another company, you've only proven you may have the intelligence of a monkey. We are human so it is in our nature to fail anyone who opposes is an elitist.

No it hasn't? Actually it's quite the opposite? When did it go up and during what timeframe are you refering too?

Squil makes a dry, emotionless, fact backed analytical thread and gets eaten alive by a vocal minority of colorful, emotional, passionate 'fans' of either Sony or Playstation.

Seriously, a lot of you need to chillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Hope I'm not coming off as a Squil apologist (I often enjoy his satire, though), but he presented his facts and gave his analysis. He's not wrong for that. We'll have to see how it plays out, but it's interesting.

The truth is that this is a sales based site and a lot of the threads here are about sales. But sales and financial data are as intertwined as an RPG and stats. Any reasonable 'fan' should be actively interested in the financial health of their respective console of choice.

If those numbers are not good, the REALITY of the situation is that the company may decide to give up on the console business. "That's ridiculous, Darth Tigris. You're an idiot for even typing that!" Yeah ... but I was a big, BIG Sega fan that got a huge dose of reality on January 31, 2001. I grew up as a gamer that day ( . . . or rather later that year; I needed time to mourn), and some of you obviously have never been through that.

These publicly traded companies must make a profit from their console divisions or they will not be able to continue in it. And that profit can't be slight or short-lived; it must be sustainable. The current Playstation model is NOT sustainable. Considering the overall health of Sony as a company makes the situation even less tenable.

So, long story short, SONY PLAYSTATION FAN(BOY)S SHOULD BE MORE GRATEFUL FOR THESE TYPES OF THREADS INSTEAD OF CRITICAL. Demand changes in the PS business model. Make the leadership more accountable for ill advised decisions. And do all of this while celebrating the games that you love. It shows growth, maturity and the realization of the brand loyalty that you claim to possess so completely.

"Squil makes a dry, emotionless, fact backed analytical thread and gets eaten alive by a vocal minority of colorful, emotional, passionate 'fans' of either Sony or Playstation."

wrong on all accounts.