By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamespot Platform awards are weird when comparing to sales.

Best Wii game - 

Dead Space Extraction

Best Ps3 game -

Demon's Souls

Best Xbox 360 game -

Assassin's Creed 2

Best Ds and PSP game -

Gta Chinatown Wars.

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/platform-awards/index.html?page=7

Now if these were best games on each platform,how come every one expect Assassin's Creed 2 got pretty low sales?

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

.... SALES =/= Quality! >_

D-

DEAD SPACE EXTRACTION?

I guess I need to play it to give it a fair shake

But my knee jerk reaction is "What, why would they pick that, it makes no sense"

Two things.

One highest sales does not necessarily mean the game was the best. Plenty of the best games around have been mid-low sales.

Two, most reviews are crap. Best games lists? Worth even less than crap. It's just an arbitrary list of things the reviewers liked the most which most likely alot of other gamers (maybe the majority) are going to disagree with.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Just because some games sell better doesn't in any way make them better.

Gaming awards are based on quality, not on sales.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Dead Space Extraction as best Wii game? That's an insult.

Almost as bad When Boom Blox won that last year at the VGAs.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Odd thread really. Why anyone would think sales and awards should match is beyond me. The only other time I recall this sort of thing coming up was the year that The Passion of the Christ came out and a few Christian fans reckoned Academy Awards should be more in line with box office success. Strangely I think the Passion of the Christ was the highest box office grossing movie that year. I wonder if there was a connection? The subject has never been raised since.

Anyway a greater oddity is that awards from a particular site don't always go the the best reviewed game on that site. However a review is only one person's opinion whereas the GOTYs are based on all the reviewers / editors on that site.

Go Demon's Souls!!!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Glad to see demon's souls won an award, hopefully someone would finally release it here in EU now that it has even been awarded. :)

Quality > Sales.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Wii Sports = Best game ever created ever CONFIRMED!