By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Want To Make...A JRPG?

Source: KOTAKU

While some Western companies are down on the future prospects of the Japanese role-playing game, others - like Ubisoft - can't wait to get a piece of the action.

Speaking with Famitsu, Ubisoft's Alain Corre has revealed that as part of the company's push into the Japanese market, they'd one day like to release a JRPG.

"We have never made any RPGs, a genre Japanese people love," he told the magazine. "We've made shooters, strategy, sports, action, and adventure games, but not any RPGs yet. Still, we're open to all possibilities. If we can get a quality team of RPG-oriented developers, I'd love to release one. If we have a chance to work with Japanese creators, then I'm sure we can make a game that appeals to the Japanese audience."

Sounds ridiculous, but then...imagine some of Ubisoft's franchises turned into RPGs. And I'm not talking Splinter Cell. I'm thinking more...Beyond Good & Evil.

Ubisoft Hints at Japan Marketplace Push [Famitsu, via 1UP]

Around the Network

I think they may be able to do it.
Would be cool if Beyond Good and Evil 2 was a JRPG, would be crazy though.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

WRPG =/= JRPG

but i think they should better release a WRPG.. they know how to do it seeing how AC2 went. so they should!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I can only imagine what an atrocity a JRPG by that company would be.

Ubi released so few good games this gen. The only ONE I like is AC II.

Japan won't buy a JRPG made by the west. Ubisoft is crazy for even thinking they could make one that sells as much as Dragon Quest.

Around the Network
Lurker said:
Japan won't buy a JRPG made by the west. Ubisoft is crazy for even thinking they could make one that sells as much as Dragon Quest.

how would you know? did a JRPG ever been made by western devs? (if you know any tell me i would like to check it out!)

i know alot of WRPGs made by japan though.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I welcome their try, if they put effort into it I'll buy it

PSN: HobsonA

XBL: HobsonA

it would be funny if they ended up making a better JRPG than the Japanese developers do lol

Xen said:
I can only imagine what an atrocity a JRPG by that company would be.

Ubi released so few good games this gen. The only ONE I like is AC II.

You mean they released so many good games this gen.

If the Rayman 2 team could make it with a good plot... shit could be amazing.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.