By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamecube controller almost unusable for VC games.

I had to go out and buy a Classic VC controller thanks to companies not properly implementing the buttons,

Take Donkey Kong for example, I was so excited to play this game once again, but run-jumps are near impossible; (Y) is to dash and (B) is to jump, it is impossible to slide your thumb across unless you have some kind of freak hands, seriously go and try it now, grab your Gamecube Controller hold down (Y) and act as though you are running and then see how fun it is to move that finger to (B).

Yup exciting isn't it, I found several other games that are horrid with the Gamecube controller that isn't fault of the controller itself, but whoever is in charge of porting it to the VC.

You can't edit the control to your liking either, so you're stuck with the exciting new controller scheme.

Around the Network

Well for Donkey Kong, it's an NES game so you can just use the Wii Remote.

I've got a classic controller, but I always use the Wiimote for my 4 NES games.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

I'm sure he meant Donkey Kong Country.

I don't think they're modifying any of the games, so the lack of control options isn't that surprising. I didn't even bother trying to use my gc controller when I bought Super Metroid. I know what I like for that game and it's the original SNES controller. The classic controller is a great alternative. How about you applaud Nintendo for having the foresight to revamp one of the greatest controllers ever made and give it a new feel. At $20 I didn't feel the least bit annoyed with Nintendo. /no sarcasm.

Yes, I don't have any Classic controllers yet, just GCs, because Classic controllers can't play GC games, which is incredibly stupid.

Nintendo should make a new Classic controller that has analog triggers, then it would pretty much be compatible with GC games, even if it may not be as comfortable as GC controllers.

I guess maybe Classics wouldn't work because there needs to be GC controllers plugged into the GC ports? I don't know.

There are 3rd party "GC" controllers that are pretty much Classic controllers though, such as this: http://gear.ign.com/articles/819/819888p1.html
May not be very pretty, and perhaps the controls won't be as tight, but it is laid out better for some.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Yes, I don't have any Classic controllers yet, just GCs, because Classic controllers can't play GC games, which is incredibly stupid.

Nintendo should make a new Classic controller that has analog triggers, then it would pretty much be compatible with GC games, even if it may not be as comfortable as GC controllers.

I guess maybe Classics wouldn't work because there needs to be GC controllers plugged into the GC ports? I don't know.

There are 3rd party "GC" controllers that are pretty much Classic controllers though, such as this: http://gear.ign.com/articles/819/819888p1.html
May not be very pretty, and perhaps the controls won't be as tight, but it is laid out better for some.

Unfortunately I have not found any place selling that controller yet.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

Around the Network

ben: the classic controller HAS analog triggers. The only reason why the Wii doesn't play GC games with the classis controller is because it shuts down everything but the gamecube stuff when playing gamecube games. I suppose this is done to make things easier.

OT: yeah, I bought the classic controller when I purchased Mario world, which was equally unplayable with the gamecube controller. Now I bought Contra 2 and I think I might have to buy a second classic controller for playing two player

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Oh...I didn't know they were analog triggers...

I've used them a few times, but only one of my friends has them...the rest of us have GC controllers or just Wiimotes+nunchucks.

I know when Brawl comes out, I'll probably just play with a Wiimote+nunchuck, because it's nice to have the hands separated for comfort.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Oh...I didn't know they were analog triggers...

I've used them a few times, but only one of my friends has them...the rest of us have GC controllers or just Wiimotes+nunchucks.

I know when Brawl comes out, I'll probably just play with a Wiimote+nunchuck, because it's nice to have the hands separated for comfort.

Isn't that funny.  All this time we have been gaming in such a cramped position and we never knew.  If motion control doesn't remain next generation at least bring back the split controller.

Yes, I meant Donkey Kong Country, I am well aware that NES games can be played with the Wii-remote.

I really love the classic controller for VC games. It feels so comfortable. When I downloaded super metroid I played for a while with the gamecube controller and then switched to the classic controller part way through. It made a HUGE difference in the control of the game. Like night and day really.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342