By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Cables, Cables, Cables!

Unless you have tons of HDMI connections, go with regular component cables. You can use regular RCA cables and they'll do the same job.

I would also highly recommend going with a system selector like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIS7J8/sr/ref=pd_cp_vg_0/102-3925350-9495326?ie=UTF8&qid=1099665268&sr=8-1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=1Q1EDKJ7JH7696NBYS1V&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250313801&pf_rd_i=B0001GAYUE

I have the older model and it works well. There are ones with HDMI inputs, but they cost. I have my HD DVR hooked up via HDMI to DVI and it looks just the same as the cables. Seriously ...

Around the Network
loadedstatement said:

Ok so here is the deal. This is my setup. I need to know what cables I need to maximize my viewing experience. What will make me see the clearest/best picture?

My setup:

52" HD 1080p Plasma LCD TV

Connected to the TV is:

-Xbox 360

-PS3

-Wii

-Toshiba A30 HD-DVD player

My question is, what cables do I need? TV to cable outlet? xbox to tv? wii to tv? ps3 to tv? any other cables?

So how many HDMI connections does your TV have?  If it only has 2, then I would use HDMI for the PS3 and the HD-DVD player, since these are the ones you will be watching movies from.   Get the Wii component cables and use the 360 component cables also.

loadedstatement said:
Also, is every HDMI cable and component cable the same?

I'm not sure where you live but some stores like best buy or future shop allow you to return audio or video cables if you do not like them, i would buy one of the cheap HDMI cables from monoprice or ebay and one expensive $150 HDMI from best buy and see if there is a difference.  

Any tips for making all these cables look neat?

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Vengi said:

Zip ties or you can buy those overpriced cable organizers or buy a media cabinet with "Cable solution"(I.E. fancy name for holes in the furniture allowing wires to be run through it rather then behind it.)

I personally use color coded zip ties. Red is PS3 Green is 360 Blue is Wii Yellow is Tv, cable & sound system. All the cables are held in the zip tie. It takes 3+ cables and puts them into one, admitidly it can still get cluttered but nothing like it would be.  

Around the Network
Vengi said:

Get some tie wraps.  Or just shove them out of sight.  :)

Griffin said:
loadedstatement said:
Also, is every HDMI cable and component cable the same?

I'm not sure where you live but some stores like best buy or future shop allow you to return audio or video cables if you do not like them, i would buy one of the cheap HDMI cables from monoprice or ebay and one expensive $150 HDMI from best buy and see if there is a difference.  

People who drop $150 on cables are suckers, especially if its HDMI.

Sure, you can try and see a difference, but you wont with a digital signal. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

whatever said:
I just ordered 2 of these. Haven't gotten them yet.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78/ref=s9_asin_title_1/102-4008024-2553719?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1X1VA6BHP0526YFYASK5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

Tell me if these are good when you get them.  A dollar...wow.  How can they do that? lol

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Err...double post.  Sorry.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

loadedstatement said:
whatever said:
I just ordered 2 of these. Haven't gotten them yet.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78/ref=s9_asin_title_1/102-4008024-2553719?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1X1VA6BHP0526YFYASK5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

Tell me if these are good when you get them. A dollar...wow. How can they do that? lol

Sure, I'll update when I receive them.  Should be later this week.