By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto - wait until you see the Wii 5 years from now

Nintendo’s resident genius Shigeru Miyamoto thinks that things are just getting started with the Wii.

Get johnlucas here.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

Dunno whats going to happen I have a feeling PS3 might make a 3 million+ jump this holiday...

Maybe they going to have a possible upgrade for the Wii in five years?

The Wii is on a 10 year plan.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I can't see the Wii lasting that long, people will be looking for a new "next big thing" as I have feeling that motion sensing peripherials will have come to the PS360 in a big way if the Wii is still having success in four or five years (Game fusion has already been announced or something along those lines)

add me

Around the Network

The Wii will become the first permanent console.

It will last forever. Cheap hardware updates will bring the console to the future, and the flow of games will be never ending. Games will be immensely easy to create due to the fact that they've been programming the same thing for eternity. The Wii will eventually make its way into every household of America as a daily helper.

Believe it.

It is hard to say since the industry is moving around. However I believe that the next gan consoles would be able to last least 8 years. However is Nintendo is able to pull off some software upgrade allowing diff dvd discs to be read maybe.

It would be a better strag. compared to releasing a new console. Just think you already have a large install base, by then all developers know how to use the system. Your platform becomes the standard. And you already have a product that is much less expensive than the competition.

"Like you know"

I agree completely. People are way too short-sighted when it comes to the potential of the Wii. Like the DS - its not just about games.

Just the channel interface, plus the Wiimote "pointer" functionality (forget waggle!) is enough to revolutionize things.

Think interactive TV - Ninty have built "mouse control" into a TV remote.

The other thing Ninty have managed to do (very sneaky) - is better separate the Wiimote & Wii.

They could release a completely upgraded Wiimote - is this a console upgrade?

What about keeping the existing Wiimotes - and releasing a new Wii unit? Is that an upgrade?

It would also be TRIVIAL for Ninty to release an "updated" version of the Wii, that has more internal memory (say 4Gig, instead of 512MB).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think he might be going with the "everything old is new again" line. All of these disk based games that we have at retail will eventually stop being made and then offered as a download game. Being able to buy every game ever released on the Wii through a download service would be pretty awesome and would help garner even more support from 3rd parties. The little white box has a lot of potential. Hopefully Miyamoto pushes the limits as far as he wants. I see no reason that the Wii couldn't last more then another 5 years. The DS will most likely easily last longer then the GBA.

I'm surprised that cable and IPTV companies haven't approached Nintendo with ideas on what they'd like as a cheap set top box with the Wii. I think the Wii would make an awesomely cheap and easy to use TV box/gaming console. I know Nintendo has shot this idea down a few times but with all of those potential customers out there it would be pretty hard to turn down that revenue stream if it became available.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

shams said:
I agree completely. People are way too short-sighted when it comes to the potential of the Wii. Like the DS - its not just about games.

Just the channel interface, plus the Wiimote "pointer" functionality (forget waggle!) is enough to revolutionize things.

Think interactive TV - Ninty have built "mouse control" into a TV remote.

The other thing Ninty have managed to do (very sneaky) - is better separate the Wiimote & Wii.

They could release a completely upgraded Wiimote - is this a console upgrade?

What about keeping the existing Wiimotes - and releasing a new Wii unit? Is that an upgrade?

It would also be TRIVIAL for Ninty to release an "updated" version of the Wii, that has more internal memory (say 4Gig, instead of 512MB).

Why bother releasing a Wii with more internal memory when you have limitless possibilities using the SD card slot?  I think it's in Nintendo's best interest to leave the internal memory at 512MB as SD cards will make huge jumps in sizes over the next few years. (Die shrinks have been speeding up, thus upping production capabilities, older fabs get converted to flash memory, new technologies to replace flash using the same form factors etc.)

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.