By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioWare: JRPGs suffer from 'lack of evolution'

Well, I'd say all genres evolve too damn slowly, and the more expensive games get the slower any evolution will get as companies get more and more risk adverse.

Hell, Mass Effect wasn't exactly some huge evolution itself and look at the MP centric carbon copy world FPS has become.

But he's right, just more than he means and I'd bring his companies games under the same spotlight myself.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Yeah right, all FF's have the same storyline, re-hashed characters, and improved graphics /sarcasm
I agree that some of the characters may seem very similar, and that the graphics are updated on each release, but may I just point out how unique FFX was, it really did have a unique storyline and game play, i mean every time they release a JRPG they at least change the battle system just to keep us all interested, and I still think swords, staffs, etc >> guns

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Bioware should really really really make their games not a technical disaster before they can talk.
even thought their games are great, all the games they release had/have huge number of technical glitches

so i think Bioware should atleast do it right before they can talk about this.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

first i a agree, but wrpgs suck balls too. "wrpgs are popular, that means we are amazing" cocky bastard
wrpgs cliches:
souless world with a souless main character.
macho marine
american empire(apocaliptic, conquering the space , conquering infirior species,etc)
star trek or toliken crap.
o yes and killing and killing inocent people for no good reason, crappy story and 1000 empty endings

jonnhytesta said:
first i a agree, but wrpgs suck balls too. "wrpgs are popular, that means we are amazing" cocky bastard
wrpgs cliches:
macho marine
american empire(apocaliptic, conquering the space , conquering infirior species,etc)
o yes and killing and killing inocent people for no good reason, crappy story and 1000 empty endings

Don't forget obvious 'good' 'evil' path to try and get you to play the game twice and get more Trophies/Achivements.  Or is that Paragon and Renegade?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

That man speaks the truth. I've lost my interest in JRPGs (with the rare exception, such as The World Ends With You or tactical / strategy RPGs, but that's mainly because of the gameplay, not the story).

I feel it most with the FF and DQ series, the gameplay was great at first, but it's more or less still the same, the only thing to keep my interest would be interesting story or a major game mechanics rehaul. The thing about ME and DA:O is that they are set into incredibly deep and believeable universe, they have great story which you can actually affect to some degree (choices) and they are fun to play. I don't care if ME will become full fledged shooter, as long as it keeps the above mentioned, it can be a fucking soccer, I don't care.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

It is maybe true but that's how i like them!

Favourite Games:

PS: Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VII. PS2: Resident Evil 4, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 4, Soul Calibur III. PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted 2, Mototstorm PR, God of War III, Modern Warfare 2. Xbox: Suteki, Fatal Frame II DC, Jade Empire. 360: Dead Rising, Lost Odyssey, Dead or Alive 4.

Games are always the same. FF differs a lot more between the games then most iif the games. Because most of the games are like previous games with better graphic and storyline. So what exactly is the difference between all shooters since wolfenstein ? Oh yeah you can throw granades and hold just 2 weapons plus the energy refills automaticaly.

And this are the only changes between ALL Shooter games. Ok there might be some exceptions like portal. But FF1 has almost nothing to do with FF12 the system is always different. In FF 8 for exampel is leveling not as important as drawing Spells. And using magic is almost not necessary. FF 12 let you program your characters with a simple programming language. Persona and Pokemon are different too. Sorry but JRPGS are the genre which varies the most.

The differences between FFs are huge for gaming standards. Where is the difference between the 3d marios. Or the 2d marios. Or between Streetfighter and Tekken or between racing games or between WRPGS. We have some games but they replicate themselfs all over and over again too. Like the sims.

Evolution in games is slowly. The most experimental games fail anyway. The audience want the same over and over again. Until they are so full with the same concept that they need a slight little change this game which provides the minor change will be the king for 5 years after this time everything starts again. What should JRPGS do to be more succesful ? FF12 sucked (I think it was one of the best FF ever) heavy rain will be eventually a commercial flop. but Halo Nr 12004983 will have 20 million sales together with Call of Duty Ants at war 309 it will be the most selled games of all time.

Gamers dont want innovation (the most). Jrpgs are evolving as fast as the rest. I cant see a huge innovation in the games. Ok Spore was innovative Tetris and the first platformer together with pong and Sim City and the little computer people. First fighting game first racing game and pac man and FF 1 and maybe Zelda 1 and Wolfenstein. Ok thats all. Everything after this is just a small improvment of the formular and the games which changed the genre and added something like Doom/Halo/gran turismo are historical. Because they were able to change the formula a little.

Jrpgs are as innovative as all other games.

Bioware makes good games I like them but if they know what JRPGS are making false they do know what they could do right. I want to hear that please. Jrpgs from Ego perspective with giant guns ? Jrpgs are the games which are probably the most exotic in 99.9% of the households.

jonnhytesta said:
wrpgs cliches:
macho marine
o yes and killing and killing innocent people for no good reason, crappy story and 1000 empty endings

They have good soundtrack tho

And you can have sex in them too

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

mmmm.....i actually found JRPG is more fun and story telling much better than the WRPG...i can never get into the mood playing Mass Effect, Oblivion etc....in the end, everybody have their own opinion and that is how world is evolve. Give me JRPG any days......!!!!