By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anecdotal -- Consoles in Stock at One Super Wal Mart in Austin, TX.

johnlucas said:

One thing to remember is that in-store stock display can be deceiving. You don't know how many they have in backroom in storage of either system.

Here where I live in Southeast Georgia at my local Wal-Mart I didn't see a PS3 for months after release (except for the one in display used on the demo screens). Always saw the games but never the system. And still when I go to the store I tend to see that single one sitting there like always. But just one.

It's space constraints for one but also subtle manipulation by the retailers to create an impression of a must-have out-of-stock-soon system hoping on people to buy it.

I've occassionally seen 4 Wiis in stock at one time in this store but of course they don't last long. It's usually empty and NOT because of retailer storeshelf manipulation.

360s seem to be stable with always one or two or more in the cases.

Ask someone who works in the back what's going on or the clerks of said store and you'll get a clearer picture. Ask "Do you have any ______ in stock?" placing whatever system of choice in the blank and listen to the response and tone of response.

If it's somewhat resigned and exasperated response that's an out-of-stock system because the clerk may get asked this constantly and is tired of hearing it.

A friend of mine works in the back of this Wal-Mart and he let me know how things were going.

John Lucas

That's true.  The Toys R US by me always has 2 PS3's.  Mainly because that's all the display room they give it.  Two PS3's one infront of the other, next to the elites which vary between 1 and 2.  Then they have one or two premiums and cores.  Then one time I saw a wii.  Just the one time though.  Gamestops by me are the same way considering how small they are. 

Around the Network

My local walmart doesn't have display space for the Wii at all. Apparently they decided to just account for the sellouts and put other crap there because where it should be is usually full of DS's or other crap.

But they do the same thing with the display cases for the PS3/360 and only have 4 of each out at once with more in the back I would assume.

To Each Man, Responsibility

this last week i saw 2 stores with wiis in stock which is a first since launch for me. i think the holiday stock is starting to trickle in. I almost always find at least a few ps3s and xboxs.

Somewhat on topic, this last weekend I went to a different best buy then I usually go to and saw something I thought was strange. They had a giant section of wii, ds, xbox 360, and ps2 games but the ps3 games were all held in the back. They had this tiny little section that only had pictures of the ps3 games and then you had to ask an employee to get it from the back if you wanted to buy it. The word "ouch" came to mind. I actually kinda felt sorry for the ps3 lol.

I'm in middle TN too, and I have been checking for all the consoles, just for fun. Wii's I cannot find anywhere...haven't seen one in the wild yet.....yes, I'v never seen one at all for sale...been looking for about 2 months. The Arcade 360's and PS3 40gb's are also out of stock locally this weekend....wal-mart, target, and just occasionally gamestop are my usual places to check.

PS3 60gb and 80gb and the other 360's are generally in stock...I haven't checked for Halo versions of 360.

I'm a little disgusted to see Wii's, 360 Arcades, and PS3 40gbs simultaneously out of stock. Personally I find the Wii's and PS3's the most attractive to purchase, Wii for fun controller and its lineup of oddball games, like Wii Fit....I don't want a degree to play a game, so I guess I'm a casual gamer...and I like the PS3, because its also a Blu-ray player....but since I watch foreign films, and they only claim the extra space could be used for foreign language tracks....they don't actually bother to include foreign language tracks...or even subtitles...so right now, its only potential...but in actuality no better than DVD at all....in fact, worse than DVD, cause I can at least import other regions DVD's and find the track I want....I study Russian...Blu-Ray is almost nonexistent with Russian language tracks and subtitles....and HD-DVD, is only slightly better with two native Russian movies on HD-DVD...where oddly enough, they didn't include English....anyway I digress...PS3 is potentially appealing for also being a movie player, except the movies for the most part, aren't there, and the extra space, on the movies that are there....not being used as they once claimed it would.

How many wii's in stock thread are we going to have? Maybe when all three (mostly wii) are in constant supply we will all stop wondering about this.

I have only seen Wii's in stock once. Vancouver, WA. (Twice if you count launch when I bought mine at Gamestop)