By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy between 7-15 hours long...

Legend11 said:
People are missing the point of this thread, it isn't to bash Super Mario Galaxy, it's to bash the people who define a game by a set number of hours and then bash it if the number of hours is low. In the case of some of the games I've mentioned it's obvious that the people who define the game as being under 10 hours haven't completed all the challenges in them.

For example take a game like Halo 3, some of the people who bash the game talk about the single player component of the game as being under 10 hours, yet anyone who has tried to find all of the skulls for example knows that without cheating it definitely takes a lot longer than 10 hours to find them all. One skull in particular is notoriously hard to find, with many people having spent 20 or more hours just trying to find it.

I guess I won't be able to get through to some of the people who judge games like I've mentioned, since they apparently just come up with new excuses to justify their views and don't see what they're doing is wrong. If you want to believe the challenges in SMG are somehow more worthy than those in some other games that's your choice but at the end of the day it's time that completists are putting into a game to get as much as they possibly can out of it and I really don't agree that an hour in one game should be considered any less worthy than an hour in another.

The thing is though you don't generally count things like finding all the skulls in Halo 3 or finding all the starts in SMG as part of the games length.  If you do talk about that, it's generally something like Halo 3's single player takes about 10 hours while it takes about 30 if you want to find everything.

Around the Network
celine said:
This thread is a joke, Legend11 is a joke.

^What celine said.

Legend11, please refrain from posting flamebait topics.  It just annoys everyone. 

The funny thing is that he didn't even acknowledge his mistake yet...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

What is the evidence that this game is 7 hours long again? Is it just some random poster on NeoGaf?

I've now read 4 reviews, and all put the game time between 15 and 25 hours. Every single one. This isn't like Heavenly Sword, where a multitude of (professional) sources spoke up about game length; it's a single (unprofessional, unverifiable) source that's countered by several professional reviewers. I'll wait and see -- I suppose it's possible that all the professional video game reviewers are wrong and this random guy in a forum is correct -- but if I had to guess who was right, I'd say there's a strong chance it's the unanimous voice of reviewers, and not a single random guy on a video game forum.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/supermariogalaxy

To repeat, Legend, I'm willing to listen to you -- but a single, random, unprofessional, unverifiable post on a some video game forum really isn't very good evidence to support your claims. Can you provide any other evidence? Because there is already a wealth of evidence from verifiable, professional sources that suggests you're wrong.

But let me make this clear: yes, if you can actually confirm through substantial sources that Super Mario Galaxy is 7 hours long, then I would be disappointed in the game, no question. I think almost everyone here would agree with that.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

7 hours for a speed-run? My heart can't contains how much joy I feel looking at this ^^.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Around the Network
Daileon said:
7 hours for a speed-run? My heart can't contains how much joy I feel looking at this ^^.

Don't worry, within a year I'm sure someone will figure out how to beat it in under an hour.  What the hell Nintendo, I expect more than an hour game for my money!

That 16 minute Mario 64 video was awesome.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:

And it took him only one star to finish it, meaning the other 119 are best represented by achievements and/or skulls

The_vagabond7 said:

16 minutes?

What about this one?

Why don't we wait for the game to be released before we say how long it is. That being said, I can't hardly believe that the game is 7 hours long. From Mario 2 on, the games have been marathons. Yes you could take warp pipes and beat the first three in mere minutes if you wanted to, but to really go through them and beat them took days. Super Mario Sunshine still lies in the realm of the unbeatens with me, and I have been playing that game for years now. Off and on. Mario 64 was a really long game. My point is that the Mario Franchise has been cranking out long games for the last decade. Why would they cut corners now and spurt out some short game? I really don't believe this report. It's bogus.