By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Persona 4 Staffers Readying New Game

lestatdark said:
@Boutros

Yes, the overall panorama for JRPG's in the Wii hasn't been great so far, it's good, but not great.

DQX might change that as well, but hasn't Tales of Grace already given a slight nudge towards an improvement in the JRPG camp? Last I saw, people in here were happy with it's japan sales.

Well yes I guess they are great but both the PS3 and the PSP (and the 360 is suprisingly high) sold more week one.

Tales of Graces (Wii) - 140k

Tales of Vesperia (360) - 106k

Tales of Vesperia (PS3) -225k

Tales of VS. - (PSP) -143k

It would not be the best money move on the Wii I think.

Around the Network

@Soriku

I got my impressions from the thread that posted it's inital sales, I think I remember there were some positive reactions, since it sold high for a Tales game, even with all the things going by against the game.

May not be the greatest example, that will be reserved for DQX when it launches on the Wii ;)

I have no problem to where it goes, I just want the developers to focus on giving us the best possible experience that they can, which has always been the best selling point in the persona saga.

I would love to see a HD persona, but a Wii, a PSP, heck, even a DS persona would be just as good in my opinion :)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@Boutros

Didn't know about those numbers, yet wasn't it Tales of Grace the only one of those Tales games that had some fierce competition on the same week or following weeks? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not much into sales data X.X

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
@Boutros

Didn't know about those numbers, yet wasn't it Tales of Grace the only one of those Tales games that had some fierce competition on the same week or following weeks? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not much into sales data X.X

I actually don't really know.

Edit: Oh well read Soriku's post :)

Soriku said:
Boutros said:
lestatdark said:
@Boutros

Yes, the overall panorama for JRPG's in the Wii hasn't been great so far, it's good, but not great.

DQX might change that as well, but hasn't Tales of Grace already given a slight nudge towards an improvement in the JRPG camp? Last I saw, people in here were happy with it's japan sales.

Well yes I guess they are great but both the PS3 and the PSP (and the 360 is suprisingly high) sold more week one.

Tales of Graces (Wii) - 140k

Tales of Vesperia (360) - 106k

Tales of Vesperia (PS3) -225k

Tales of VS. - (PSP) -143k

It would not be the best money move on the Wii I think.

We went over this in the other thread but Graces had factors going against it. From GAF people it seems the game's the game is being overshadowed by the bigger games like NSMB and FF XIII. So ToG isn't a good example of whether or not the Wii can sell JRPGs well or not. The other games didn't have similar situations.

@lestat

I think P5 will release before DQ X though. P5 might be earlyish to mid 2011 assuming they're only starting to work on it next year and they take like a year or a year and a half assuming they're reusing sources and not doing a big overhaul.

DQ X will sell 3 mil copies AT LEAST though :P

A DS Persona would be cool if they made it similar to TWEWY in terms of presentation.

And what about Tales of Symphonia 2?

Around the Network

@Soriku

Well, development for Persona 4 was short if i'm not mistaken, taking up to two years to make it. So that time span can be actually accurate, using the same resources that they already have, but that would also limit their options to more compatible hardware.

It will depend on how the producers want to shift the development of the game into, I guess we will start to hear some more news come next year, after they release their current games.

A DS Persona with a similar framework of TWETY would be extremely awesome, especially if they can find a way to overhaul that system and implement it into the personas per se ;)

Also, i'm with you on the DQ X scenario, I think that's even the lowest end possible for DQ X when it releases, given that it will release to a much larger user base in that time when compared to the user base of the PS2 when they launched DQ VIII, and that one did extremely good.

Plus if DQ IX is any indication, it's that the series is as strong as ever, at least in Japan :)

Current PC Build

Soriku said:
ToS2 released in Summer 08 with no competition whatsoever.

Indeed but it didn't sell that much.

ToS2: 220k on a 6,347,068 userbase (Wii)

ToS: 320k on a 2,441,809 userbase (Gamecube)

All only in Japan.

@Soriku

Well, let's see and wait how this will play out, we don't even have an official confirmation that it will be Persona 5, so next year, when they release new information, it's going to be interesting, to say the least ;)

Current PC Build

Its going to be on PS3 or PSP. No matter how you spin it the sales of the Wii JRPGs have been, less then impressive. Tales of Graces should have outsold, WKCs first week. I don't care what anyone says because it all seems like weak excuses especially when It was being hyped to the ceilings.

Im will to bet my money that its a PS3 exclusive and if it is it'll outdo Tales of Graces and Crystal Chronicles first week and LTD In Japan.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

@Shadowsoldier

You didn't need to be so abrasive in your commentary against the Wii side ;) Also, when DQ X, if it does similar DQ IX numbers, would the Wii still be a bad ground for JRPG's?

Current PC Build