By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 going to be a "long" game says Payton, plus other info

5 different environments...I hope they all aren't monochromatic.

Around the Network

Let's hope its long. I've been able to beat all of the MGS games in one day, even MGS3.

I'll take the case!!!

It sucks at first but im glad mgs 4 and ssmb for that matter got delayed. More content, longer story, more characteres. And theres so many games coming out anyway you can keep yourself occupied.

this is the game i'm waiting for!!! as for game length, the extra environments and not to mention the fact you can change the outcomes of the different battles should allow for alot of replay value.

I beat the 3 MG games in 12 hours, and 2 hours of that was cut-scenes. Not a fan of the gameplay, but I love the story.

Also, since we are on the subject:

Around the Network
DonWii said:

I beat the 3 MG games in 12 hours, and 2 hours of that was cut-scenes. Not a fan of the gameplay, but I love the story.

Also, since we are on the subject:

Input Wii in place of PS3, and Brawl in place of MGS.  That's my pain. I expect to buy a PS3 for MGS4.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

What does long mean, for me, it depends on the genre. Sports games have no length (I must have played PES 6 for over 150 hours last year), RPGs have to be at least 30 hours long (at the very shortest). For the rest, 10 hours is fine, 15 good (inc replayability). If a game has multiplayer, than it can have a shorter play through time, because in many cases it is just training for online.

With MGS4, I think MGO will be bundled, but I think that it still has to be 10 hours through to be classified as having a decent length, but for long, I would assume he would have to mean 15-20 hours

add me

A long game in this genre would be 15-20 hours, which I'm sure MGS 4 will be.

Five different environments... holy freaking Buddhazilla... no wonder they're taking their time. Well, not really taking their time, judging by Ryan Payton's excellent podcasts they're overclocking in the mad rush to final production (they have only five months left).

It's amazing, the sheer amount of electricity radiating from the MGS franchise. In a way, the series has followed the trajectory of gaming - from toy for little kids, to cult hit, to bestseller, to blockbuster, and finally to mega-blockbuster.

I'm really intrigued with MGS4's "never-been-done-before" opening cinematic.
Seems that they're throwing a lot at it, and I'm really interested in what it might exactly be. Sounds promising to say the least, can't wait to check it out.