By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is FF7's shocking moment considered the most shocking *spoilers*

Khuutra said:
pearljammer said:
Khuutra said:
I don't know why Aeris's death was considered that surprising.

I mean, they kind of foreshadowed it over the entirety of the first disk. The two or three hours leading up to it practically screamed about how she was going to die.

I think, for me, why it was so poignant at the time and still so memorable today is because I was only 13 when I had first played it and I haven't played it in a nice while since (at least 10 years). No doubt my observational skills and comprehension at that time were lacking somewhat, which most likely would explain my surprise.

I can't really speak of it today as I haven't played it in about ten years, but I'll certainly take your word for it.

OT: Anyhow, the only shock I've had in the videogame world recently is noticing how many bloody hours I logged into WoW in past years. I activated a 7-day free pass (their 5-year anniversary) after having not played in over a year and was amazed at how many days I logged in on that account. Luckily, I still find it boring and will not subscribe again.

Here's the thing:

I think actually liked Aeris's death better because of the foreshadowing. If it had just come out of nowhere I don't think it would have been as touching - though that's partially to blame on the internet spoiling this damn game for me.

Nah, it's forshadowed well before.

Also... it was in the commercials for the game!

Though I never really watched the commercials for the game for actual fear of it spoiling something.

Really, what would of been more shocking would of been had they had some balls and finished the scene how they started it.

By having Cloud do it... so much more interesting from a storytelling standpoint that way.

Around the Network
tehsage said:

Alright, so, Aerith dies in FF7. Yes, I'm pretty everyone and their mother knows that by now. However, I'm a little curious as to why her death bothered people so much versus what has happened in other Final Fantasys.

For instance, in Final Fantasy VI, an entire kingdom is killed. AN ENTIRE KINGDOM. Pshh, we don't care about them. We only care about party members!

I'm playing Final Fantasy IV right now. It's my first time, so, no extra spoilers please. Anyhow, three people in my party have died so far. Two of which were fucking children. TWO KIDS SACRIFICE THEMSELVES. Aerith is killed. "OMG NOOOOO" Two children die. "Who cares?"

>__>; Thoughts?

they didn't like those.

the difference nomura was able to potrait aeris at a sweet girl, that pretty much everyone likes.

in FF4 those "·$"·$"· kid were annoying

I want that distraught, really. in fact, I laughed to myself imagining this:

cloud: I wasnt expecting that!!!

sephiroth: NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!

cloud:......

seriously, It wasnt that sad. they looked like fucking origami figures. Plus arieth wasnt even with you that long. Ive grown more attached to my toothbrush in that amount of time

"Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For I am Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!"

I played it. I thought it was a great game, but I agree with you. I never thought that it was that big of a shocker. I was like,"Oh, that sucks............when do I get to fight Sephiroth." Whatever.

edjevink said:
Let me ask you this, what will shock you more:

- If your girlfriend (or a friend or family member for that matter) would be killed right in front of your eyes.

- All the civilians that die on a daily basis because of war/hunger/diseases.

Exactly. You have your answer right there.

Aeris wasn't Clouds girlfriend.  And unless you were REALLY into the story of FFVII, you wouldn't have made much of a connection with Aeris before she died.  I played the whole game with her at all the times she was available and still, all that led me to have was frustration because I lost a permanent character I had been focusing on for 15 hours.

Frankly, with the amount of death found in the FF series, Aeris' death was nothing new or amazing.  It was only 'shocking' to people in America because for many of them, it was either their first FF game or first RPG.  If they had played FFIV or even other RPGs (such as Suikoden, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Lufia, Dragon Warrior II-IV, the list goes on), characters dying would have been second nature to them.  Its as normal as fighting monsters or using potions.  Almost every JRPG has it (except something like the Mario RPG series).

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
edjevink said:

- If your girlfriend (or a friend or family member for that matter) would be killed right in front of your eyes.

Aeris wasn't Clouds girlfriend.  And unless you were REALLY into the story of FFVII, you wouldn't have made much of a connection with Aeris before she died.  I played the whole game with her at all the times she was available and still, all that led me to have was frustration because I lost a permanent character I had been focusing on for 15 hours.

Frankly, with the amount of death found in the FF series, Aeris' death was nothing new or amazing.  It was only 'shocking' to people in America because for many of them, it was either their first FF game or first RPG.  If they had played FFIV or even other RPGs (such as Suikoden, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Lufia, Dragon Warrior II-IV, the list goes on), characters dying would have been second nature to them.  Its as normal as fighting monsters or using potions.  Almost every JRPG has it (except something like the Mario RPG series).

Also.  Ironiclly while your girlfriend DOESN'T die in FF7.

It could be argued your WIFE dies in FF6.

Oh... and your child.

And then they pretty much die again...

and people actually show more emotion at the loss vs FF7.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
edjevink said:

You actually have to wonder why people don't make a bigger deal of Crono's death considering you spent 4 times as much time with him by the time he "dies."

twesterm said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
edjevink said:

You actually have to wonder why people don't make a bigger deal of Crono's death considering you spent 4 times as much time with him by the time he "dies."

I think it blows your mind too much.

I mean.  Chrono is the silent protaganist.  Which means... well he's YOU.  In early games YOU were the silent protaganist...

and then suddenly YOU die more or less.

It's really confusing...

I mean has anyone else killed off a silent protaganest before... or even since?  (Outside of the "your dead, and it's a plot point... fight your way out of hell type stuff.")

How do you react to your own death?

twesterm said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
edjevink said:

Mostly because less people had played the game.  Pretty much, the FFVII hype pushing everything about the game again.

Also, I'd just like to say, even as a silent protagonist, can anyone really say Chrono wasn't a better character than Aeris?  It really is baffling why Aeris is labeled as the most 'shocking' moment in an RPG to this day, while on the most part people still look back to Aeris as a forgettable and even boring character.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I think the really sad part in FF7 is why Sephiroth did it.

He just wanted to win...