By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is FF7's shocking moment considered the most shocking *spoilers*

twesterm said:
Yojimbo said:
The Aeris scene is one of the most memorable scenes in a game for me. I have finished FF 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12 and played the rest of the games, but few scenes in the serie come close to that one. If I remember correctly FFIV is the game that has most death of characters it did feel little out of place but still the twins death is more memorable then Cyans family in FFVI. Its hard to explain but I felt more connection with Aeris because I had her in my party all the time and I was not expecting that you would lose her. But still its hard for SE to mantain the freshness of the serie I dont think another death of important character would suprise me.

The problem with the deaths in FFIV is they kept coming back and just took away from those scenes and made me feel cheated for feeling those emotions.

• Rydia-- her return was *awesome* and that one didn't feel cheap since she came back in an epic way.
  • Edward-- I didn't like Edward to begin with...
  • Yang-- cheap, he died, he sacrificed himself and he just *pops* comes back.
  • Cid-- still cheap, but at least we found out pretty quick he didn't actually die
  • Palom & Porom-- their scene was so awesome and so sad...and then at the end of the game they're back.  It just made their "death" feel so cheap and I just felt cheated for all those emotions I felt.
  • Tellah-- not as bad as Palom and Poram and I understand why he was there at the end, but I almost didn't want to hear from him again.

I did not remember that Palom & Porom came back now my memory is ruined. No way that I am going to replay FFIV but I need to replay FFVI it was just too long time ago. Is it the portable version good?

Around the Network
twesterm said:
It's not that Aeris' death is more shocking, it's that FFVII is more mainstream.

I personally believe Kefka's action greatly outweigh Sephiroth's but that's because I've actually played both games. Aeris' death was moving, but as you said, Kefka killed an entire nation because he was impatient.

And if you think it was just nameless face, read this and realize why that is such an incredibly emotional sequence.

I found Kefka's actions pretty standard for video game bad guys, I've never understood why people think he's so much more evil than other bad guys.

WHAT

the most SAd moment in an FF was the FF10 ending

the most shocking moment? hmmmmmmmm....hmmmmmmmmm

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

twesterm said:
Xen said:
nofingershaha said:
Entire kingdom = statistic.

Palom and Porum = kids = annoyance

Aerith = potential love interest + we were young and innocent then = HEARTBREAK!!!!!

That's pretty much an answer to your question, tehsage. That is absolutely correct.

Palom and Porum were terribly annoying, and mostly useless, too.

WHAT!?

I don't know what you were doing when you were playing that game but you were doing it wrong.

Yeah... Palon and Porum were two of the most usefull characters in the game.

Khuutra said:
I don't know why Aeris's death was considered that surprising.

I mean, they kind of foreshadowed it over the entirety of the first disk. The two or three hours leading up to it practically screamed about how she was going to die.

I think, for me, why it was so poignant at the time and still so memorable today is because I was only 13 when I had first played it and I haven't played it in a nice while since (at least 10 years). No doubt my observational skills and comprehension at that time were lacking somewhat, which most likely would explain my surprise.

I can't really speak of it today as I haven't played it in about ten years, but I'll certainly take your word for it.

OT: Anyhow, the only shock I've had in the videogame world recently is noticing how many bloody hours I logged into WoW in past years. I activated a 7-day free pass (their 5-year anniversary) after having not played in over a year and was amazed at how many days I logged in on that account. Luckily, I still find it boring and will not subscribe again.

Around the Network
pearljammer said:
Khuutra said:
I don't know why Aeris's death was considered that surprising.

I mean, they kind of foreshadowed it over the entirety of the first disk. The two or three hours leading up to it practically screamed about how she was going to die.

I think, for me, why it was so poignant at the time and still so memorable today is because I was only 13 when I had first played it and I haven't played it in a nice while since (at least 10 years). No doubt my observational skills and comprehension at that time were lacking somewhat, which most likely would explain my surprise.

I can't really speak of it today as I haven't played it in about ten years, but I'll certainly take your word for it.

OT: Anyhow, the only shock I've had in the videogame world recently is noticing how many bloody hours I logged into WoW in past years. I activated a 7-day free pass (their 5-year anniversary) after having not played in over a year and was amazed at how many days I logged in on that account. Luckily, I still find it boring and will not subscribe again.

Here's the thing:

I think actually liked Aeris's death better because of the foreshadowing. If it had just come out of nowhere I don't think it would have been as touching - though that's partially to blame on the internet spoiling this damn game for me.

Khuutra said:

Here's the thing:

I think actually liked Aeris's death better because of the foreshadowing. If it had just come out of nowhere I don't think it would have been as touching - though that's partially to blame on the internet spoiling this damn game for me.

When did you first play it through?

I probably should play this again. Hell, I think it's only $10 on PSN.

Edit: Curse all of you who are hating on Palom and Porom!

Well,

This has been discussed to death in this thread, and it should be agreed that the reason it is seen as so "earth shattering" is because FFVII reached more people. I would like to add, however, that Phantasy Star 2 did the same thing better almost a decade before.

I was so mad that I actually replayed it to try and stop Nei's death. By the time Aeris rolled around, it was not nearly as jarring.

pearljammer said:
Khuutra said:

Here's the thing:

When did you first play it through?

I probably should play this again. Hell, I think it's only $10 on PSN.

Edit: Curse all of you who are hating on Palom and Porom!

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=40832

September of last year, it would seem.

darthdevidem01 said:
WHAT

the most SAd moment in an FF was the FF10 ending

the most shocking moment? hmmmmmmmm....hmmmmmmmmm

I agree with this. No one seems to give FF10's amazing story enough credit. The ending was probably the most sad a game has ever made me.