By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is FF7's shocking moment considered the most shocking *spoilers*

People!!! Don't post any Chrono Trigger spoilers or at least hide them.
I'm planning on playing the game soon.

Around the Network

Wow I can see this thread turned into an anti-FFVII thread, like usual.

I was actually going to answer to the OP by saying this: the shock value in Aeris' death is far greater than any I have seen in any video game.

perpride said:

yeah, I know........... I think Im starting to like this site XD

"Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For I am Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!"

arbitor365 said:
perpride said:

It doesn't matter what the topic at hand is either. If you are talking about anything that has to do with FFVII, there's always a million people that will pour into the thread just to let you know how garbage FFVII was. I'm glad VGC's top 100 games of all time clarified the true king of Final Fantasy.

perpride said:
arbitor365 said:
perpride said:

It doesn't matter what the topic at hand is either. If you are talking about anything that has to do with FFVII, there's always a million people that will pour into the thread just to let you know how garbage FFVII was. I'm glad VGC's top 100 games of all time clarified the true king of Final Fantasy.

I don't think you mean me specifically, but just to clarify, I don't dislike FFVII at all. I do, however, think it's not as good as it's hyped up to be (which isn't saying much given it's unworldly hype). That said, it's my third favorite Final Fantasy. That'll probably change once I properly play FF6, but still.

Around the Network
perpride said:
arbitor365 said:
perpride said:

Yeah, that list was bullshit and we all know it.  In the description they basically said "millions of people bought it and it was the most popular. Therefore it’s the best." they knew they couldnt put something like "it had the most innovative gameplay" or "it had the best storyline" or "it had the best gameplay for its genre" because none of that would have had any truth to it whatsoever. its absurd. any list that has FFVII at the top has no credibility at all.  (and neither does a list that puts "mario galaxy" above "mario 64."). I mean, there are dozens of RPGs that deserve that spot more, much less games from other categories. Are they seriously going to say that FFVII was the second most innovative and influential game OF ALL TIME???? More innovative than pong? More innovative than sinistar? More innovative than doom?? More innovative than Zelda 1??? More innovative than any NES game? It’s a joke.  FFVII is not the second best game ever made. It doesn’t even deserve to be in the top 50 let alone the top ten (I wouldn’t even put it in the top 100).  It did not revolutionize the genre just because it had 3D graphics. 3D RPGs were coming and they didn’t need FFVII in order to do so. It is just plain ignorance to think that we wouldn’t have 3D RPGs today if it weren’t for FFVII. Give me a fucking break.  I hope we get more FFVII hate threads, because that shit needs to get knocked down to size.

"Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For I am Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!"

arbitor365 said:
perpride said:
arbitor365 said:
perpride said:

Yeah, that list was bullshit and we all know it.  In the description they basically said "millions of people bought it and it was the most popular. Therefore it’s the best." they knew they couldnt put something like "it had the most innovative gameplay" or "it had the best storyline" or "it had the best gameplay for its genre" because none of that would have had any truth to it whatsoever. its absurd. any list that has FFVII at the top has no credibility at all.  (and neither does a list that puts "mario galaxy" above "mario 64."). I mean, there are dozens of RPGs that deserve that spot more, much less games from other categories. Are they seriously going to say that FFVII was the second most innovative and influential game OF ALL TIME???? More innovative than pong? More innovative than sinistar? More innovative than doom?? More innovative than Zelda 1??? More innovative than any NES game? It’s a joke.  FFVII is not the second best game ever made. It doesn’t even deserve to be in the top 50 let alone the top ten (I wouldn’t even put it in the top 100).  It did not revolutionize the genre just because it had 3D graphics. 3D RPGs were coming and they didn’t need FFVII in order to do so. It is just plain ignorance to think that we wouldn’t have 3D RPGs today if it weren’t for FFVII. Give me a fucking break.  I hope we get more FFVII hate threads, because that shit needs to get knocked down to size.

WOW You hate FFVII just because most people thinks it's better than Legend of Dragoon. There is something you need to accept here, people has DIFFERENT opinions.

You do know that the list wasn't about innovation nor influence. It is purely based on votes by VGC community, hence why FFVII, SMG and MGS4 being on the Top 10. Besides, you can't deny the impact FFVII made and how influential it was/is. It's definitely one of important games of all-time.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
"For instance, in Final Fantasy VI, an entire kingdom is killed. AN ENTIRE KINGDOM. Pshh, we don't care about them. We only care about party members!"

Well, uh, yeah. Now this may sound insensitive, but I think you would be more personally affected if someone close to you that you know died than if a thousand people somewhere far away you've never met die.

That said, I think it's because FF7 is such a popular game that it overshadows other FFs. I've never played FF4, so I don't know about those kids dying, but FF4 is nowhere near as popular as FF7, which is why I think Aerith dying gets more attention.

Also, Aerith was very easy to like. I think that was part of it, it's been ages since I played FF7, so I might remember it wrong, but wasn't Aerith pretty much pure and innocent all-together? Seeing her die was a pretty big blow because of that.

And for my personal reaction, I played FF7 when I was like 6-7 years old and had a crush on Aerith, so naturally I was pouty as hell when she died and didn't want to play anymore.

Aerith was also the last of her race.

I'll find a interesting real world quote I remember seeing in Call of Duty 2's death screens.

Joseph Stalin

• "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."

There's also the fact that you couldn't help prevent it at all. You feel useless and it happened so quick. And then you have some of Nobuo Uematsu's greatest ever scores begin playing.

It has to do with how popular FFVII is of course.

It didnt shock me cause I dont get shocked by almost nothing and I cant see how someone could get shocked with a VG scene to the point of crying.

But the character, Aeris, was made to be lovable, innocent, etc... and the music in the scene( I have to say is one of my favorite in uematsu work), the animation that was quite new at least in the way it was shown, added to the game`s popularity and many people playing in that moment makes it one of the most relevant scenes in gaming.

Most shocking? No, but very important, in the same way the famous "I am your father" scene is to movies.

Unfortunatly, any time FFVII appears the haters appear too.

Music makes good scenes too.