By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Blu-Ray is bad for the PS3

@vizunary

I meant cheaper to produce!!!! As in cheaper to put games on. Read the context of my post, I was talking about the carts vs cds war from two generations ago

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
Nick said:
vizunary said:
waaah!!! maybe i should start threads like, why last gen graphics are bad for the Wii, or, why no guaranteed HDD is bad for the 360...

This is a good point.  No system is perfect.  However, their is a fundamental difference in a system lacking something that might not be necessary, and another system forcing you to pay for something that might not be necessary.  I don't think that last gen graphics, or lack of a guaranteed HDD has really had any effect on the sales of those systems the way BR has had on the ps3.  I fully believe that the ps3 would be in a much better place, at this moment in time, if they hadn't included BR in their machine.  They focused on selling their movie format and made ps fans front the bill.  I don't think the inclusion of BR was ever about games.  Whether that changes in the future isn't really clear.  I think it could continue to drive them into the ground or be their saving grace.  Guess we'll see soon enough. 

you're right, i'd been much better off paying $400 for my PS3 AND another $1000 for a HD stand alone player... i now see the error of my ways.

vizunary said:
Nick said:
vizunary said:
waaah!!! maybe i should start threads like, why last gen graphics are bad for the Wii, or, why no guaranteed HDD is bad for the 360...

This is a good point.  No system is perfect.  However, their is a fundamental difference in a system lacking something that might not be necessary, and another system forcing you to pay for something that might not be necessary.  I don't think that last gen graphics, or lack of a guaranteed HDD has really had any effect on the sales of those systems the way BR has had on the ps3.  I fully believe that the ps3 would be in a much better place, at this moment in time, if they hadn't included BR in their machine.  They focused on selling their movie format and made ps fans front the bill.  I don't think the inclusion of BR was ever about games.  Whether that changes in the future isn't really clear.  I think it could continue to drive them into the ground or be their saving grace.  Guess we'll see soon enough. 

you're right, i'd been much better off paying $400 for my PS3 AND another $1000 for a HD stand alone player... i now see the error of my ways.

Well, the PS3 wouldn't have launched at $600 and likely sell considerably better. But hey, what do I know, that was only his point and what you tried to refute by changing topic.

(LOL @ how you use the current PS3 price, but not the current price of standalone BR players)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

shams said:

Its not until studios release EXCLUSIVE HD-DVD or BluRay movies that things get REAL interesting. But of course, they would have to be insane to do that now - as it would cost them 90% of their revenue (approx).

Even Sony doesn't have the balls to do this with Spiderman 3 - that would make things interesting. (of course their shareholders would kill them - but maybe an exclusivity period of a month might help?)

Totally true, but being totally honest.  I am surprised that Sony didn't try and time the release of Spiderman 3 on Blu-ray...ie. release it on Blu-ray first and foremost, then release the DVD version a few weeks later.  By doing this, they can force a few hands for people to buy the BR version rather than the DVD version and maybe force a few player sales as well.

In all honesty, Sony could start to do this pretty soon.  And you're totally right about the exclusivity period of a month...that would have been brilliant for BR on a whole for Spiderman 3....but missed OP.

I'm not sure what big Sony film releases are coming out soon...does anyone have a list? 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

BTW, in terms of helping PS3 games, content or not, the sales need to pick up. All the bonus features don't matter if the games aren't profitable enough.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Yeah thats another issue for Sony. Microsoft's far higher attach rate will allow them to drop the price of the console quicker and still be making more money overall. Im flabbergasted that they have been moving upwards of 100,000 units a week and still maintaining their attach rate

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@shams, If toshiba's uber strategy was so "uber" woulden't more company's be jumping on the bandwagon of making hardware for HD-DVD? Toshiba's "competetive' price doesn't even work for toshiba, if you want to talk about WHY blu-ray players are twice the cost, yet like 12x the ammount of company's make them it's because theres a market for blu-ray hardware, not so much on the HD-DVD side.

Your reasons for liking the DS are phenomenal :) I have no problems admitting nintendo targeted a way better audience, that and this is Sony 1'st? Handheld gaming device? But if you wan't to talk about hardware vrs. hardware I'd NEVER chose the DS over the PSP, and even then I find the ol PS1 rpg's to offer me way more than anything the DS has been able to thus far. The software selection is purely opinionated I understand that, but maybe I was looking for a little more out of my handheld, and if were talking about that "little more" the psp wins hands down.  Sure UMD's are starting to show they're age, but back when a 512 mb SD card was 30$ I bet that good ol 1.8G UMD looked pretty damn awesome. Also not sure if you cared, but we CAN store games to our Card's also, just not quite as many as you can on the DS, (my ex has a 4g SD card with like 200? pirated games...) she's way to casual to buy >_>;;; 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

starcraft said:
At least Shams has taken the time to actually read my thread's content, as have a coupld of others. At no point have I criticised the next-generation format Blu-Ray (though on a side note, Harvey Birdman is crazy if he thinks its winning a decisive victory anytime soon). What I have said is that including the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 was bad for the console.

This does not for a moment mean that it's inclusion was bad for Blu-Ray, just that it was bad for the console. So far all the player's inclusion has done is force up the price of the console and therefore massively reduce its sales. If anyone had told you the PS3 would have had under 6 million sales at this point BEFORE its price was announed, you would have called them crazy.

My fundamental point is that Blu-Ray has in no substantial way (other than relatively wealthy technophile purchases) assisted the PS3, but it has inhibited it. Also, if Blu-Ray does prevail over HD DVD, it will fall in price drastically, and very few casual consumers will purchase a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. Better Blu-Ray players will come out, and even if they didn't, all early-adopting technophiles already have their PS3's.

ON the other hand, if Blu-Ray fails it will be catastrophic for the PS3. The player is incompatible with HD DVD, so all games that have already been printed could not be played if Sony switched formats. But if Sony did not switch formats the PS3 would simply be an overpriced console with no tangible benefits over its far cheaper rivals.

The one exception to this is the possibility that Sony could prove Blu-Ray has tangible and inescapable benefits for gaming, but to argue that they have proven this at this point is stupid. People will not pay hundreds of dollars extra to avoid switching disks every ten hours. The PS3's difficult hardware, limited RAM and small userbase are greatly diminishing the developers technical and financial resources, which would have been needed to produce longer games. Even Sony's first party games have so far been SHORTER than last generation. Sony claimed that Heavenly Sword had ten gigabytes of audio, but did it really matter when people like Rocketpig beat the game in 5hrs and 14min???

On top of this, the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 actually has a lower disc read speed than the 360's DVD player. Any claims that developers will now not bother with compression are ridiculous, as any smart developer does this to speed up resources, limit the load on their development servers, and reduce load times when the game is actually being played.

Finally, Leo-j made a snide comment about cd's changing the gaming industry's layout because they had more space but he is fundamentally incorrect. The reason most developers went with the PS1's Cd's rather than the N64's carts is because cd's were substantially cheaper......

DVDS=CHEAPER THAN BLU-RAY DISKS!!!!!

I never said anything about it winning anytime soon, In fact I mentioned that this is only 10 laps in a 100 lap race. But remember that HD DVD needs to show the public that it is here to stay in the long run. Studio support will play a major role in HD DVD's future. There is no point to buy cheap hardware If there is little software to support it. (good software).

Do you think that Sony would sit there and watch HD DVD hardware drop in price and do nothing about it? Hoidays sales this year will give us a better idea about how both HD DVD and blu ray handle themselves in the long run.

I'll take the case!!!

Harvey Birdman said:

I never said anything about it winning anytime soon, In fact I mentioned that this is only 10 laps in a 100 lap race. But remember that HD DVD needs to show the public that it is here to stay in the long run. Do you think that Sony would sit there and watch HD DVD hardware drop in price and do nothing about it?

Yep, if the PS3 is any indication stand alone Blu-Ray player prices should be dropping pretty soon. They should probably waittill post-Thanksgiving, when a price drop announcement will hit very very hard.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

starcraft said:
On top of this, the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 actually has a lower disc read speed than the 360's DVD player. Any claims that developers will now not bother with compression are ridiculous, as any smart developer does this to speed up resources, limit the load on their development servers, and reduce load times when the game is actually being played.

Finally, Leo-j made a snide comment about cd's changing the gaming industry's layout because they had more space but he is fundamentally incorrect. The reason most developers went with the PS1's Cd's rather than the N64's carts is because cd's were substantially cheaper......

DVDS=CHEAPER THAN BLU-RAY DISKS!!!!!

Two things:

1) Just because the speed on the BR drive is 2x doesn't mean that the amount of data being read is 5 times slower than the 360's 10x DVD drive. You do understand that a typical Blu-Ray disc has a MUCH HIGHER data density than a regular DVD does, so one disc rotation read of a Blu-Ray disc contains a lot more data than a one rotation disc read of a DVD. Also, the 2x speed on the BR is a constant speed, whereas the 10x speed on the 360's DVD drive is the maximum speed, it varies depending on where it is reading the disc. It has been proven that the PS3 and 360's data streaming are comparable

2) DVD's may be cheaper to replicate, but it's not "substantially" cheaper than Blu-Ray. According to this website (dated Feb 10, 2007): [http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-analyzed-again/113/ ], it shows that to replicate a Blu-Ray disc is $1.30 for single layer, $1.45 for a double layer disc (I'm assuming disc replication costs have further reduced since this article is about 9 months old). Again, prices are NOT substantial, not compared to a proprietary cartridge format.