By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft ends 10 year fight with EU.

Jereel Hunter said:

Not at all. What do you use to browse files on your Windows computer? Windows Explorer? What if they decided that it was unfair for Microsoft to bundle a visual file browser interface with their computer? You had to use command prompt unless you obtained an alternative yourself?

I am testing free alternatives for it - FreeCommander ATM, thank you very much.

And assuming such a thing would come to pass (which I strongy doubt), I suppose the solution would be similar to the one proposed for the browsers - when installing the system, you get to choose between explorer.exe and some other available shell choices.

Long ago, MS decided that web browsing was an INTEGRAL part of a PC user's experience. Are they right?

I'll get back to that if/when that Google OS ever gets an official RC.

But I just bought a new laptop, I would be INFURIATED to fire up the laptop and find I have no way to go online. You buy a machine with windows 7, plug it into your cable modem/router, and it pretty much just works. How much good does that do you if you have no browser?

I'd assume that with all laptops that come with an preinstalled OS, the user gets to choose a browser to be installed for the said system, or DL one later with Windows Update. And if you choose not to have a preinstalled system, you're probably knowledgeable enough to obtain an installer without a browser - with, say, a FTP client.

And binding critical functions to it - I say, "So what?"

Like Alby_da_wolf said, it's unnecessary, doesn't really benefit anyone besides MS, and causes more trouble than it's worth IMO. And apparently it's anti-competitive according to EU legislation.

"They could have dodged this bullet years ago" ? There shouldn't have been a bullet to dodge.

That may (not) be, but there was, and it cost them - and it's not exactly the first time they've been slapped for this sort of thing. Hell, they've been in court several times for this specific reason, and it's ended up costing them each time - you'd think they'd have stopped bundling IE with Windows years ago.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network

I'd see the point...

If Microsoft made it so no other browser worked with windows.

However this feels like saying a car company can't install their own radios in cars.

I mean... wohoo... take 5 minutes to go online and download something else.

If you don't even know other internet browsers exist... (like some people claim)

How informed are you going to be choosing a web browser anwyay?

Well, for me IE is the browser that I use to download a good brower. Thats fine for me.

I definately see WereKitten's point about Microsoft using their OS dominance to sell other products. They do the same with xbox and third party peripherals, but in that case actually prevent people from using non-microsoft accessories like headsets, memory cards, and hard drives. Forcibly preventing choice is probably a bigger infringement than what the EU is talking about here, though the browser case clearly effects far more people.

What does it matter if you can make a faster, more secure, more customizable web brower if most of the market is apathetic or uninformed? A web browser is something a lot of people just take for granted.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

So basically M$ needs to be forced to bundle browsers from their competitors on Windows to encourage competition just because there are people out there who are ignorant of a better alternative? Firefox is getting pretty mainstream and has 32% marketshare. There are hot chicks I know (who aren't computer geeks by any stretch of the imagination) who use Firefox. Firefox is not just a thing within the open-source movement anymore. The mainstream is using it. If someone can't figure out what the other options are, it's their own fault. The options are very easy to find. More nanny state BS from the EU government.

EU are a bunch of hypocrites. "Oh let's go after M$ for their "monopoly" (when IE only owns 60% or so of the web browser market now) while Apple has a complete hardware monopoly on the Mac platform. The Mac is a closed platform (almost like a console even except you don't need to pay licensing fees to Apple if you want to create software to run on their hardware and OS), unlike the PC and yet you don't see the EU government going after them. It's become the hip arthouse indie "rebel" thing to bash M$ and like Mac even though their practices are more anti-competitive than M$ (by having a closed platform).

I fully support the open-source movement (short of installing Linux. Because not all pieces of software I use are supported by Linux). But what's happening to M$ is completely unfair. How about the EU go down hard on Apple for a change?

Mudface said:
Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said: "Millions of European consumers will benefit from this decision by having a free choice about which web browser they use."

As opposed to now, when they have a free choice about which web browser they use.

No, wait....

post a screenshot of Windows Update, or ANY internal windows function working in Firefox and I might agree with you. Sure, you can use another browser as play toy, but you have to use IE to do certain things in windows.  Until now. 

IE was/is junk. It only became popular because it was the DEFAULT.  Note that it is no longer the default, perhaps the junk will slowly fade away, as it should have done ten years ago....

I am happy someone finally stood up to MSFT and won. Too bad it took so long!

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:
Wow that's retarded! They're in trouble for bundling IE with Windows? Umm..okay I have IE, but guess what? I downloaded Firefox and use that! ooohhhhhhhhhhh

Seriously does IE restrict people in the EU from downloading other browsers or something? Do Europeans not know how to download other browsers? I honestly don't get what the problem is.

That's like getting mad at a toilet company for bundling one brand of toilet paper with their toilets. That doesn't mean you have to stick with that brand of toilet paper now does it?

Really? If you had a lifetime supply fo free toilet paper that came with you toilet, you would ignore it and buy someone elses? Why?

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

jkimball said:
coolestguyever said:
Wow that's retarded! They're in trouble for bundling IE with Windows? Umm..okay I have IE, but guess what? I downloaded Firefox and use that! ooohhhhhhhhhhh

Seriously does IE restrict people in the EU from downloading other browsers or something? Do Europeans not know how to download other browsers? I honestly don't get what the problem is.

That's like getting mad at a toilet company for bundling one brand of toilet paper with their toilets. That doesn't mean you have to stick with that brand of toilet paper now does it?

Really? If you had a lifetime supply fo free toilet paper that came with you toilet, you would ignore it and buy someone elses? Why?

Because i could get antoher lifetime supply of better free toliet paper?

loves2splooge said:

So basically M$ needs to be forced to bundle browsers from their competitors on Windows to encourage competition just because there are people out there who are ignorant of a better alternative? Firefox is getting pretty mainstream and has 32% marketshare. There are hot chicks I know (who aren't computer geeks by any stretch of the imagination) who use Firefox. Firefox is not just a thing within the open-source movement anymore. The mainstream is using it. If someone can't figure out what the other options are, it's their own fault. The options are very easy to find. More nanny state BS from the EU government.

EU are a bunch of hypocrites. "Oh let's go after M$ for their "monopoly" (when IE only owns 60% or so of the web browser market now) while Apple has a complete hardware monopoly on the Mac platform. The Mac is a closed platform (almost like a console even except you don't need to pay licensing fees to Apple if you want to create software to run on their hardware and OS), unlike the PC and yet you don't see the EU government going after them. It's become the hip arthouse indie "rebel" thing to bash M$ and like Mac even though their practices are more anti-competitive than M$ (by having a closed platform).

I fully support the open-source movement (short of installing Linux. Because not all pieces of software I use are supported by Linux). But what's happening to M$ is completely unfair. How about the EU go down hard on Apple for a change?

You were using Firefox in 2004?  Before it existed? That's amazing! Were there hot chicks back then too? Did they actually exist or were they also figments of your imagination?

Do you how hard FF had to work to get 32% to overcome the microsoft's forced bundling? Do you think that was fair?

The entire 9 pages of this thread completly miss the point. Sad, really. I was hoping that VGC members would do a little more thinking before they post. The fact is, five years ago - before firefox was even released - Microsoft jammed IE down everyone's throat by abusing their windows monopoly. (a monopoly Apple does not have, and sure as heck didn't have back then as they were almost dead at the time!). Thus IE crushed all competitive browsers, and took over the internet. Microsoft did this delibrately, knowing full well it was illegal.  Now it's five years later, and the trial is over - and MSFT should not be punished? At all? So if you do something illegal, generate massive profits from it*, and get away with it that is OK, now and forever?

Sigh.

* by using a non-standards compliant browser, they essentially forced the internet to be rewrirtten to the IE standard. They sold, literaly, billions of dollars of IIS servers, Tool sets and dev kits during this time. Billions, kids. Billions.

kowenicki said:
Mudface said:
Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said: "Millions of European consumers will benefit from this decision by having a free choice about which web browser they use."

As opposed to now, when they have a free choice about which web browser they use.

No, wait....

Yep... a commissioner not knowing what the hell he is talking about....  big surprise.

Just exactly how will people "benefit" and just exactly why couldnt they already exercise this free right?  God knows how many millions have been wasted on this action.

Your missing the point. A lot of untechsavy people would never have known about other web browsers without this. Now these people have the ability to experiment and choose the web browser best for them. This is a victory for protecting the unknowing individuals.

This has nothing to do with us, the techsavy ones on the internet, and you think millions were wasted after Microsoft paid the EU that much? I doubt it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

jkimball said:
loves2splooge said:

You were using Firefox in 2004?  Before it existed? That's amazing! Were there hot chicks back then too? Did they actually exist or were they also figments of your imagination?

Do you how hard FF had to work to get 32% to overcome the microsoft's forced bundling? Do you think that was fair?

The entire 9 pages of this thread completly miss the point. Sad, really. I was hoping that VGC members would do a little more thinking before they post. The fact is, five years ago - before firefox was even released - Microsoft jammed IE down everyone's throat by abusing their windows monopoly. (a monopoly Apple does not have, and sure as heck didn't have back then as they were almost dead at the time!). Thus IE crushed all competitive browsers, and took over the internet. Microsoft did this delibrately, knowing full well it was illegal.  Now it's five years later, and the trial is over - and MSFT should not be punished? At all? So if you do something illegal, generate massive profits from it*, and get away with it that is OK, now and forever?

Sigh.

* by using a non-standards compliant browser, they essentially forced the internet to be rewrirtten to the IE standard. They sold, literaly, billions of dollars of IIS servers, Tool sets and dev kits during this time. Billions, kids. Billions.

Firefox WAS released in 2004 and I have used it since then. I don't know what you are going on about. And don't start with the personal attacks. Be civil.

And yes I think it's fair that the Firefox movement had to work hard to get to that 32%. That's how business should be. Work hard to reap rewards. Bill Gates busted his ass and took risks (like most businessmen/women who found success) to get M$ where it is today. There is competiton. All you have to do is google firefox, go to the website and download it. If people are unaware that Firefox is out there, they are not informed enough to make a proper decision about what browser to get anyway.

I don't see an issue. If you think the M$ "monopoly" is unfair, then go around and tell everyone you know about Firefox, VLC and Linux. Even in the OS market, the Windows "monopoly" is only an issue because software developers are too lazy to make their software compatible with Linux or Mac. They are the problem. Not M$. You want change? Go tell the software developers to make their stuff compatible with Linux and Mac. If there is enough demand, they'll do it.