By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The thing that pisses me off the most about game pirates...

--OkeyDokey-- said:
I had a chipped PSone and I used to buy pirated games from a friend's dad for a few bucks each. I had hundreds of them. To be fair, I was young and didn't have a job.

Now that I have my own money I never pirate games. But I still can't bring myself to pay for music :(

Oh, stealing music is fine.  Nothing wrong with stealing that!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
I had a chipped PSone and I used to buy pirated games from a friend's dad for a few bucks each. I had hundreds of them. To be fair, I was young and didn't have a job.

Now that I have my own money I never pirate games. But I still can't bring myself to pay for music :(

Oh, stealing music is fine.  Nothing wrong with stealing that!

Well, you're a cop so I'll trust you on this. My conscience will remain unscathed!

d21lewis said:
vlad321 said:

I'm sorry. Pirates don't get any money for their games. Used game people do. You sell your game, the money you made off that sale belongs to the dev, not to you. At least pirates don't profit on other's back. Used gamers are FAR more ignorant, selfish, close-minded (LAWL at calling pirates close-minded, seriously?) and refuse to believe what they are doing.

I guess YOU aren't worht my time, you are just a two-faced hypocrite.

Why I'm even getting involved in this is a mystery to me but dude:  You do profit.  You gain a $60 game for free.  I have to come up with $60!  Even though the used game company is making money selling a used game, they're running a legitimate business.  And even if they weren't, how does it make it okay for you to steal because they sell something?

I wouldn't waste your time.  He refuses to actually listen to any points and any time someone starts making any kind of sense, he pulls dumb-shit arguments like that.

If he can't even realize something as basic as he's stealing games without comparing them to second hand market that's legal everywhere then like I said, he not worth my time and I doubt he's worth anyone elses.

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Good ot hear you stopped pirating (games)!

I know I have a harsh view on pirates but I don't have any problem with people that use to pirate games and then finally learned they were wrong and stopped.

(and even though I don't pirate music anymore, I'm not so passionate about music pirates )

twesterm said:
d21lewis said:
vlad321 said:

I'm sorry. Pirates don't get any money for their games. Used game people do. You sell your game, the money you made off that sale belongs to the dev, not to you. At least pirates don't profit on other's back. Used gamers are FAR more ignorant, selfish, close-minded (LAWL at calling pirates close-minded, seriously?) and refuse to believe what they are doing.

Why I'm even getting involved in this is a mystery to me but dude:  You do profit.  You gain a $60 game for free.  I have to come up with $60!  Even though the used game company is making money selling a used game, they're running a legitimate business.  And even if they weren't, how does it make it okay for you to steal because they sell something?

I wouldn't waste your time.  He refuses to actually listen to any points and any time someone starts making any kind of sense, he pulls dumb-shit arguments like that.

If he can't even realize something as basic as he's stealing games without comparing them to second hand market that's legal everywhere then like I said, he not worth my time and I doubt he's worth anyone elses.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You haven't made a single point either other than being a hypocrite.

As for the profit thing, you buy the game used and sell it back used, you basically did not pay anything (maybe lost $10 bucks) but the devlopers didn't see the sale of you buying it, nor when you sold it. Pirates don't make money off anything since money hasn't been transfered for anyone they give it to.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
twesterm said:
d21lewis said:
vlad321 said:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You haven't made a single point either other than being a hypocrite.

As for the profit thing, you buy the game used and sell it back used, you basically did not pay anything (maybe lost $10 bucks) but the devlopers didn't see the sale of you buying it, nor when you sold it. Pirates don't make money off anything since money hasn't been transfered for anyone they give it to.

Hey, if you want to make a thread talking about how the second hand market is just as bad as piracy, I might bight, but that isn't what this thread is about.  As I said above, I have no intention of falling for your misdirection and steering the thread in another direction.  Go wildly wave your arms somewhere else.

You can say absolutely whatever you want about the second hand market but it does nothing to change the fact pirates are thieves, not gamers, but low-life scum.

You can try any of the typical justifications pirates use but in the end they are just justifications for you being cheap, greedy, and just wanting to play your games for free.  You can pretend you only want to demo them or you're sticking it to the man, but in reality you're just being a selfish greedy inconsiderate little snot.

So what are some of the justifications you like to use?

• I want to demo the game -- if the game has a demo, get the demo, otherwise, read a review.  You may think you're being harmless but in the end I just don't believe you that you'll buy the game if you like it and even if you do, you're still supporting piracy.
  • I won't support shady DRM's -- If you don't like what someone is doing to protect their software from people like you then just don't buy the game.
  • I wouldn't have bought the game anyways -- bullshit, if you pirate the game then you obviously have some sort of interest in it. 
  • I don't have the money -- gaming isn't a right.  If you don't have the money do what everyone else does and save.  Why are you so special that you're money is worth so much more than mine and get your games for free?  If say I can't afford a game should I be able to get it for free too?
  • I'm cheap -- Ok, I can believe that one.

Did I miss any?

Seriously, just like most any justification, that is just flawed thinking and you're only making excuses to justify your wrong doings.

darklich13 said:
What really pisses me off is the amount of money we have to pay for games because of Pirates. Imagine if new games cost $40. Think of how many more games you would buy!!

You seem to presume pirates would actually go out and buy games. I have a friend who buys pirated games for only $5.

I remember retailers selling SNES games for $70 and piracy wasn't a problem yet. So I doubt we would only be paying $40.

Boneitis said:
darklich13 said:
What really pisses me off is the amount of money we have to pay for games because of Pirates. Imagine if new games cost $40. Think of how many more games you would buy!!

You seem to presume pirates would actually go out and buy games. I have a friend who buys pirated games for only $5.

I remember retailers selling SNES games for $70 and piracy wasn't a problem yet. So I doubt we would only be paying $40.

Part of that I believe was that cartridges were just more expensive to manufacture then.  CD's are quick,easy, and cheap to produce.  You only have to write and stamp the CD, not much else.

With a cartridge you have to make the cartridge, write the board, assembled the cartridge, make the label, and apply the label.

-edit-

That said, if it weren't for piracy I don't think games would really decrease in price, I just think games would have either bigger budgets or more games would be made.

vlad321 said:
twesterm said:
d21lewis said:
vlad321 said:

Err.. Let me try to understand.

1. I Pirate: no one makes anything.

2. I buy used and sell used: The seller gets a little money back to buy more games and keeps business moving. The buyer then sells the game and get's less money back.
Though the dev's don't see anything other than possibly consumers buying new games with the money they got by selling games.

So no one at all making money is somehow greater than keeping the gaming business moving with used game sales? Yea.. it's all clear now.

bobobologna said:
dsister44 said:
coolestguyever said:
What bothers me is when they steal games from the small developers/publisher that actually NEED the money.

I don't feel as bad if someone pirates an Activision/EA game as I would if they pirated a game like InFamous or Uncharted or something.

Since when is Sony a small company?

Sucker Punch however, is small and they probably want the money they deserve.

This. I meant Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog, not Sony. If somebody pirates a game the dev isn't getting money either I would assume.