By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The thing that pisses me off the most about game pirates...

vlad321 said:
Senlis said:
Ok, if you want to argue on a morality level:

How do you justify taking a product that somebody made without paying for it. A product that the designer wants you to pay for.

Try to avoid using "I am just demo-ing it" or "Other people do it" or "Other people buy used games which is just as bad" or "It really doesn't hurt the industry". All of these are shallow answers that really doesn't answer the question. Also, try not to give off a sense of entitlement because I don't think anyone is entitled to anything somebody else makes unless they give or sell it to you, no matter how unreasonable the price or conditions of the sale. In other words, if you don't like the price or DRM, then you can go buy something else.

On a morality level, those designers shouldn't charge the amount they charge for. Then all the problem arise. The value of some games is not the same as others, yet they sell for the same exact amount. In a perfect world World of Goo would have been sold at $50 and Modern Warfare 2 at $15. Also I don't think I'm entitled to the game, but at the same time the developer of those mediocre games aren't entitled to the amount of money they ask of people. As Valve noticed, when they drop the price by 80% or so, they made 15% more money than when it was full priced.

As I said earlier, why would anyone pay for any painting as much as I would for a Picasso or a Dali?

P.S. If I haven't bought a game then that means I never finished (due to it sucking so bad) it or didn't play it for more than a week.

If the game is mediocre, then don't play it.

Around the Network
impur1ty said:
Senlis said:

How do you justify taking a product that somebody made without paying for it. A product that the designer wants you to pay for.

Try to avoid using "I am just demo-ing it" or "Other people do it" or "Other people buy used games which is just as bad" or "It really doesn't hurt the industry". All of these are shallow answers that really doesn't answer the question. Also, try not to give off a sense of entitlement because I don't think anyone is entitled to anything somebody else makes unless they give or sell it to you, no matter how unreasonable the price or conditions of the sale. In other words, if you don't like the price or DRM, then you can go buy something else.

How do you justify waking up in the morning? Not everyone thinks making digital copies of data they find on the internet for personal use is immoral. So why would they need to justify it?

I was frozen today!

Senlis said:
impur1ty said:
Senlis said:

How do you justify waking up in the morning? Not everyone thinks making digital copies of data they find on the internet for personal use is immoral. So why would they need to justify it?

I was frozen today!

lol.

well I agree that you should probably buy the games you play but sometimes piracy is the only option to play some games. I'll give two examples:

1. Ar Tonelico II: The game had a game stopping glitch during an optional boss fight. Fans begged NISA for a patched re-release but they didnt listen so someone patched it and released it as a torrent and I'm proud to say I downloaded the torrent instead.

2. FFXII: IZJS: S-E decided that no FFXII fans who couldnt understand Japanese should play it so someone recently released a patched version in english and I'm proud to say its on my current playlist (note that I do have the U.S FFXII regular and would have bought IZJS day 1 if it came stateside).

For these kinds of reasons, I cant reprimand the "piracy" scene

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I really don’t give a crap about this matter because everyone has their own damn opinion no point in discussing it.

But PC is dying slowly and let’s face it its dew to piracy.

And Modern Warfare 2 was dumb down for the pc because.... well not piracy.... oh yeah.... activision wants more of your money for less service …. Totally understandable …. I think :S
Well people bought the game so i guess its ok ! right =?

Around the Network
Senlis said:
vlad321 said:
Senlis said:

On a morality level, those designers shouldn't charge the amount they charge for. Then all the problem arise. The value of some games is not the same as others, yet they sell for the same exact amount. In a perfect world World of Goo would have been sold at $50 and Modern Warfare 2 at $15. Also I don't think I'm entitled to the game, but at the same time the developer of those mediocre games aren't entitled to the amount of money they ask of people. As Valve noticed, when they drop the price by 80% or so, they made 15% more money than when it was full priced.

As I said earlier, why would anyone pay for any painting as much as I would for a Picasso or a Dali?

P.S. If I haven't bought a game then that means I never finished (due to it sucking so bad) it or didn't play it for more than a week.

If the game is mediocre, then don't play it.

I don't! As far as I can see if it's so shitty I can't even finish it, then I haven't played it.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

CommonMan said:
I personally don't like the whole "the world owes me somthing" attitude in general. Nope, world owes you nothing. Pay for what you get, it's how the world works.

The arrogant snickering that they are getting away with something, combined with the condeming looking down at you look they have when you don't pirate is what annoys me most about pirates.  It is the attitude like someone posted on here, "Doesn't everyone shoplift from Walmart"?  It is like, "Dude, I seriously question your tastes if you feel the need to shoplift from Walmart".

Here is another video that some of the people here remind me of.  I can imagine them doing this to their computer upon reading the post.

I don't get the morality issue whenever you pirate something you'd never buy otherwise, no matter the reason.

I mean, how can it be morally wrong to get for free something someone else did and wants money from when it's actually doing them absolutely no harm? It's more like the other way around, actually, if you ask me. See, you make a game. Now there's this guy who's never gonna buy your game, but he does want to play it and has the means to do so, without doing you or your product no harm. Would you really deny it? Why? How can that be moral?

Hell, we are talking about a business already, bringing morality to the table makes no sense to begin with.

This has gotten boring. Time to put the nail in the coffin and shut up all those anti-piracy people:

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-research-p2p-filesharing-no-barrier-to-music-sales/

Not exactly video games, but it seems to me that VG pirates would almost assuredly be the Music Pirates with similar tendencies.

I win, y'all lose.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835