By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

He knows that OoT is the best selling, but he blames that on it getting a boost from being 3D. I don't agree with that "boost" idea at all, there are plenty of successful 2D franchises that got no boost in the move to 3D (Mario, for example..).

However I do think OoT benefited from it's time (it was revolutionary, one of the first 3D 'epics') as well as entering a warm market unlike the original Zelda. Modern Zelda doesn't quite stand out in the way OoT did. Zelda could be spun off into two series, one with the current values and one with the original, more arcade values. The only question is, which gets to keep the name "Zelda"?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
He knows that OoT is the best selling, but he blames that on it getting a boost from being 3D. I don't agree with that "boost" idea at all, there are plenty of successful 2D franchises that got no boost in the move to 3D (Mario, for example..).

However I do think OoT benefited from it's time (it was revolutionary, one of the first 3D 'epics') as well as entering a warm market unlike the original Zelda. Modern Zelda doesn't quite stand out in the way OoT did. Zelda could be spun off into two series, one with the current values and one with the original, more arcade values. The only question is, which gets to keep the name "Zelda"?

I went and found it.  What he actually said was, "Zelda games sales kept increasing up to Ocarina of Time."  This is factually incorrect.  It is actually the opposite that is true.  Sales kept decreasing up to Ocarina of Time.

Maybe that is why he wants a return to the old style Zelda.  He just has his facts wrong.  Either that or it is his (nearly) blind love for all things retro.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Malstrom shares my disdain for the Zelda's current offerings and with that said and Aonuma so convinced of his 'genius', I am sure that Zelda Wii (given it's present course) will do nothing to evolve the series but to substain it's present course of mediocrity.

Hopefully Miyamoto-san will swoop in and deliver us the Zelda game worthy of the Wii and Motion plus.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

New REGINLEIV trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcG150evp1s&feature=player_embedded

Note the wi-fi logo.

With all the blood, I can’t see this selling at all in Japan. I don’t know any more about the game with this trailer than I did without it!

The idea of carving up giant ogres with the Wii-mote is certainly more interesting than carving up watermelons in Speed Slice in Wii Sports Resort. But for all we know, they may end up being more similar than not.

You think Zelda could ever have such action? No. What would happen is that Link would get into a “conversation” with the big evil ogres. The big evil ogres would make some ‘cute jokes’. And then Link would have to solve a puzzle to get past the ogres.

The holidays are giving people too much time on their hands. They are all deciding to email me. I have enough emails to last into next year. The more emails I answer, the more they come.

Unreal 3 Engine on iPhone

Well, look at this!

Amazing how Epic has the tenacity to put Unreal Engine 3 onto a cell phone but not the tenacity to put it out for the best selling console.

We all know why this is occurring. Epic is joined to the hip with Microsoft and there has been much effort by Microsoft to split third parties away from Nintendo. Madden could have even become a Microsoft exclusive console game if the NFL contract didn’t demand the game for all consoles. Back then, PS2 couldn’t be ignored by third parties due to its huge install base. PS3 also cannot be ignored because games cost too much to put them all on one console. Not even Microsoft has enough money to make make exclusive third party HD games.

People are going to be taking away the wrong message from this post. This isn’t about Nintendo in and of itself. This is about the “Industry” being a fraud. Instead of journalists researching and telling us why Epic was acting the way it was, why Mark Rein was saying crazy things that company presidents are not supposed to say, the game journalists just act like willing sternographers and jot down their marketing points with no questions asked. What we get as ‘news’ is marketing points such as “UE 3 cannot run on anything less than the powerful 360 and PS3″ to “Core Gaming is in good health even though its companies face financial disaster” to “Nintendo needs to do more for third parties.”

Console agnostic my ass. Gaming does not revolve around third parties as has been the conventional wisdom since, at least, the PlayStation 1. Gaming revolves around the customers.

This generation shows just who is the boss of gaming. Sony is not the boss. Microsoft is not the boss. Nintendo is not the boss. Third parties are not the boss. Who is the boss? I am the boss. And you, the reader, and all other customers and non-customers are the bosses of gaming. We decide which games live and die, which consoles sell and which ones do not.

Journalists should remember that customers (and non-customers) are the true boss. Instead of playing Console Opera with “Console War” and “Third Party Flings and Romances” by inciting conflict, they should remember that customers (and non-customers) are the true boss of even the journalists even if they don’t get their money from us.

This generation is revealing what a giant fraud the “Game Industry” is.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Aonuma's Link = pussy
Miyamoto's Link = BAMF

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Around the Network

..........so the iphone...a GOD DAMN CELL PHONE, gets UE3 while the Wii the most succesful console this generation is mocked and ignored...

wow. just wow.

Bobbuffalo said:
..........so the iphone...a GOD DAMN CELL PHONE, gets UE3 while the Wii the most succesful console this generation is mocked and ignored...

wow. just wow.

And Capcom is porting their HD engine to the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I missed that news Lordykeiraknightly.

Hurrah?

Some good articles I think. Nicely collected.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Malstrom is overrated. Why do I say this? Because he (intentionally) deals with contrary views to the Blue Ocean Strategy by mocking them... While I do find it very entertaining and while I do agree that he is right with a lot of things, I also think that he is biased in a way that he does not accept anything which is not BOS.

My question is: has anyone here actually read the book by Chan/Mauborgnee?

I am asking this, because I am wondering if all the people blindly trust his comments without checkim for themselves. Instead of listening to the IGN podcas, he recommends his readers to just read his (in my opinion exaggerated) summary. What kind of advice is that? People should always make their minds based on first-hand information.

It is not that I don't agree with the BOS or what he writes (in general), it is just that I would like to say that he should not be taken as the "Prophet" of the new and infallible business model. What he says (as a private person like you and me) should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sommernacht said:

Malstrom is overrated. Why do I say this? Because he (intentionally) deals with contrary views to the Blue Ocean Strategy by mocking them... While I do find it very entertaining and while I do agree that he is right with a lot of things, I also think that he is biased in a way that he does not accept anything which is not BOS.

My question is: has anyone here actually read the book by Chan/Mauborgnee?

I am asking this, because I am wondering if all the people blindly trust his comments without checkim for themselves. Instead of listening to the IGN podcas, he recommends his readers to just read his (in my opinion exaggerated) summary. What kind of advice is that? People should always make their minds based on first-hand information.

It is not that I don't agree with the BOS or what he writes (in general), it is just that I would like to say that he should not be taken as the "Prophet" of the new and infallible business model. What he says (as a private person like you and me) should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think if you read through this thread, many of the responses show that the people here do not blindly follow what he says, but take it into consideration.

Similarly the thread which dealt with the IGN podcast many or the responders listened to the show, and found what he summarized was not far from the truth.

I think its important to note though that although many of his responses are mockery and he can be wrong, he leaves his articles up, unedited so that all his mistakes are available and can be referenced. But similarly you need to give him credit when is correct.

Personally I think he provides an excellent alternate view of gaming which we don't see elsewhere.