By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

^There was a significant absence, note the announcement of vitality minus any software, and the lack of Motion plus games as two indications of such an absence

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

"There should be a significant absence of games if he was correct. I don't see that."

The UGC thing was last year, not this year. Expecting present tense effects shows you forget when this happened.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Are you suggesting that all the software developed for the vitality sensor was UGC, which they decided was bad and awful the day before the presentation? That seems extremely unlikely, given the nature of the device. A heartrate sensor is hardly the ideal input device for allowing users to create content.

Email: Metroid Other M looks like Metal Gear Solid

Look at it…the radar, the overhead/3rd person view, switching into first person, hanging off edges, the obvious emphasis on cutscenes and a doubtlessly ridiculous plot.  I know you haven’t played Metal Gear Solid much if at all, but Sakamoto clearly has.

I’m calling this game Metroid Prime Solid from now on.
Perhaps the name of Metroid Ninja Solid? What is funny is that Other M is turning out to be the nightmare that consumers thought Metroid Prime was going to become with Retro.

“That is because you cannot understand Sakamoto’s vision, Malstrom.”

Trollops! Sakamoto’s vision doesn’t matter. You know whose vision of Metroid matters? It is Malstrom’s vision. Nintendo has wondered how gamers enter the mode of disinterest. You are clearly looking at it occurring in real time. I’ve bought all the Metroid games as far back as the NES one when it came out. I am not buying Other M. And there are countless other “Metroid fans” who aren’t buying the game either.

When Other M doesn’t sell, people are going to be pointing at someone to blame. They will say, “There is too much Metroid on Wii.” They will say, “Releasing the game in the summer wasn’t a great idea.” They will say, “Tecmo is to be blamed.” But the blame belongs squarely to Sakamoto and his crazy “visions”.

There are those who will say, “Malstrom doesn’t like Metroid changing.” From my vantage point, Other M and its ‘visions’ is the most boring and generic thing I have ever seen. If Other M didn’t have the Metroid name and came out on a HD console, it would have immediately been labeled ‘generic’ and forgotten about.

Metroid is about killing metroids, not about the personality of a stereotypical ’strong woman’ (with big breasts). At this point, I’m wondering whether the Metroid levels in Subspace Emissary in Brawl are going to be a better Metroid experience than Other M.

Now we know why Giant World wasn’t in Mario 5

It is because Mario Galaxy Expansion Pack stole it.

For Mario 5, what we got instead was a generic mountain level or a generic ice level or something else like that. In my Parody section (which only has two posts), Parody #2 is about how 3d Mario and 2d Mario co-exists. They co-exist by having 2d Mario delayed for eighteen years and when it finally appears, the game and its consumers are treated like second class customers. The 3d Mario gets the big budget, it gets the orchestra, it gets the graphical bells and whistles, and it gets to be delayed so “it can be perfect” (both Galaxy and Galaxy Expansion Pack were delayed). And it even gets all the cool 2d Mario worlds like Giant World. What’s next? Bringing back the Tanooki Suit in 3d Mario while giving 2d Mario something lame like a propeller suit?

Giant World in 3d Mario doesn’t make sense anyway. You can easily walk around the giant creatures. In 2d Mario, Giant World changes the gameplay in that Mario has to make higher jumps to jump on a goomba or jump on a block. A giant koopa troopa in 2d Mario takes up almost a quarter of the screen. But a giant koopa troopa in 3d Mario can easily be sidestepped.

Everyone has asked for over fifteen years, “Why does Nintendo not put out what we want? Why is there no Mario 5? Why did they take out the Tanooki Suit? Where is Giant World?”

Nintendo knows what you want. Miyamoto knows what you want. But they have stated they don’t want to do it. It is no other way to explain why there has been no true sequel to Super Mario World for eighteen years. You would think that with the N64 and especially after Sunshine, Nintendo would realize the failure of 3d Mario. But no, Nintendo’s software developers are interested in only what they want to do. Don’t like the art style of Wind Waker? Too bad. They’ll just use the art style in the handheld Zelda games. Wondering where Giant World went to in Mario 5? That is because it was put in Galaxy Expansion Pack. 3d Mario still gets priority over 2d Mario despite how much the market prefers 2d Mario.

Why? It is because Nintendo software developers believe they are creative masterminds (despite not having made anything ‘creative’ in terms of an imaginary universe since the 1980s). This is why we are getting titles like ‘Other M’. If you do not like ‘Other M’, then you do not understand the genius of Sakamoto!

Remember, when Miyamoto says 2d Mario and 3d Mario co-existing, he means 2d Mario being delayed for decades while giving ridiculous budgets of full scale orchestras to 3d Mario. And when 2d Mario re-appears, the only advantage it has over 3d Mario is that it is wrapped in red plastic. Whopee. I waited 18 years for this?

Email: What is wrong with Super Gamecube games?

In one of your latest post you brought up the thesis, that Nintendo is dumping their “Super Gamecube” games, to get finally started making games, that use motion controls.

While I absolutely agree, that we need more than just WiiSports and WiiSports Resort to be games, which actually make proper use of the WiiRemote, I cannot agree with you on these “Super Gamecube” games.

I know, they do not push hardware sales. But I just don’t care. I am a customer, not a business person at Nintendo. I love Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., Metroid Prime and Super mario Galaxy (even though I grew up with 2D mario, prefer the 2D games over 64 and Sunshine anytime, and see Super mario Bros. 5 (as you call it) as a true sequel to Super Mario World). I do love WiiSports as well, don’t have WiiFit and hate WiiPlay (seriously, it’s just bad versions of Atari games, which make you wish you were playing actual Atari games. OK, except for the billiard game, that was actually good).

I would be sad, if any of these was missing, I love both Nintendo’s old games, as well as Nintendo’s new games. Wouldn’t abandoning “Super Gamecube” games, only because they do not use the console’s capabilities, be just like what happened to 2D games on 3D consoles?

Why should Nintendo get rid of “Super Gamecube” games? I can imagine how one can add Motion controls to a game like Zelda, but adding Motion controls to Fire Emblem? It’s a turn-based tactical RPG; motion controls would be like “epic” cutscenes for every level in a Mario game. What about Metroid? You seem to like the old Matroid games? How could you make suck kind of games, without having the be “Super Gamecube”, or rather “Super NES” games?

Maybe I did not understand, what you were trying to say, so please explain your opinion on this topic.

PS: I did not include Zelda in my list of games, I like, since the Zelda games are in serious decline and I have completely lost interest. And that’s quite an accomplishment, considering that Zelda: Link’s Awakening was the very first game, that really blew me away (and the fourth game I played in my life)

3d games are inherently broken because they use a 2d interface. Motion controls are finally completing 3d games by matching the 3d game with a 3d interface.

Gaming has been using two analog sticks to simulate a 3d interface (such as in a FPS where one analog stick moves while the other analog stick looks around). It is now time for the real thing.

People shouldn’t be scared. With a proper 3d interface, you won’t want to go back to a 2d interface or a quasi-3d interface. The old tennis and golf games now seem absurd now that we have a real 3d interface for those games. For example, a Zelda with motion plus could equal a true 3d Zelda.

But another problem with Super Gamecube games is that you already have them. With Galaxy Expansion Pack, you are now getting sequels to Super Gamecube games. The problem is that they are not Wii games. And they are not doing the Wii any good. It would be as if Nintendo continued to make 8-bit games on the Super Nintendo.

The reason why Motion control games are getting such flack from Core gamers is because there are no well made Motion Control Core games especially from Nintendo. Once they start appearing, you won’t want to go back.

I also believe that the Super Gamecube games is the reason why ‘lack of HD’ keeps getting thrown at the Wii. If these games were using the Wii properly, people wouldn’t be complaining about ‘lack of HD’ on Wii but would be complaining about ‘lack of motion control’ on the other systems.

Remember, the Wii was resisted from many people inside Nintendo. Nintendo has a serious problem about their software developers making games they want and putting their own eccentricity in games. This is why we are getting bizarre titles like Other M and Spirit Tracks.

Third party developers don’t want to work with motion controls, so why are we surprised that Nintendo developers don’t either? It is much, much harder to make a game with motion controls than with the standard 2d interface. So far, good motion control games have only been very simple games like Wii Sports. But as soon as someone makes something more intricate, it is going to cause a sensation. Imagine a meaty game like WoW with some basic motion controls. And I do not mean motion controls as replacing a button but in re-engineering the gameplay.

Wii Sports was a thrilling game despite how the gameplay was as basic as PONG. Now imagine if it had the gameplay of something meatier. We could be witnessing another entertainment phenomenon.

The bottom line is this: Super Gamecube games no longer create entertainment phenomenons (if they ever did). A motion control core game has the potential to create an entertainment phenomenon. If Nintendo wants the Wii to remain relevant, it is time to transition the Core games to the values of the Wii or risk their competitors doing it first (which they are on the edge of doing).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Is it just me, or is he whining about the lack of (hard)core games on the Wii here? 

The reason why Motion control games are getting such flack from Core gamers is because there are no well made Motion Control Core games especially from Nintendo. Once they start appearing, you won’t want to go back.

A motion control core game has the potential to create an entertainment phenomenon. If Nintendo wants the Wii to remain relevant, it is time to transition the Core games to the values of the Wii or risk their competitors doing it first (which they are on the edge of doing).

An older post of his came to mind immediately.

What really annoys me about the ‘hardcore’ gamer is that while they whine there aren’t enough ‘hardcore’ games for the Wii, they have two other consoles that are completely DEDICATED to Core Gaming. Apparently, it is not good enough to have TWO and a HALF consoles dedicated to Core Gaming, no, all THREE must be dedicated to Almighty Hardcore Gaming!

That's weird.  I thought he was content with the other two consoles taking care of those types of games.  Bringing that stuff to the Wii really isn't necessary.

Around the Network

He is bi polar I guess. I see nothing wrong with these "Super Gamecube games" myself. They are still fun and they still make Ninty money. More motion controls in "SOME" of the games would be nice though.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"There should be a significant absence of games if he was correct. I don't see that."

The UGC thing was last year, not this year. Expecting present tense effects shows you forget when this happened.

Then where was the absence last year?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Games4Fun said:
He is bi polar I guess. I see nothing wrong with these "Super Gamecube games" myself. They are still fun and they still make Ninty money. More motion controls in "SOME" of the games would be nice though.

They don't do anything to expand the market, GCN didn't exactly light up sales

@theRepublic

yes there was, did you not notice the lack of new first party games last year

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I can understand his theory on Super Gamecube games. I think that they are necessary though or else there would be gaming droughts or some users who have become accustomed to those games won't be serviced. A game like Wii Sports Resort or NSMB can take over the holidays, and carry momentum into the next year, but I'm not sure you can have too many of them before they overlap. Nintendo seems to be doing a good job of preventing that though.

IDK, if what he is saying is right, Zelda Wii should be ACE.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Wii

Endless Ocean
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Fit
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
Wii Music
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Disaster: Day of Crisis (Japan, Europe and Australia only)
Mario Super Sluggers (Japan and North America only)
Everyone's Common Knowledge Television (Japan only)
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen (Japan only)
Captain Rainbow (Japan only)
Wii Chess (Retail release in Europe only, WiiWare release in Japan)

New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
New Play Control! Pikmin
New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Punch-Out!!
Wii Sports Resort
Metroid Prime: Trilogy
Wii Fit Plus
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (Japan, Europe and Australia only, North America relase 2010)
Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories (Japan and Europe only)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Published by Nintendo in Japan only)
Excitebots: Trick Racing (North America only)
Tact of Magic (Japan Only)
New Play Control! Metroid Prime (Japan Only)
New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Japan Only)
New Play Control! Chibi-Robo! (Japan Only)
Everyone's the Star on the NHK Red-and-White Quiz Battle (Japan Only)
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu no Daibouken (Japan Only)

WiiWare

Dr. Mario Online Rx
My Pokémon Ranch
Magnetica Twist
Art Style: ORBIENT
Art Style: CUBELLO
Art Style: ROTOHEX
MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade
Tsuushin Taikyoku: Igo Dojo 2700-Mon (Japan Only)
Wii Chess (Japan Only)
Tsuushin Taikyoku: Hayazashi Shogi Sandan (Japan Only)
Yakuman Wii (Japan Only)

Lonpos
Bonsai Barber
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Kimi to Boku to Rittai (Japan Only)
Asobu Made in Wario (Japan Only)
Exitebike World Rally
Pokémon Rumble

DS

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
Crosswords DS
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Published by Sega outside Japan)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Published by Nintendo outside of Japan)
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir
Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat?
KORG DS-10 Synthesizer (Europe & Australia Only)
100 Classic Book Collection
Make 10: A Journey of Numbers (Europe, Australia & Japan Only)
Soma Bringer (Japan Only)
Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Japan Only)

Professor Kageyama's Maths Training: The Hundred Cell Calculation Method
Game & Watch Collection
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Pokémon Platinum
Rhythm Heaven
Personal Trainer: Walking
The Legendary Starfy
Fossil Fighters
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (Published by Nintendo outside of Japan)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Style Savvy
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
DS Uranai Sekaitsu (Japan Only)
Tomodachi Collection (Japan Only)
Irozuki Tingle no Koi no Balloon Trip (Japan Only)
Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji! (Japan Only)

DSiWare

Art Style: AQUIA
Art Style: BOXLIFE
Art Style: BASE 10
Art Style: ZENGAGE
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
Art Style: Kunos
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again
Birds and Beans
WarioWare: Snapped!
Brain Age Express: Math
Brain Age Express: Arts and Letters
Brain Age Express: Sudoku
Photo Clock
Mario Calculator
Mario Clock
Paper Airplane Chase
Nintendo DSi Browser
Dr. Mario Express
Animal Crossing Clock
Animal Crossing Calculator
Clubhouse Games Express: Card Classics
Clubhouse Games Express: Family Favorites
Clubhouse Games Express: Strategy Pack
Master of Illusion Express: Deep Psyche
Master of Illusion Express: Funny Face
Master of Illusion Express: Shuffle Games
Flipnote Studio
20 Classic Book Collection DSi (Japan Only)
Too Much Tingle Pack (Japan Only)
Card Hero Speed Battle Custom (Japan Only)

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)