By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

And their little hearts are going to break…

Above: Not Super Metroid

Here is the blurb for Metroid: Other M:

“Metroid™: Other M, the incredible new Metroid game developed for Wii through a collaboration by Nintendo and the world-renowned Team Ninja, launches June 27. The game looks at the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran’s past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote™ controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.”

Above: Is this Metroid Prime? No, that would be the true 3d Metroid game.

However, when a Metroid fan reads the blurb, they do not read the blurb. Instead, from the same exact words above, they read something entirely different. They read the following (bold are words that are added):

“Metroid™: Other M, the incredible new Metroid game developed for Wii through a collaboration by Nintendo and the world-renowned Team Ninja, launches June 27. The game looks at the will be just like the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of exactly like the 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station of a 2d Metroid not reminiscent of Metroid Fusion and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran’s past Super Metroid type experience. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote™ controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.”

Above: Other M is just like Super Metroid. We all know that there were marines everywhere and would talk to you in Super Metroid.

I don’t think people have realized just how Sakamoto has driven 2d Metroid into the ground. Metroid fans actually do think Other M is going to be a successor to Super Metroid.

Metroid: Other M will be the successor to Super Metroid in the same way how Super Paper Mario was the successor to Super Mario World. In other words, not a successor at all.

But perhaps I should not say anything. There are people out there who really do believe Sakamoto is a walking and talking god and even Sakamoto saying Other M will not be anything like Super Metroid will still not deter them.

Cinematic and 2d Metroid can not go together. Imagine a cinematic 2d Mario. While the reception to Other M is going to be amusing to me, I just hope it doesn’t destroy the Metroid franchise along with it.

Above: Hey! Remember him?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

"Reeling from the disaster that was User Generated Content, Nintendo has lost valuable time and its competitors are anxious to take advantage of Nintendo not pursuing motion control software with their own motion controls. Nintendo’s competitors are aiming at the ‘immersion’ or Core side of gaming with their motion controls (well, maybe not Natal, but no one knows WTF is going on with Natal). Sensing this hole, Nintendo is now furiously pushing Motion Plus and making Motion Plus software. The non-Motion Plus software (i.e. the old Core games) are being pushed out in the summer so Nintendo can focus on the new core. If Nintendo does not plug in the gaping hole of the lack of motion control games, Nintendo’s competitors have an opportunity to escape their shrinking Core Market box. Nintendo’s success in this endeavor will make or break their disruption."

Wow...it makes sense! why release those games BEFORE xmas and E3?!

hmmmm...

Bobbuffalo said:
"Reeling from the disaster that was User Generated Content, Nintendo has lost valuable time and its competitors are anxious to take advantage of Nintendo not pursuing motion control software with their own motion controls. Nintendo’s competitors are aiming at the ‘immersion’ or Core side of gaming with their motion controls (well, maybe not Natal, but no one knows WTF is going on with Natal). Sensing this hole, Nintendo is now furiously pushing Motion Plus and making Motion Plus software. The non-Motion Plus software (i.e. the old Core games) are being pushed out in the summer so Nintendo can focus on the new core. If Nintendo does not plug in the gaping hole of the lack of motion control games, Nintendo’s competitors have an opportunity to escape their shrinking Core Market box. Nintendo’s success in this endeavor will make or break their disruption."

Wow...it makes sense! why release those games BEFORE xmas and E3?!

hmmmm...<_<

Yes, it makes a lot of sense. If this is true, E3 will be focused on Motion+ games. We already know about Zelda but what else? Dynamic Slash will be announced at E3? Probably but what else....

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Its pretty clear that the three "core" games are being rushed out the door as fast as Nintendo can get them out, they aren't Nintendo's future, as they are not evergreens nor are they market expanders, and in fact compared to 2D titles like NSMB Wii, they are a waste of resources.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I'm still not buying the whole UGC thing.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Its pretty clear that the three "core" games are being rushed out the door as fast as Nintendo can get them out, they aren't Nintendo's future, as they are not evergreens nor are they market expanders, and in fact compared to 2D titles like NSMB Wii, they are a waste of resources.

Well, I for one am glad Nintendo keeps wasting resources on games like Galaxy 2 and Other M. It makes the Wii, y'know, worth owning.

"And their little hearts are going to break…"

So this will be one of the few times I will have to disagree with him.

1 I highly doubt anyone who has been paying attention thinks this will be Super Metriod.

2 I suppose their are some who are in the Sakamoto Game God way of thinking, but not everyone.

3 I dunno what he is thinking on this really. I will agree that I do not want lots of story other than that meh.

Didn't he have another blog on this too? Some of it might be right, but come on its Metriod if all the elements are there,and they seem to be, it should turn out to be fun new game.

theRepublic said:

Why not?

theRepublic said:

Have you seen Reggie's interview about UGC? And let us remember that was one important topic at E3 2008.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Avinash_Tyagi said:
theRepublic said:

Why not?

There should be a significant absence of games if he was correct.  I don't see that.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)