By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mummelmann said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"I can't believe they implemented a mechanic for drinking orange juice."

That, and the teeth brushing, are like something from WarioWare, only that's a spoof.

"(hint; tutorials are usually very, very boring)"

Hint: That's not a good thing, since that's the first impression when it comes to gameplay.

I've played plenty of good games with boring tutorials. But, you see, I play the actual game as well before I make up my mind, which is obviously above the hallowed and revered Malstrom. Seriously, how has he gathered such a large following being such an ass to every single thing that doesn't match his preference? He wants everyone to love the same things as him and those who don't are morons or fanboys. He's acting like some of our 12-13 year old members defending to the death their favorite games simply out of some bewildered sense of duty with little to no actual substance in the arguments themselves.

I don't know about you, but I don't get insulted when someone makes fun of something I like. And, out of interest, where did he call anyone a moron or a fanboy for liking Heavy Rain? It's one thing to get hurt over someone insulting a thing you like, it's another to claim he's calling you a moron or a fanboy. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will like the game, but Sony have called it their "most important game for 09" (back when it was due for 09), so clearly this is what they think will sell big. Hence making fun.

@Torillian, he criticizes Zelda for that all the time, much of his angry mail is from defensive Nintendo fans over his criticisms of Zelda.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

Demotruk; my points do not pertain specifically to this article, I've read most of them and he makes it abundantly clear that those who disagree with his views (especially "hardcore" gamers) are a waste of oxygen.
I'm not personally offended by anything Malstrom says, I don't feel like the retarded troll I should be for not liking the same things as him but I am taken aback by the constant doting on a person who writes like this and has such an elitist, prejudiced and generalized attitude towards large groups of people and is in love with himself and his writings.
He was at least somewhat interesting a couple of years ago, if for nothing else than news value but the only thing here that is a parody of itself is Malstrom imo.

You know, regarding adventure games... I've always loved adventure games, and maybe I'd love Heavy Rain.

Hell, I loved (and continue to love) text adventures, like the old Infocom games, and more recent amateur releases with the annual Interactive Fiction awards (Adam Cadre's Photopia is a jewel, for instance, as is Andrew Plotkin's Hunter In Darkness).

But for the life of me, I can't remember one of those games forcing the player to do such mundane tasks as brushing teeth, using the toilet, etc.

Without taking some time to actually play Heavy Rain, it's hard to know whether that stuff's in there for good purpose... maybe it is? But I'd be disappointed if it was there *just* as a gameplay tutorial. I mean, tutorials can be more interesting than "the morning routine," I think.

donathos said:
You know, regarding adventure games... I've always loved adventure games, and maybe I'd love Heavy Rain.

Hell, I loved (and continue to love) text adventures, like the old Infocom games, and more recent amateur releases with the annual Interactive Fiction awards (Adam Cadre's Photopia is a jewel, for instance, as is Andrew Plotkin's Hunter In Darkness).

But for the life of me, I can't remember one of those games forcing the player to do such mundane tasks as brushing teeth, using the toilet, etc.

Without taking some time to actually play Heavy Rain, it's hard to know whether that stuff's in there for good purpose... maybe it is? But I'd be disappointed if it was there *just* as a gameplay tutorial. I mean, tutorials can be more interesting than "the morning routine," I think.

I'm going to make a guess (which I normally don't like to do) on why they took this approach.

To set the scene, I'm assuming:

1 - they want you to have settled into your character and in a sense 'feel' like your character before the shit hits the fan with the core narrative

2 - they want you to have invested in your family (wife and kids) before the shit hits the fan

3 - they didn't want to use any cutscenes, etc. to do this as its not interactive - i.e. cover setup passively then give you control when the shit hits the fan

4 - they wanted tutorials that were part of the game for basic interaction, etc.

So, you go through (interactively) a normal realistic set of tasks for your character starting the day.  This isn't fantasy or anything at this point, you're just a guy getting up, getting ready for the day, playing with your kids, etc.

Then, if they've timed it well, they pull the rug out from under you (I'm pretty sure I know how although I've avoided reading anything, but the clues are there in a few trailers I've seen).

This won't be for everyone, but to make a comparison, you're not a space marine waking up in a jail getting busted out in the middle of an hostile attack by aliens (to look at Gears nicely traditional opening for an actioner).  You're a normal guy in a normal house - what else would you be doing?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
donathos said:

I'm going to make a guess (which I normally don't like to do) on why they took this approach.

To set the scene, I'm assuming:

1 - they want you to have settled into your character and in a sense 'feel' like your character before the shit hits the fan with the core narrative

2 - they want you to have invested in your family (wife and kids) before the shit hits the fan

3 - they didn't want to use any cutscenes, etc. to do this as its not interactive - i.e. cover setup passively then give you control when the shit hits the fan

4 - they wanted tutorials that were part of the game for basic interaction, etc.

So, you go through (interactively) a normal realistic set of tasks for your character starting the day.  This isn't fantasy or anything at this point, you're just a guy getting up, getting ready for the day, playing with your kids, etc.

Then, if they've timed it well, they pull the rug out from under you (I'm pretty sure I know how although I've avoided reading anything, but the clues are there in a few trailers I've seen).

This won't be for everyone, but to make a comparison, you're not a space marine waking up in a jail getting busted out in the middle of an hostile attack by aliens (to look at Gears nicely traditional opening for an actioner).  You're a normal guy in a normal house - what else would you be doing?

Well I didn't feel for the character, or the family. Not just because I didn't play it, but because we only got some mentions that the guy even had a family, in some of the most flat writing and voice acting I've heard. Not bad, just flat.

And a tutorial being unindicative of the rest of the game isn't anything new either.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

The Gaming Renaissance

It is not enough to have the perverted Industry collapse or shrink. We need to create a new industry, or rather ‘movement’, to replace it.

Most of my “gaming side time” is not based on reading game websites and all. Yuck. Who wants to read the Industry Propaganda? Anyways, most of my “gaming side time” is spent in the ‘modding sphere’. I am fascinated at high school kids and college kids working and making some truly interesting stuff in some games. What is most interesting is that these kids are not from Japan, America, or western Europe. They are from eastern Europe, from Russia, and even from South America. Why are they modding? There are not many game available in their area. And taxation is so high, it is impossible for these kids to buy new games or even new consoles. This is why they huddle around PC gaming so much. It is also why they mod games because they have no other place to go.

Remember, the first game makers had to make games because there were none that existed. I believe a big reason why there isn’t that gamer-as-developer community today as there used to be in the early 80s is because there are so many games out today (as well as these games being millions and millions of dollars which is something a kid in a garage cannot do by himself). So instead of becoming a “game developer”, the gamer would just buy a new game once he is bored with the old one. In the old days, if the gamer was bored with games he had to make the one to entertain him.

Computers were also “more fun” back then. It was considered normal to tinker with them. In fact, that is why people bought a computer back then! Today, many young people buy a computer only to lose themselves in some digital realm.

The computer is a very, very powerful asset. But the computer can also be a very, very powerful liability. The computer can literally drain years of your life away on nonsense. Just ask a ‘hardcore gamer’ of World of Warcraft. They are shocked at how much life they wasted in that game. So computers can be used either way.

Anyway, it is fun to watch these kids from many non-English speaking countries tinker and make their little games. Fascinatingly, these ‘baby developers’ are not much different from ‘professional developers’ in terms of personality and behavior. So the reason why you see me make posts about development is often a pattern I am spotting from these kids that I also see in the “professional games”.

It is also why I am a broken record on putting the customer on the pedestal. Too often, I am seeing people make games because of their “vision” and when customers (or in these kids’ case, other gamers) do not behave with great rejoicing like peasants welcoming in Pharaoh, the ‘kid developers’ get angry and even depressed.

What I find fascinating is not the kids’ technical know-how. It is quite true they are good at programming and doing graphic art. But what is fascinating is even though they are refined on that end, they are raw on the emotional end. The idea that the player is the central axis the game revolves around hasn’t yet sunk in. And seeing ‘professional game developers’ out there, it may never sink in!

This is why I defined a game’s “content” as the interesting choices the player has. I want the focus to be on the player. There is too much focus on the art assets, sounds assets, the terrain, and on and on. One thing I keep seeing are games that are ‘lopsided’. Meaning, the game might have excellent terrain, but it is poor everywhere else. The game might have excellent programming and scripting, but boy that art is atrocious. Or it may have excellent ingredients all around, but the game becomes repetitive very fast. It is repetitive because the team (these kids have their own teams! haha Not as much ‘lone wolves’ going on here) kept building more and more assets stacked on top of what they had. Or to use an analogy, if NSMB Wii had sixteen worlds instead of nine, would it have increased the content of the game? Not exactly. As soon as the game becomes repetitive, it ceases to be interesting. And a game’s content is the interesting choices the player has. Repetitiveness is the big enemy. No, what increased NSMB Wii’s content (and its value) a thousand-fold was the multiplayer. Now, the player has many more interesting ways to play the game. So content shouldn’t be seen as the amount of game assets but in the amount of interesting roads the player can take. The key word is interesting. If you are just putting in roads that are not interesting, the BIG ENEMY of repetitiveness comes up.

The reason why I am critical of say Miyamoto is not to be critical but to remove the notion of “Game God” and put the focus back on the customer. Kids are growing up and rushing to be part of the “Game Industry” because they have a ‘vision’ and think they are the next ‘Miyamoto’ and truly believe that their game is going to have people build them golden statues. The only person who should feel he is a “Game God” should be the customer. When the customer says, “I feel like a Game God!” is when you have a great game.

The other reason why I like the old modding circles is because it dissolves the line between gamer and developer as it used to be. In the old days, game makers were no different than the average gamer. Today, due to the ‘Industry’, there is not only a big frickin wall between the developer and the gamer, the developer is only allowed to speak from the Industry cloud of ‘Game God’ status. There are legal reasons why the developers are kept locked up away from the gamers. But we don’t need the ‘Game God’ nonsense.

And it isn’t what customers say that is important. What is important is the behavior of those customers. If the customers stop playing the game in the middle and say they are bored, there is a problem. Customers never fully articulate why they do what they do. So the game maker has to be a very clever analyst of human behavior to figure it out.

“What does Human Behavior have to do with programming a game?”says the kid. It is because a game is only half the experience. The other half of the experience is brought in by the customer. The customer’s life, beliefs, and whatever else are very critical. And the game maker cannot change the customer’s life and beliefs. I always liken the game being the chemical agent and the customers being the environment. When an entertainment phenomena breaks out, the reaction from customers is like lighting fire. The phenomena literally spreads like ‘wildfire’.

It may sound odd, but I am learning so much from these kids! hahaha Waiting for the Industry to die isn’t going to be enough. We have to remake a gaming culture where it is encouraged for any gamer to make their own game. The big “Industry” companies do not like this idea because they see it as a threat! But what type of gaming would you rather have?

What we have now with a few companies and message forums rippling with “console war” and gamers arguing over vapor products?

Or where there are many companies, big and small, with many independents and the message forums are on fire with new ideas and people helping one another to make a game. There are, of course, many people who are not making games but they know how to give constructive criticism.

I would rather live in the second world of gaming. How about you?

Kotaku’s Gut Check

Kotaku is just flabbergasted and confused to discover that its commenters are a big gang of hateful, bile spewing losers that attack anything they don’t like without thinking (be sure to read all the Kotaku links, as this story spans multiple posts and days

Oh, the irony. They created these monsters with their “reporting!!!”
Also, this was just awful and hilarious and predictable all in one, courtesy the hardcore hack Luke Plunkett:

http://kotaku.com/5454378/new-super-mario-bros-wii-has-already-outsold-mario-galaxy

I never read Kotaku so this is all new to me. If Kotaku is busy baiting and attacking gamers, then who are they working for? And likewise, why do sites like IGN think it is a good idea to dump on their readers (specifically the Nintendo ones). Do they not want readers?

A good project for anyone tired of this crap coming from the Industry Controlled Press would be to find out how these sites are getting their revenue. Is it from advertisements? How do they get money? It clearly isn’t coming from attacking their audience. Once we find out how they are getting their revenue, you can knock the pins from underneath them.

I’m pleased that people are giving Kotaku hell. I like gamers because they are smart. And anyone paying attention can tell just how bizarre the press coverage has been this generation. The Wii has always had its last best sales day. “Hardcore gaming” is always about to make a comeback. There were accusations of ‘bias’ back during the previous generation. But this current generation really shows the truth that cannot be denied any longer.

How pathetic is it? Remember Geoff Keighley making the bet with Reggie Fils-Aime about NSMB Wii outselling Modern Warfare 2? It got much media attention. And when it did, and clear it would be that NSMB Wii would easily outsell Modern Warfare 2 on a platform within those months, Keighley began to suddenly jump in and say, “No, Reggie bet against the Xbox 360 version!” When December NPD came out, Keighley’s twitter was him going crazy about “No, Reggie bet against the Xbox 360 version. All the other media misreported it.” It got so pathetic that on NeoGAF, someone said, “But Reggie did bet against the Xbox 360 version. It is in the transcript.” Oh really? “I wrote the transcript,” he would then say.

It was so pathetic because there was VIDEO of the exchange. Keighley’s approach was: “Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?” You cannot argue against the video. In any arena of fact finding, say in the court of law, the video alone would shatter anything else said. But the thing is the interest is not about putting the facts out there. Keighley specifically knows that Nintendo went the User Generated Content direction (all the game journalists know it), but none of them are reporting it. Why? Why do they continue to distort and say things that are not true? Why are they carrying the water that “Casual Games Imploding!” and “Wii sales dying!” when sales data shows Wii sales having the best month of sales of any game console ever made?

Have you noticed that, despite all the talk of ‘third party games don’t sell on Wii’, that much is done to make sure gamers do not rally around a third party game? Every thing party game for Wii is gored by the Industry Controlled Press rather than encouraged. Look at the Industry Controlled Press’s reaction to the Conduit or to even the Call of Duty ports on the Wii. And games like Resident Evil 4, Carnival Games, or Just Dance are just ‘dismissed’ underneath that magical ‘casual’ rug that somehow covers every game that does sell well. If a game like Monster Hunter Tri sold well, it would be declared a ‘casual game’. Incredible how that works. And the games that are ‘championed’ by the Industry Controlled Press are all games they know that aren’t going to sell anyway. Mad World? Zack and Wiki? Who are these people trying to fool?

And it is an amazing coincidence that the Industry Controlled Press champion and pester Nintendo to make games they know will not sell. did you see how NSMB Wii was covered after E3 2009? It was hated on. It was deliberately called a ‘DS port’ when they all knew that wasn’t the case. Wii Sports was hated on as well. Yet, games like 3d Mario and story filled Zelda (“And it needs voice acting!” says Matt) along with the Metroid games are all games that will not break Nintendo out of the N64/Gamecube ditch they were in. However, games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and NSMB Wii are. Keep in mind I am not saying there is ‘hidden agenda’ here. I am only pointing out these amazing coincidences. If anything, it shows just how out of touch the journalists are (that is if they are not Industry Puppets with other people’s hands up their butts).

December’s NPD really scared the crap out of the “Industry”. Wii was not supposed to sell four million in a month. Wii was supposed to be in serious decline by now. So it is why we have seen a sudden rise in viral marketers keep spreading in forums about the “Hidden costs with the Wii” (because of things like *shock* batteries and additional controllers!) and that NSMB Wii is “a lazy game” (then why doesn’t Microsoft make it? Wouldn’t that imply Microsoft is lazier or lacks the talent to make such a game?).

Attacking NSMB Wii will not work. (Note how there were no such attacks on NSMB DS. The reason why is because Microsoft is not competing against the DS, so there was no viral marketer crusade against it.) Gamers all see NSMB Wii as a ‘real game’ and are very happy that it exists. Gamers are never going to hate on Super Mario Brothers.

These ‘journalists’ are really showing just how Industry Controlled or Industry Manipulated they are. “And if they are neither?” Then it shows just how out of touch they are with the gaming market and that they ought to get another job.

I hope they keep it up. By their clumsy actions, they are revealing to all gamers that the “Game Industry” is a fraud.

Email: The Heavy Rain comment

Wii Play is a more sophisticated game experience than what I just saw. And that is excluding the Tanks.”

It’s a damn bold and 100% right statement! I was just picturing an IGN editorial with your phrase as the sub-header, lololol. (another parody idea, maybe?)

I personally am a fan of the tech side of games and I appreciate titles like Batman, Mass Effect, and some other high-value productions.

BUT, and it’s a enormous BUT, this games should be the exception for the SMALLER part of the audience who likes them. I don’t know if you agree, but I see room for every type of game as long as it finds its fans instead of being marketed as THE FUTURE OF VIDEOGAMES.

With Mario selling like water in the desert, I hope that game companies will realize that gaming should return to be about fun and not about numbers.

Have a great week, Sean!
-
The “Industry” is not interested in making games. The “Industry” is interested in making a sausage factory that cranks out soul-less and mediocre games to make big bucks. The “Industry” sees innovation entirely in new ways of marketing or cheaper and faster ways to make a game.
-
This is why when they see the Wii success, they only think ‘marketing success’. When they see NSMB Wii, they only think ‘Mario brand’ or ‘lazy’ due to not many ‘art assets’. This is why when they see people buy the Wii who do not buy their stuff, they see only ‘retarded customers’.
-
The “Game Industry” is about servicing the industry. It is not about servicing gaming.

Someone emailed me this story. It says how ‘Avatar’ is actually the twenty sixth biggest film.

‘Avatar’ is too big to ‘fail’. It is not just a movie. It is about the new 3d technology Hollywood wants to foist on everyone. It HAS to be the biggest thing ever.

When I originally read that ‘Avatar’ was the ‘best selling movie’, I immediately thought, “That is dollar amount. That is not the number of customers.” Remember, best selling books are not tallied by the amount of money but by the number of copies it sold.

Many years ago, someone high up was spouting how healthy and wonderful the ‘Game Industry’ was. (This was before the DS.) I asked him why none of the numbers he threw up listed the number of gamers. He got extremely defensive. “Why would we need to know the number of gamers?” haha I didn’t buy that.

The Movie Industry is important because the Game Industry is mimicking the Movie Industry. Modern Warfare 2 sales are all listed in revenue, not in actual units sold. Granted, publishers would care more about the revenue. However, the units sold is more important to understand its popularity. A jumbo jet brings in tons of revenue. But jumbo jets are not that popular. So units sold have to be looked at, not just revenue.

I’ve talked about how when the new revamped Battlestar Galactica came out, there were many (now admitted) viral marketers on the forums fiercely arguing about how ‘amazing’ the new series was and trying to neutralize the complaints the original BSG fans had. The biggest issue they had was Starbuck being a woman (buck is a male term. Doe would have been the appropriate female term).

Battlestar Galactica was a low rated sci-fi show on cable. Yet, it had viral marketers. A movie of the scale of Avatar would have legions of viral marketers all go out and zero in at anyone saying anything but ‘Avatar is the greatest movie of all time’.

If big movies get these viral marketers as well as low rated cable shows, you better believe that big budget games have their viral marketers as well. I have always wondered why game websites rejoiced in message forums and comments when there is so much trash on both. The reason is for viral marketers to come in and “correct” people’s opinions on the games.

As for me, I believe viral marketers are not much different from virus makers who pollute Windows with their programs. They both deserve their own circle of hell in Dante’s Inferno.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

That Kotaku thing is too funny. I go there maybe once every couple of months and even I know that their community is filled with venomous posters. Yet the people who work for that site don't see it? How out of touch with reality can you be?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Wow.

There's the odd voice of sanity on those Kotaku pages, but they're almost utterly drowned out by the mass of swaddling angry babies.

Makes most other places on the internet seem... nice.

yeah, Kotaku has always had a rather venemous community, but like attracts like, you know?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Torillian said:
Mummelmann said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"I can't believe they implemented a mechanic for drinking orange juice."

That, and the teeth brushing, are like something from WarioWare, only that's a spoof.

"(hint; tutorials are usually very, very boring)"

Hint: That's not a good thing, since that's the first impression when it comes to gameplay.

I've played plenty of good games with boring tutorials. But, you see, I play the actual game as well before I make up my mind, which is obviously above the hallowed and revered Malstrom. Seriously, how has he gathered such a large following being such an ass to every single thing that doesn't match his preference? He wants everyone to love the same things as him and those who don't are morons or fanboys. He's acting like some of our 12-13 year old members defending to the death their favorite games simply out of some bewildered sense of duty with little to no actual substance in the arguments themselves.

In fact don't most Zelda games start with a pretty dull "walk around this town with a POS wooden sword"?  I'm sure if someone stopped playing Zelda before it got out of that first town they'd think the game was pretty crappy and just about fishing.

Malstrom doesn't like the Zelda tutorials either.  He had an entire posting on how the intro to each new Zelda game is getting worse.  And I mostly agree with him!  I lent my Wii Twighlight Princess to two different people when I first got it and both tried Zelda but quit after 10-20 minutes because it's so boring.  Remember that Malstrom is interested in the business context.  His point of view is that these long tutorials are a barrier to having fun and a barrier to selling new customers on the game.  Gamers will play them anyway because we're invested in video games so we're willing to get through an hour of crap to play the quality part of the game.

Frankly, the rest of Heavy Rain may be great, but I think the intro is clearly a bad design.