By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

tagging thread

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:

tagging thread

What does tagging mean in this case?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
KungKras said:

tagging thread

it dissapeared from my side-bar, so I just wrote something to get it back.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
KungKras said:

tagging thread

Okay then.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
KungKras said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
KungKras said:

tagging thread

Okay then.

this

Around the Network

I'm posting the articles I haven't added and there are two new entries on his blog, one of which is a music one.

You have been invited to Malstrom’s Starcraft 2 LAN Party!

The LAN party is taking place in a giant glass skyscraper, Malstrom’s own private home.

Don’t have transportation? Never fear. Malstrom will send his fleet of private jets to pick everyone up.

Don’t feel like lugging your computer over to my glorious estate? Don’t even have a computer? No problem. Every attendee to Malstrom’s Starcraft 2 LAN party will receive a free Mac Pro with Apple’s Cinematic Display.

Malstrom’s personal chefs are working around the clock to provide the most delightful treats.

Food, better than restaurants, will be provided. The most exquisite steak in the world will be available.

Even the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are attending… just because they like Starcraft 2 (who knew!?).

All Blizzard products, past and present, including games and other merchandise, will be free to all who attend. Each attendee to the Malstrom Starcraft 2 LAN Party will get a free subscription to World of Warcraft for life.

All Hollywood celebrities will be attending. They know all the movers and shakers will be at Malstrom’s Starcraft 2 LAN Party.

The richest people in the world will be there.

Since attendees need a way to get home, Malstrom is generously providing everyone with a free car only the super rich can buy.

Since Starcraft 2 requires time for people to ‘practice their build’ and get good, all attendees to Malstrom’s Starcraft 2 LAN Party will never have to work again. All attendees will be given free, lifelong retirement, to any part of the world they choose.

Furthermore, there is…

“Hey, doofus!” shouts a voice. “Didn’t you know there won’t be any LAN in Starcraft 2? What a moron! Haha!”

A philistine on the Internet! I guess this means I am going to have to cancel. Sorry guys. If Blizzard put in LAN, all of the above would be happening.

As a note, I will not be around for a while. This website is fueled by my ‘game time’. Since people do not make games I want to play, that game time turns into ‘website time’.

However, during a rare chance that a game comes out that I want to play, the website time all goes to the game.

Besides, a Blizzard game is released twice a decade. The last game they came out with was World of Warcraft and look what happened there. Who knows what this will bring.

Meanwhile, enjoy the Prego…

While us peasants were not able to see 3DS in person and do not know how the 3d looks like, this Japanese video gives us a taste. Take a look.

“While one million copies in two months (41 days of NPD reporting time) is impressive, it doesn’t approach the level of success enjoyed by the first
Super Mario Galaxy, which broke a million in its first month on the market, only 12 days of which counted for NPD. (The fact that its first month was November may have had something to do with that strong start.)”
You said before that the first Galaxy benefited from the Wii’s high momentum (before UGC brought that screeching to a halt), and that people that bought NSMB Wii would not gravitate towards Galaxy 2, and that the game would probably not even sell as high as the first game.  Well, not to jump the gun, but this seems to vindicate your statements.  Hopefully given the sense of change going on at Nintendo right now, Miyamoto will try to give us more 2D Mario, or will hopefully try to change the 3D Mario’s formula entirely to help it match closer to the values of the audience that bought NSMB Wii.
I think the idea of Mario Galaxy 2 selling to Mario 5 players or outselling Mario Galaxy 1 by any degree is crazy. Direct Mario sequels do not sell better than the original game. And 2d Mario fans have been avoiding 3d Mario for twenty years. What makes Nintendo think they are suddenly going to buy 3d Mario? A DVD documentary? Get out of here.
The reason why Galaxy 2 sold faster in Japan than Galaxy 1 was because of how much Nintendo screwed up Galaxy 1′s launch in Japan. They did no proper advertising. Many Japanese thought Mario Galaxy was a ‘party game’ or something.

Music #60: Ultima VII

As I transition back to this blog, updates will increase.

Here are a few things for giggles:

Pac-Man was intentionally designed for girls:

For the first time, girls flocked to arcades.

“Before Pac-Man was released, most games were aggressive, where you did things like shoot aliens,” explains Iwatani. “Pac-Man was planned around the concept of, ‘Let’s have girls in game arcades.’ This is why the enemy characters were colorful — they would be harder to dislike.”

This solidifies Iwata’s direction of “not making games for oneself”. Nintendo games and even Blizzard games have such wide appeal precisely because they are ‘cute’ and ‘cuddly’.

And here is the periodic chart for video game controllers. If you are a science geek, you will love this.

And as for the latest NPD low numbers for Wii, the reason for low hardware sales is because of uninteresting software. What was the latest big software release for Wii? It was Mario Galaxy 2. The software is clearly not moving the hardware. Wii Party, however, is a different story, and it really shows how embarrassing Mario Galaxy 2 sales are. Keep in mind the purpose of first party software is to move hardware numbers. There is no purpose in being a first party software company if the software wasn’t intended to sell the hardware.

The ‘User Generated Content’ wave of Nintendo games really destroyed the Wii. All Nintendo can do since then is to pick up the pieces. The wave of games following the ‘User Generated Content’ ended up being ‘hardcore games’ as shown at E3 2009 such as Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M. While this wave of games is not as destructive as ‘User Generated Content’, it will not push Wii sales. They actually remind me of ‘Gamecube games’ which means it will lead the hardware to sell like the Gamecube. Seriously, Pikmin 1 and 2 did nothing to rocket the Gamecube up. At best, Pikmin 3 is going to give Wii some Gamecube level sales. The same for more 3d Mario and Yet Another Metroid Game. In other words, Nintendo responding to the ‘hardcore whiners’ is going to retard any recovery of the Wii after the User Generated Content destruction.

What is going to help the Wii are Wii styled games. In other words, Wii Party sells Wii hardware while Mario Galaxy did not. If Nintendo had some decent Wii orientated or Motion Plus games coming out now, which should have been started back in 2007 or 2008, instead of sequels to games of Gamecube philosophy (Pikmin 3, Galaxy 2, Other M), Nintendo would be a better position.

Disruption literature says that the biggest problems occur when a company is at the height of success. We can trace all the current Wii problems back to the Wii highpoint of around 2007. People at Nintendo got extremely arrogant and lost their minds to think they could make games with no content (let amateurs provide the content) as well as resume making games that led them to the Gamecube abyss (more 3d Mario, more Pikmin, cartoon Link, etc).

I don’t think it has dawned on video game makers yet that they will no longer have the opportunity to make the games they want to make. There is decline everywhere. And do you know what the true reason for the decline is? “It is the business model,” sniffs an analyst.

No.

The problem is not how the businesses are set up. The problem is the people in the business. If you keep changing the business model and keep having bad results, maybe you should look at the people the business models revolve around. You can blame either the suits or the developers or both, but it is clear everyone is dodging around the fact that video games are not selling as they used to because they are not as good as they used to be. Game developers who think they are so talented, who go on interviews and talk about their ‘vision’, are not as talented as they think.

The reason for the decline is not because of ‘change in consumer behavior’ or ‘need for new business model’. Much of the decline can be attributed to the ‘talent’ behind the games… both in the business side and in the creative side. It seems most game developers should probably resign and just work for the movie industry since “cinematic experiences” are what they really want to make. Video games, in general, are in decline because developers keep trying to use them as a vehicle of self-expression. What does the development of games have anything to do with self-expression? Sports, which are games, has nothing to do with ‘self expression’. People do not play baseball to ‘express themselves’. People do not go to baseball games to see ‘baseball creativity’. This could explain why that the more a game developer tries to “express himself”, the faster gaming slides into decline.

Did Super Mario Galaxy 2 kill this guy's father and rape his mother? If I knew nothing of game prior to reading this crap I'd assume it was the devil incarnate. There are far worse things that can happen to a console than the fastest selling and highest rated single platform game of the year 8 months in.

He expects Nintendo to get a fluke megahit like Mario Kart Wii every time they try? I seriously doubt Donkey Kong or Wii Party will fare much better in terms of selling consoles. The Wii will be back in the same position this time next year and it won't be because Nintendo made Skyward Sword instead of Wii Potty Training. It's because third parties don't want to develop for it. That endless barrage of great PS3/360 multiplats isn't stopping and the market is starting to take notice.

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Did Super Mario Galaxy 2 kill this guy's father and rape his mother? If I knew nothing of game prior to reading this crap I'd assume it was the devil incarnate. There are far worse things that can happen to a console than the fastest selling and highest rated single platform game of the year 8 months in.

He expects Nintendo to get a fluke megahit like Mario Kart Wii every time they try? I seriously doubt Donkey Kong or Wii Party will fare much better in terms of selling consoles. The Wii will be back in the same position this time next year and it won't be because Nintendo made Skyward Sword instead of Wii Potty Training. It's because third parties don't want to develop for it. That endless barrage of great PS3/360 multiplats isn't stopping and the market is starting to take notice.

Third party support (or lack thereof) has only had minimal negative impact on Wii, and likewise minimal positive impact on PS360. The number of 3rd party killer apps is relatively low, relegated to great franchises like FF and GTA, and neither of those are in the pipeline. While relatively strong, the upcoming lineups of multiplats for PS360 aren't going to really do anything (it's first party on both platforms that's going to help them most in the present and future)

The epoch of good third party support making a difference to hardware sales is over.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

People have to remember that Malstrom is a character. The writer is calculating. He says things designed to annoy people in order to make them argue points and inadvertently rethink their positions - it doesn't always work.

For example, looking at the big picture you can see the vendetta against Mario Galaxy 2 is partially fake. In some posts, he says that direct sequels to Mario games never sell as much as the previous game and this is a fact everyone including Nintendo knows. In others, he frames Galaxy 2 as if it was /expected/ by a delusional Nintendo to sell more. In yet others, he says that Nintendo has to keep their core happy as well as expanding the market. Then he turns around and says a 1st party should only make games if they move new hardware. Then at other times he talks about how Nintendo is stupid for emphasizing Galaxy over 2D Mario and this shows in the content of their games.

The general point he is actually making is that Nintendo - in his view - is not putting as much effort into expanded audience and "returning core" games as they do into their "hardcore" games like Galaxy and Other M. He does have a legitimate point in that New Super Mario Bros Wii, for instance, did not get nearly as many creative new ideas and new world concepts as did either Galaxy game. The "cool stuff" was saved for Galaxy, but NSMBWii was a (very high quality) re-tread of what has already been seen in a 2D Mario. Thus, the idea the guy is getting at in reality seems to be that Nintendo still isn't taking their own expanded audience seriously enough.

Malstrom fans can be pretty crazy though, especially when they don't grasp what the Malstrom writer is doing. There's a crazy hate train for Galaxy 2 and Other M chugging around some Malstrom discussion online by people are very burned; hating on anything they see as core gaming and "game industry".

Mr Khan said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

Third party support (or lack thereof) has only had minimal negative impact on Wii, and likewise minimal positive impact on PS360. The number of 3rd party killer apps is relatively low, relegated to great franchises like FF and GTA, and neither of those are in the pipeline. While relatively strong, the upcoming lineups of multiplats for PS360 aren't going to really do anything (it's first party on both platforms that's going to help them most in the present and future)

The epoch of good third party support making a difference to hardware sales is over.

Wait. Did you just say Third Party support doesn't make a difference? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. I won't even dignify that with a mature response.