By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Where should I start the God of War series?

--OkeyDokey-- said:
God of War 1 and 2 have some of the best opening sequences in gaming history. If you didn't enjoy them, don't bother.

bingo, I couldnt say it better.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

I think the agreement here is that there are some games where you can get a measure of it in a relatively short space of time, and this is one of those.

If you didnt' like it in the first hour, either you weren't playing right or the game isn't for you. I have no reason to thinkn you were playing in any non-standard way, so my conclusion is that it's probably not for you.

If you do play again, kill the Hydra and then evaluate your experience

Naz, know this. This series is not about gameplay, never has been. The gameplay is not deep. It is very, very shallow. The game can be easily beaten with the Square Square Triangle button combo. The gameplay isn't the reason you play this game.

This was a game based off DMC, but it decided to take a different route. Instead of being about deep combat and character leveling(the leveling in GoW is shallow and unnecessary, besides increased your weapons strength to match that of reskinned enemies), the game is about the story, and the puzzles.

A lot of people don't like pure action games. They aren't really into games that require a lot out of you mentally to master, and they don't feel much of a sense of satisfaction for mastering them. There are people would would rather have puzzles, and work things out, and have a pretty fun relatively deep button masher with a great story, some puzzles, and interesting badass character design and development.

What your problem is, is that you went into the game thinking it's about the gameplay, and not the overall experience. That was my problem as well, because there is a shitload of that boring ass gameplay, lol, so I figured that was the point.

It's not. Believe it or not, some people really dig those puzzles, and they even say(on the gamefaqs forums, because I've researched this) that the puzzles and ease of difficulty are what make the game superior to some of its deeper rivals like Ninja Gaiden.

So, knowing that the game is based entirely upon its story, puzzles, ease of access, production values, and main character, there is nowhere to start, but the very beginning, if for nothing else, to take in the relatively small amount of story the first game provides.

If, like me, you are a fan of deep gameplay, and are expecting this to be a DMC clone with a better story that you just can't seem to figure out how to access, give up. It's not that. The gameplay in God of War is nothing if not shallow, and I'm assuming the first time you figured that out, like myself, you were climbing or on some sort of a rope, playing a minigame to perform a finishing move, or in the midst of a quick time even, instead of using a button combination or a technique.

Every boss battle, every enemy, and every scenerio has one strategy. Square, Square, Triangle. That is in stark contrast to bosses in NG or DMC which require often complex techniques to vanquish and are really the main points of those games. The first GoW really has almost no boss battles in it at all, just to give you an idea, but it has hours of regular enemies which are based around puzzles. AKA: Find the enemies in the maze to proceed, or kill the enemies before the time limit is done, or before the wall slams shut, ect. It's the overall feel of the games, and not the gameplay that make these games so popular to a certain mainsteam audience, and so hated by people like myself.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Naz, know this. This series is not about gameplay, never has been. The gameplay is not deep. It is very, very shallow. The game can be easily beaten with the Square Square Triangle button combo. The gameplay isn't the reason you play this game.

This was a game based off DMC, but it decided to take a different route. Instead of being about deep combat and character leveling(the leveling in GoW is shallow and unnecessary, besides increased your weapons strength to match that of reskinned enemies), the game is about the story, and the puzzles.

A lot of people don't like pure action games. They aren't really into games that require a lot out of you mentally to master, and they don't feel much of a sense of satisfaction for mastering them. There are people would would rather have puzzles, and work things out, and have a pretty fun relatively deep button masher with a great story, some puzzles, and interesting badass character design and development.

What your problem is, is that you went into the game thinking it's about the gameplay, and not the overall experience. That was my problem as well, because there is a shitload of that boring ass gameplay, lol, so I figured that was the point.

It's not. Believe it or not, some people really dig those puzzles, and they even say(on the gamefaqs forums, because I've researched this) that the puzzles and ease of difficulty are what make the game superior too some of its deeper rivals like Ninja Gaiden.

So, knowing that the game is based entirely upon its story, puzzles, ease of access, production values, and main character, there is nowhere to start, but the very beginning, if for nothing else, to take in the relatively small amount of story the first game provides.

If, like me, you are a fan of deep gameplay, and are expecting this to be a DMC clone with a better story that you just can't seem to figure out how to access, give up. It's not that. The gameplay in God of War is nothing if not shallow, and I'm assuming the first time you figured that out, like myself, you were climbing or on some sort of a rope, playing a minigame to perform a finishing move, or in the midst of a quick time even, instead of using a button combination or a technique.

Every boss battle, every enemy, and every scenerio has one strategy. Square, Square, Triangle.

This might be the most insulting post I have ever read.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Hey Zen, could you source that claim about God of War being based on DMC please

Thanks

Around the Network

While I appreciate your never give up attitude, perhaps you should try a different game from the genre. If playing the games 5-6 times does not get you into them perhaps you should try a GOW clone like Ninja Blade, Afro Samurai or Bayonetta.

As said above get to a boss and beat it. If you do not feel fulfilled you are probably playing the wrong genre of game. I personally feel that GOW is more about art direction, gore and graphics than it is gameplay(which you can get from plenty of similar games).

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Khuutra said:

Thanks

That's actually just my opinion, as is the rest of my comment, and unless I source it, you can probably just assume that any opinion I give on this forum is an opinion.

If you would like me to back it up, I'd rather not. I actually didn't mean for my last post to be insulting. Let me just say that I do personally believe that since DMC(2001) came out first, and to an extent invented or revolutionized the subgenre that God of War later joined(2005),(an opinion) and that the game shared many similarities, that is how I came to my opinion.

It is also my opinion that Dead Space is based on Resident Evil 4. It is also my opinion that the motion control boom for the HD consoles is based on the Wii's success, and that Dante's Inferno is based on God of War, but I can't source it, it's a deduction, and not a fact, and everything anyone says on any forum should be taken as such unless explicitly stated otherwise, imho.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Play them all! Skipping them and playing GoW 3 is not good!

You will miss many plot points and may not even fully understand why you are killing the Gods in GoW 3!
Plus the game has an amazing story anyway, it definitely gets better as you get further into the game.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Khuutra said:

Thanks

That's actually just my opinion, as is the rest of my comment, and unless I source it, you can probably just assume that any opinion I give on this forum is an opinion.

If you would like me to back it up, I'd rather not. I actually didn't mean for my last post to be insulting. Let me just say that I do personally believe that since DMC(2001) came out first, and to an extent invented or revolutionized the subgenre that God of War later joined(2005),(an opinion) and that the game shared many similarities, that is how I came to my opinion.

It is also my opinion that Dead Space is based on Resident Evil 4. It is also my opinion that the motion control boom for the HD consoles is based on the Wii's success, and that Dante's Inferno is based on God of War, but I can't source it, it's a deduction, and not a fact, and everything anyone says on any forum should be taken as such unless explicitly stated otherwise, imho.

"God of War was inspired by Devil May Cry" is not an opinion, it's a statement of fact.

if you don't have any source for that, then I believe that answers my question in its own way.

The rest of your opinions aren't really on-topic.

Khuutra said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Khuutra said:

Thanks

"God of War was inspired by Devil May Cry" is not a opinion, it's a statement of fact.

if you don't have any source for that, then I believe that answers my question in its own way.

The rst of your opinions aren't really on-topic.

It's a declairation. It's not exactly a "statement of fact." I mean "the rst of your opinions aren't really on-topic." is a declaration, but it's not really a statement of fact. It's your opinion. I actually suggested that Naz start with (edited)God of War 1(edited) later in my original post, so that certainly would be on topic(again, this sentence is a declaration, not a statement of fact).

As for my post, it is an anecdote for Naz, to help him where to decided to start, or not start. Actually, I kinda figured that he already believed many of the things I was saying, and just needed some validation for his beliefs before he finally gave up  on the game, but I understand if he doesn't want to. I have currently started replaying the games in the GoW collection on PS3, and the puzzles aren't really as bad as I remembered them.

Anyway, let's not fight. I'm sorry if I offended God of War. It's not a game I love, so I might not coddle it, even in the midst of its fans. Everything I've said is an opinion, so I'm sorry..

NO NO, NO NO NO.