By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: Nintendo is Lazy and You Don't Care (Goes on a tirade against Nintendo)

*sigh*...

Around the Network

Lets remember that twilight princess is more a GAMECUBE than a WII game.

It is basically the same thing as new play control, but nintendo holded on the game release to release it before on the wii and only after on the gamecube.

The bottom line is pretty clear on Nintendo part.

This gen only Sony is the one sacrificing more for gamers, to bad that consumers don't see...

MAG, heavy rain, free realms, free PSN, DC universe are such a financial liability I am outstound someone greenlight it, but I am gladly they did.

solidpumar said:

It is basically the same thing as new play control, but nintendo holded on the game release to release it before on the wii and only after on the gamecube.

This gen only Sony is the one sacrificing more for gamers, to bad that consumers don't see...

MAG, heavy rain, free realms, free PSN, DC universe are such a financial liability I am outstound someone greenlight it, but I am gladly they did.

By god, just be quiet. Seriously.

solidpumar said:

After releasing a $600 console, I'd expect them to do something like that..

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

It is sad that Matt mixes up some very justified complains with things he just doesn't understand.

What's true: Nintendo doesn't make enough big games, and those GC ports were just lame. And Wii Sports doesn't do it for me either, it's too shallow for my taste.

But Matt should have left NSMBWii out of his rant.
He simply didn't get what Miyamoto was saying when he talked about the Toads and Mario/Luigi being similar in their bodily dimensions. It's not about cutting costs and reusing models or whatever. There was a conscious decision that all 4 characters should play identically, so they had to choose a character whose body shape makes sense in relation to Mario's jump physics. The princess' doesen't, and she already has a trademark jump move - the hovering! Furthermore, since this is a tribute to the original SMB, the princess is supposed to be rescued.
Other characters - who would have made sense? Wario and Birdo are baddies. It's different from the Kart & Sports games, where anything goes - those are not "canonical"! And Yoshi already is in the game. OK, they could have invented a new one. I'm just trying to say: It's not as simple as Matt makes it look.

Btw., Nintendo provided insight into a similar issue recently, when Aonuma was asked about the art style of handheld Zelda games. He answered that, since the screen is smaller, it's easier to interact with a character that is more square-shaped and "squashed" in his appearance (-> comic-like), especially with the stylus. Those are the reasonings behind Nintendo's decisions, but Matt prefers to rant, cause he knows it all better.

NSMBWii doesn't look and play like the DS game, it's just not true. That's ignorant. While playing, I often thought "this is a masterclass in game design"... the amount of thought and polish is just that high. Sure it's nostalgic, sure it builds upon the classics - that's the concept! But the way it mixes up old ideas and adds new perspectives is anything but lazy.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
Around the Network

Most gaming journalists have became lazy, and think the whole world turns around their little ego and everything THEY may like, all that written in their "famous" web pages... they're so out of touch it's not even funny anymore...

Now, if excellent games are "few and far between" on Wii (or DS), it's because of the risk-averse strategy and the uncreative way of thinking of most of this industry: i don't blame Nintendo, because the games we like take more and more time, and they just can't release 10 "Zelda-Galaxy like" games each year... no gaming company has such a task force, with the possible exceptions of EA and Activision (and for games spread on ALL consoles)...

If at least a decent part of the third parties (especially the western ones) had simply done their job, just like they did with the PS2 a few years ago, there would be no gap in the Wi's line-up, there would be more high scores on Metacritic, and there would be an even larger choice of "creative, AAA" games for all Wii owners...

In the same time, a "simple" game like Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story has more creativity and more fresh gameplay ideas than most of the games released each year, on any platform...

Both Wii and DS gave us at least 10 to 20 MASTERPIECES (most made by... Nintendo), and the fact these consoles DO exist, and are able to give us new gaming experiences, new interactivity, new controls, new gameplay, is a testimony to "Nintendo's lazyness"...

And a last point: when a game like "Little King's Story" (my Wii game of the year) reaches the same creativity and the same standards as Nintendo's all-time best, it's not even mentioned in IGN's top listings... so why should i care about what they think? Why am i supposed to visit their site, and create revenues for them?

They think they're important? They're not...

Cassamina is not a creative genius, Miyamoto is... Cassamina is not an outstanding businessman, Iwata is... Cassamina has never produced anything which made life better, to the opposite of... all the Nintendo teams, for nearly three decades now...

My final word: boycott the lazy "journalists" and the bad webistes, and care about the GAMES, and not the "opinions"... simple as that...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

god Matt its called a fucking business.

i swear to god that half of the core gamers are turning into a bunch of sooks

"Some of these games -- like DK Jungle Beat and Mario Power Tennis -- are actually worse on Wi"

Jungle Beat Wii is better than the original and Pikmin 1+2 and MP 1+2 are far better than the original.

Nintendo already brought many good games to the Wii (Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, SMBB, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Endless Ocean, Day of Crisis etc.) and many more games are announced for 2010 (Galaxy 2, Endless Ocean, Metroid Other M, Sin&Punishment 2, Monado-The Beginning of a New World, Cosmic Walker etc.) and we know that some other games are in production (Pikmin 3, Starfox Wii, Zelda Wii). So whats the fuzz all about?

Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, NSMB Wii, Wii Sports Resort are games that you don't get every year. They are truly outstanding games that need long development time. And you get such outstanding games only on the Wii.

On the other side there are games like Halo 3, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2. Games that are not outstanding in any way, but they have great graphics. Such games don't need a really long development time.

I wonder why he doesn't write one of these for the third parties.

KylieDog said:
Azelover said:
I wonder why he doesn't write one of these for the third parties.

Because third parties aren't being lazy on the HD consoles.  Nintendo is confined to Wii.

No they're not, they have the DS.

They're being lazy on the Wii versus Nintendo. I'm not talking just about making games but also creating a market. Making games is more than just development, you have to understand a context for it.

You don't need to stuff content down people's throats, being lazy to me is only listening to one group of people and not caring about the real customer. From my perspective, third parties are being lazy everywhere, and I have a PS3.