By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Matt Casamassina: Nintendo is Lazy!

maykissthebride said:

Im not the voice of truth. Im just the 8.982.635º one to say this

Check this:

Nintendo showed developers and publishers alike that its possible to make small, cheap, lame games and make a profit out of each one of them.

That is possible to make games with minimum effort and quality, and yet still have profit

And that´s what publishers have been doing for the past 3 years. Releasing small cheap games for the Wii. They complain, but they keep shoving the market with the same type of games.

The wii can handle this because they have an expanded audience, gathered around because of the acessibility of motion controls

Activision just released Modern Warfare 2 for the HD consoles. It sold 6 million copies in one month. Its A LOT! Its a MAJOR HIT! However, the game also cost A LOT in development, and took A LOT of time to get done.

Next year, PS3 and 360 will also have motion controls too. The goal here is obviouslly the same expanded audience the Wii have right now.

So all major consoles will have the expanded audience on its hands. And all publishers will chase the same objective as nintendo and wii´s 3rd partys have these days: "Make smaller, cheaper, lamer games. Release more games per year. Have more profit in a shorter amount of time."

And that will lead to a new videogame crash, because consumers will be fed up with shovelware in no time! Just like in 1984!!! Only thing that will last will be facebook games, because they´re free and social, and cellphone games, because they´re cheap and mobile.

Look, i dont want to insult nobody, but fanboys really live in a world of them own. They just ignore everything its happening around to scream "nooooooooo... you´re wrooooooooooong..... NSMB its the most innovative game of all tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimeee..."

It isnt. Its a copy of new super mario bros DS. This can look somehow like a nice idea now, but it wont be in the future.

And remember: its not just me. A LOT of people can see all this happening. To tell you the truth, only real nintendo fanboys ignore this whole situation

A lot of people are often extremely wrong. You clearly don't know what actually led to the market crash of the mid eighties, so I am just going to ignore that entirely.

The fact that you continue to call them lazy means you have no fucking clue what you are talking about with these games. You do realize that you have to budget a game around the intended number of sales right? So games like Punch-out get low funding so they can actually be profitable. On the flip-side NSMBWii was extensively worked on, tested, and tweaked to damn near perfection. The fact that they have videos of the game being speed run is irrefutable proof that they tested the game to hell and back, and tweaked it accordingly. But since it is in 480p, and recycles a couple of sprites it is lazy? Give me a break.

What is hysterical about it all is people keep claiming it is too similar to NSMB for the DS. This is obviously false to anyone who actually plays the game, but lets play devil's advocate. What, exactly, makes Modern Warfare 2 so different from the other Call of Duty games? I would argue they play the exact same, but I doubt you would agree. Somehow, though, glossing over the significant differences as a way to attack Nintendo, but other games that do exactly what NSMBWii is being accused of are heralded as the best ever. Hypocrisy at its worst.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

lso to add to this.

you say Nintendo need a kick in the balls to get their game straight. That is fine. but what exactly do you want from them?

No matter what they do people are always unpleased.

This has been said 100 times already

N64:

- 3rd parties complained about how hard it was to get a game on the system because of quality control being too high of a standard.

- fan complained about lack of 3rd party games.

Gamecube:

- 3rd parties said we do not want to develope because we cannot compete with Nintendo software.

Wii:

- Nintendo takes a break to ALLOW for 3rd party software (even Reggie said giving them a window to do so).

- 3rd parties release crap games then blame wii for poor sales. when they dont even bring AAA titles or advertising budgets. Most the decent 3rd party games can ony be baught online as stores don't stock them.

- fans bitch about bring back quality control.

So from all this tell me WHAT DO THEY NEED TO DO?

personally i would love if it was just Nintendo games only but that would mean WAY less hardware sales and less games. Can you accept that?

To tell you the truth, i kinda have an answer to this.

I dont know if its the BEST answer but it is one.

Look, the wii lacks good 3rd party games. But up until now, its IMPOSSIBLE to name a single AAA game made by third parties that had hit the system.(at least on the west. japan already got Monster Hunter 3)

Which means: 3rd party complains, but dont want to put real money on the system, so wii lack good games.

Nintendo does what it can. Release its own half assed games while get Zelda done.

They cant release more games because internal teams already got their hands full.

What´s the answer: to publish some 3rd party games and/or buy new studios and make them internal developers

Nintendo already does that! Sin and Punishment 2 is a exemple. Reginlev is coming in february under this situation> But it needs to do more

Nintendo probably needs to fill up the year calendary with nintendo published games made by outside studios.

3rd party publishers dont want to invest some real money on the wii? f*** em! Lets get this show done by ourselves then!!!!

You cant say they dont have the money to do this. They have.

maykissthebride said:
Farmageddon said:

t.hanks for your enlightenment oh voice of truth.

Really, you either tell me why exactly are two Toads a big deal and NPC a bad thing, or stop calling me the blind fanboy. Your choice.

(edited for spelling)

Im not the voice of truth. Im just the 8.982.635º one to say this

Check this:

Nintendo showed developers and publishers alike that its possible to make small, cheap, lame games and make a profit out of each one of them.

That is possible to make games with minimum effort and quality, and yet still have profit

And that´s what publishers have been doing for the past 3 years. Releasing small cheap games for the Wii. They complain, but they keep shoving the market with the same type of games.

The wii can handle this because they have an expanded audience, gathered around because of the acessibility of motion controls

Activision just released Modern Warfare 2 for the HD consoles. It sold 6 million copies in one month. Its A LOT! Its a MAJOR HIT! However, the game also cost A LOT in development, and took A LOT of time to get done.

Next year, PS3 and 360 will also have motion controls too. The goal here is obviouslly the same expanded audience the Wii have right now.

So all major consoles will have the expanded audience on its hands. And all publishers will chase the same objective as nintendo and wii´s 3rd partys have these days: "Make smaller, cheaper, lamer games. Release more games per year. Have more profit in a shorter amount of time."

And that will lead to a new videogame crash, because consumers will be fed up with shovelware in no time! Just like in 1984!!! Only thing that will last will be facebook games, because they´re free and social, and cellphone games, because they´re cheap and mobile.

Look, i dont want to insult nobody, but fanboys really live in a world of them own. They just ignore everything its happening around to scream "nooooooooo... you´re wrooooooooooong..... NSMB its the most innovative game of all tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimeee..."

It isnt. Its a copy of new super mario bros DS. This can look somehow like a nice idea now, but it wont be in the future.

And remember: its not just me. A LOT of people can see all this happening. To tell you the truth, only real nintendo fanboys ignore this whole situation

If 9 million people think like this, then there are about 50 million others who think otherwise. But of course, your slice of the pie is right, because judging if a game is good is not about how much fun you have, as those stupid 50 million people would tell you, no.

"Nintendo showed developers and publishers alike that its possible to make small, cheap, lame games and make a profit out of each one of them.

That is possible to make games with minimum effort and quality, and yet still have profit"

Really, NSMBW is not small, it's not lame, it's as quality as it gets and you may think there's no effort, but you obviously think level design is not an important part of a game. I doubt any other company could make a platformer this good right now, no matter how much money they invested.

Of course, it's not just about NSMBW. You think Wii Sports/Resort is not quality? Just because it doesn't fit your taste? Yet dozens of millions of people would take these games over many of your "quality games".

Also, it's stupid to think Developers would simply turn their back to a 63 million userbase already developed and basically restart this generation because of Wand and Natal. They'll try to make their "casual games" there and build an audience, but they won't abandon the market they already got.

And NSMBW is so not a copy of NSMB. There are different mechanics, all new levels (and levels are actually one if not the most important part of a platformer), new modes, and so on. Of course Mario still jumps and gets powerups, but what did you expect?

Sure, it's not just you who think Nintendo is Lazy. But then it's not just me who think it's not just like that. You can say only nintendo fanboys think like me. I can say only trolls think like, so what's the point? We'd both probably be wong by a long shot anyway.

Oh, btw, remember I asked you why are two Todas such a big deal and why is NPC a bad idea? You didn't really answer any of that, did you?

If 9 million people think like this, then there are about 50 million others who think otherwise. But of course, your slice of the pie is right, because judging if a game is good is not about how much fun you have, as those stupid 50 million people would tell you, no.

Those 50 million wii owners dont mean 50 million people that think about the game industry. Most of them are just people that play it on christmas when the family is around.

The people that think and say something about the game industry... well, these people can see a bleak future.

Oh, btw, remember I asked you why are two Todas such a big deal and why is NPC a bad idea? You didn't really answer any of that, did you?

Because it isnt a big deal. The article wasnt even about it. Cmon, i know youre smarter than this! You just messing with me, arent you? I thought you were joking with this question!

maykissthebride said:

Those 50 million wii owners dont mean 50 million people that think about the game industry. Most of them are just people that play it on christmas when the family is around.

The people that think and say something about the game industry... well, these people can see a bleak future.

Because it isnt a big deal. The article wasnt even about it. Cmon, i know youre smarter than this! You just messing with me, arent you? I thought you were joking with this question!

No, I wasn't joking, know why? Just read my first post in this topic. ALL it addressed was how his complaint about the Two Toads and NPC made no sense. And yet you called me a blind fanboy for that. How can I be a blind fanboy when I defend something you actually think is right? So even if Nintendo is right, the simple fact of stating so makes you a dellusional Nintendo lover?

And this "99% of Nintendo owners are casuals" is backed by no evidense and makes no sense. Think about it. Compare the sales of Nintendo's main, "core", franchises to those on GC. Sure, feel free to discard Mario Kart. My point is, I believe Wii has at least as many "true gamers" as you'd put as GC had. I'd bet it actually has more, but still, that represents dozens of millions, doesn't it?

Edited: Also, take VGChartz Wii owners community as a sample. These are "core" gamers that could be considered well informed, and then of course it's the internet so hyperbole and whyning are higher than normal. Point is, you'll see that stating that most "core" Wii owners do think like you is not so right.

Around the Network

I really don't think Nintendo is lazy. They just do things very differently.

I'm totally ok with people not liking Nintendo games. That's none of my business. Dislike to your hearts content. Just don't confuse that dislike with a lack of quality or appeal to people other than yourself. And don't scoff off the bravery it takes trying to put things on the market that caters to different values, or the effort it takes to deliver on them.

This is invisible text!

Fatt isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so I never read what he has to say.

Stoped reading around the 3rd paragraph. Matts interpretation is flawed. Miyamoto did not said that they choosed toad for easier rigging of animations. He just said, that it was b/c he was similar to Mario, so every playable character was "even".

SOOOOOO much shit ..... SOOOO much shit. 

Oh and btw Nintendo is lazy, but not for choosing toads. Modeling, Texturing and Rigging some low poly models wouldn't take a day for an experienced artist. Nintendo is lazy for the shitty 2d textures of NWSBW levels.

I agree 100% with Matt. I basically only have my Wii for two reasons, Nintendos own REAL games like Mario, Metroid & Zelda, and then for VC. Otherwise theres little reason for me to own a Wii.

I have a strange feeling... when Zelda Wii comes out that a lot of people are going to forget that they though Nintendo Abandoned them. I am happy with Nintendo. That is all i hae to say.